• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Bunnery

Hey,
Has anyone bought and used the bunnery from Dunster housing? Thinking of getting one when we move house but wondered if anyone has any experience with it? I did try a search but couldn'r find anything.

My personal view is that it's a lovely idea but pretty impractical ...and everyone who tries to provide constructive feedback seems to get abuse and/or blocked from their Facebook page (myself included!) Which I'll be honest, means that I wouldn't buy from them on principle anyway!

It's a lovely size item but it opens at the front - meaning it's quite dark and without much sunshine being able to get in down there under that massive looming roof and how on earth are you supposed to catch your rabbits without them either escaping or getting incredibly stressed? The interior 'bedroom' part opens at the end - meaning you're effectively cleaning out a 6ft hutch from the short end rather than the side, which isn't terribly practical.

There's a lot of bluster online about how their accommodation is the only accommodation which meets the HEART standard, giving you reassurance about how these products are designed to meet the needs of rabbits. Except of course that the HEART standard isn't independent science, it was created by the company themselves and covers things that are entirely ridiculous and not necessary to be built into housing in my view and hence of course no-one else is going to adopt it.

I think you could get something much better and more practical for the same sort of money. But hey, this is just my opinion...other people might think it's amazing...

Thanks. I wouldn't want to buy from a company that has a 'shut up and block' attitude to feedback. It makes me wary about how you would be dealt with if there is an issue after ordering.

Shame as I really liked the look of it. Just want something with a covered bed area and a run that is tall enough to walk into to make clean out easier.

Ah ok you're looking at the bunnery shed - my product-specific comments relate to the bunny bunker item of the range. I still think there are better products out there from companies with a better attitude. Either specifically designed for rabbits like manor pet housing or boyles pet housing, or dog kennel type enclosures which would give the same sort of effect with a bit of modification.

They have recently also started offering "advice" on their rabbit product Facebook page. One of the latest gems it that to bond rabbits, put them in a pet carrier for at least 24 hours and if they fight, turn the pet carrier on its side and keep turning it until they stop. Maybe this explains why they seem to think that bonded rabbits need separate areas in their housing so they can get away from each other?

I have since seen some on Manor housing that look good. A little pricer but seem sturdier and well made.

Blimey bonding rabbits isn't the same as making a salad dressing. You can't just pop them in a pot and shake them until they emulsify!! That is awful

I really liked the Dunster stuff, I wanted to get the skywarren. However, when I phoned, left a message, no one got back to me. I called again to ask if they could modify the product (I wanted it bigger) and the guy on the phone just said they couldn't modify anything as it was all pre made. I did like the skywarren idea, but decided that it was expensive and not actually that big inside. The new one to me seemed over engineered, really heavy and , like Santa said, seemed really impractical. My view is that there's more emphasis on the durability of the hutches, than the space they get. I went for a bespoke Boyles walk in run attached to a large shed in the end. I got the bunnies in half of it and my gardening stuff in the other. Perfick! Again, my opinion and I didn't get a Dunster product so they may be great. I do really like the vertical space idea they had.

I have since seen some on Manor housing that look good. A little pricer but seem sturdier and well made.[\b]

Blimey bonding rabbits isn't the same as making a salad dressing. You can't just pop them in a pot and shake them until they emulsify!! That is awful

I have some of the MPH products and they're brilliant.
Incredibly well made, adjusted to suit needs and the company are really easy to contact and happy to help anyway they can.
The girls chewed through one item, a hay feeder, and instead of them telling me to get stuffed they explained how I could fix the product myself at home.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I really liked the Dunster stuff, I wanted to get the skywarren. However, when I phoned, left a message, no one got back to me. I called again to ask if they could modify the product (I wanted it bigger) and the guy on the phone just said they couldn't modify anything as it was all pre made. I did like the skywarren idea, but decided that it was expensive and not actually that big inside. The new one to me seemed over engineered, really heavy and , like Santa said, seemed really impractical. My view is that there's more emphasis on the durability of the hutches, than the space they get. I went for a bespoke Boyles walk in run attached to a large shed in the end. I got the bunnies in half of it and my gardening stuff in the other. Perfick! Again, my opinion and I didn't get a Dunster product so they may be great. I do really like the vertical space idea they had.

I think they've stopped doing the sky warren, because it doesn't meet their new made-up accommodation standard. I know people who had them and absolutely hated them - said they were really unstable in strong wind, and the higher levels are virtually impossible to clean properly because they are so deep and high off the ground. As with a lot of their products, I think there are some good ideas but they would do a lot better to actually listen to potential customer feedback rather than just be rude about it.

I have the bunny bunker for my two rabbits,
The sleeping area is good and the plastic means it is easy to clean, and the downstairs area is not too dark.
However, it doesn't have a floor and is meant to be on grass... as you many know rabbits will quickly demolish this and you will be left mud. Luckily I had wire mesh fitted under the grass so nothing was digging in or out I covered the grass with tarpaulin, and then newspaper, and then towels/fleece. So the downstairs area is really now an extension of the sleeping area rather than a run. Luckily they have access to an outdoor pen with a digging area which is bed on Aubiose.
The door is pretty big so you can easily get inside it to clean it
You may want to get some clear tarp as a hutch cover for the front as well though, as there is a lot of mesh and so near the edges the buns can be exposed to the elements. I have also used wood to provide extra protection.
The mesh is strong though, and the timber is pressure treated.
It is expensive, but it is good quality...
Hope this helps

Back