• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boy trouble

So it was lovely outside today so I put our two runs together (one is old and my dad built it for my first bunny about 20 years ago) they were side by side just like in there room and Truffle only grunted at Luther a bit when I was sorting out one side of the pen....which apparently Truffle didn't like. Otherwise it was the same behaviour as in their room which was good. I kept checking on them out the kitchen window, but when I went to make my lunch Luther was gone!! I ran out the back and saw his nose poking out under a bush (thank God because we back onto a field) and luckily he's the one ok bring handled.

I don't know how he did it. So back to the room we went. At least they had maybe a few hours outside. I posted pics of them and someone I know said putting them in a new place means they will have to start again. But back in their room they are exactly the same as if nothing happened so I think it's ok.
Shame it doesn't look like this idea will solve their boredom and my carpet. I put a slab in the corner of the room he started ripping up....so he's doing it to a different corner instead now and I'm out of slabs! Lol. I don't know if moving to the next step is too soon still it's only been a week today and they aren't choosing to be together they just kind of do their own thing, sniff each other, run around together at bed time and bump noses sometimes.

It's hard to know what's best for them. X

So it was lovely outside today so I put our two runs together (one is old and my dad built it for my first bunny about 20 years ago) they were side by side just like in there room and Truffle only grunted at Luther a bit when I was sorting out one side of the pen....which apparently Truffle didn't like. Otherwise it was the same behaviour as in their room which was good. I kept checking on them out the kitchen window, but when I went to make my lunch Luther was gone!! I ran out the back and saw his nose poking out under a bush (thank God because we back onto a field) and luckily he's the one ok bring handled.

I don't know how he did it. So back to the room we went. At least they had maybe a few hours outside. I posted pics of them and someone I know said putting them in a new place means they will have to start again. But back in their room they are exactly the same as if nothing happened so I think it's ok.
Shame it doesn't look like this idea will solve their boredom and my carpet. I put a slab in the corner of the room he started ripping up....so he's doing it to a different corner instead now and I'm out of slabs! Lol. I don't know if moving to the next step is too soon still it's only been a week today and they aren't choosing to be together they just kind of do their own thing, sniff each other, run around together at bed time and bump noses sometimes.

It's hard to know what's best for them. X

Goodness, what a hair-raising moment when Luther disappeared! How on earth did he do it?

I'm glad you've got him, and all is well. Apart from your carpet :shock:

Goodness, what a hair-raising moment when Luther disappeared! How on earth did he do it?

I'm glad you've got him, and all is well. Apart from your carpet :shock:

Thank you. Yes my heart literally stopped when I realised. So lucky he wasn't far away and just minding his own business. My two theories are he either climbed on the box in the run and got out the tiny gap in the "roof" as this old one doesn't have one, or he pushed his way hard through the corner where the panels meet. Even Truffle never escaped when he used to go in it before we got a proper run!

I know it sounds a bit silly in the long run about the carpet, especially if they do become buddies....it's just new and wasn't cheap lol. I keep thinking it's for the greater good!

Thank you. Yes my heart literally stopped when I realised. So lucky he wasn't far away and just minding his own business. My two theories are he either climbed on the box in the run and got out the tiny gap in the "roof" as this old one doesn't have one, or he pushed his way hard through the corner where the panels meet. Even Truffle never escaped when he used to go in it before we got a proper run!

I know it sounds a bit silly in the long run about the carpet, especially if they do become buddies....it's just new and wasn't cheap lol. I keep thinking it's for the greater good!

Actually, not silly at all! I am annoyed when my rabbits threaten to destroy/wee on anything in the house and I take steps to avert :)

Actually, not silly at all! I am annoyed when my rabbits threaten to destroy/wee on anything in the house and I take steps to avert :)

Second this! It's still your home too, and you don't want behaviours like that in it. It's a delicate balancing act, I think - you have to accept with rabbits in the house that they might destroy things, but you're still entitled to be peeved when they do, and try to discourage them.

Thank goodness you got Luther back! Forgive me if you've tried this, but could you mock up something that they could come together to do - eg some foraging in their hay? Helps to keep them entertained and provides something to bond over. Forage boxes have been a life-saver during our bond!

Second this! It's still your home too, and you don't want behaviours like that in it. It's a delicate balancing act, I think - you have to accept with rabbits in the house that they might destroy things, but you're still entitled to be peeved when they do, and try to discourage them.

Thank goodness you got Luther back! Forgive me if you've tried this, but could you mock up something that they could come together to do - eg some foraging in their hay? Helps to keep them entertained and provides something to bond over. Forage boxes have been a life-saver during our bond!

I'm so glad it's not just me. When Truffle had the run of downstairs he very very rarely dug or bit the carpet and if he did I was right there to tell him "no". Luther also in his room upstairs never really bothered with the carpet which makes me think it's either boredom or frustration they can't get together maybe...
It will be fine if eventually they bond and come to live downstairs with us because we can say "no" right away, but I can't supervise them all day while they are together up there so they stop by the time they hear me coming haha!

I did try and make Luther one with a shallow box and tissue paper and pellets but the novilty wore off fast and ended up being a toilet lol! But I think maybe like your suggesting maybe I need to up my game with a bigger box full of hay to forage and pellets inside. I found one of the cats treat balls which fit Luther's baby pellets in so I will see if that entertains him a bit too. Thank you for the suggestions I really appreciate it :)

I suspect he did get out the hole in the roof.
So glad you managed to get him back quickly.

As others have said, you've ever right to still be peed when they ruin items. It's partly the reason we haven't brought new carpets for the house.

As they're still not choosing to be together I'd be hesitant to try yet. Rushing it could make things take even longer.

You could pick up a couple of 32l underbed storage boxed for a couple £ at a local shop to make the hay forage trays for them (you could get smaller size obviously).

Also glad to read that moving the location didn't effect their interactions massively. That's a really good sign!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I suspect he did get out the hole in the roof.
So glad you managed to get him back quickly.

As others have said, you've ever right to still be peed when they ruin items. It's partly the reason we haven't brought new carpets for the house.

As they're still not choosing to be together I'd be hesitant to try yet. Rushing it could make things take even longer.

You could pick up a couple of 32l underbed storage boxed for a couple £ at a local shop to make the hay forage trays for them (you could get smaller size obviously).

Also glad to read that moving the location didn't effect their interactions massively. That's a really good sign!

Yes I'm so glad too! Especially as our bottom fence needs replacing so he potentially could have pushed his way through brambles into the back field :-/

Well as my idea from the other day of using a slab we had outside to cover the damaged corner stopped any more chewing/digging we got two more to protect the other two corners and it's working so far....in fact they like laying on them.

I took everyone's advice and went shopping for something to use as a proper dig/forage box. We got a 55L box for £8 but because it was long we thought it would be great the cut slots in the sides so the divide can slot in so it's creates the illusion for them that they are sitting in the same box. We also got thrifty and bought on sale, two racks for a kitchen supply tidy you hook on a cupboard, and I turned them into hay racks for £2 each! They seem very interested in the box so far :)

So at the moment when I check on them truffle is normally chilling in a corner or spot at the back of his side, and more or less the same for Luther, will they in time just realise they actually need each other and want to be closer? Or is it possible they will just always want their own space? Forgive me, I'm very new to bunny behaviour with bonding.

Thank you for your help :) x

Brilliant ideas. I love them!
Over time they should start to want to be around each other more - this is the sign that they're beginning to bond.
Because of how they're progressing, I'd say in a couple weeks you could attempt the intense bonding method but we'll have to see how they go, it might all change.

Keep up the good work. You're doing great!

Brilliant ideas. I love them!
Over time they should start to want to be around each other more - this is the sign that they're beginning to bond.
Because of how they're progressing, I'd say in a couple weeks you could attempt the intense bonding method but we'll have to see how they go, it might all change.

Keep up the good work. You're doing great!

Thank you :)

Ooh ok I see. It's strange (probably because I'm not a bunny) that suddenly they will just say... actually I rather like you now let's spend more time together haha!
Thank you for your encouragement and help, it's so relieving to know we are going in the right direction.

This might be a really silly question, but the room they are divided in....is it ok to hoover it occasionally or does that get rid of too much scent etc?

Just because Truffle has really soft floaty hair, which has been moulting the last few months so the top of the carpet on both sides because we swap them over is now pretty fluffy. Sadly he doesn't like much human contact so I can't groom him (the only way I got away with it was when he thought the cat was grooming his head so he didn't notice me haha!!) X

If they're okay with the hoover it'll be fine. If they're not you can either use a rubber broom, or you can pop them into separate rooms real quick while you give to a quick hoover.

If they're okay with the hoover it'll be fine. If they're not you can either use a rubber broom, or you can pop them into separate rooms real quick while you give to a quick hoover.

Brilliant, thank you :)

Hopefully my next update will be them being together more. I was just curious....with the dig boxes, are bunnies supposed to wee in them? Because every time I try one they wee in it. The new one above, both buns have weed next to the divider in between so surly they want want to eat in there now? Or are they not that fussy.... x

Brilliant, thank you :)

Hopefully my next update will be them being together more. I was just curious....with the dig boxes, are bunnies supposed to wee in them? Because every time I try one they wee in it. The new one above, both buns have weed next to the divider in between so surly they want want to eat in there now? Or are they not that fussy.... x
They do often urinate in them. I just change it out once a day when they have a forage box :) x

Poor Truffle fell ill this morning :-(
My partner Sam went in to give them biscuits to forage at 6am and he was fine running around and excited about his dry food as usual. Then I go in at 10.30am and he just keeps doing bunny flops, won't eat not even a bit of his favourite banana or banana chips and just looked drowsy and unwell.

Took him to the vet asap and the vet couldn't find anything wrong with him clinically which is good. I tried them both on some new food yesterday; a bit of courgette, blackberry leaves and nettles so the vet thinks maybe he has inflamed guts from one of the new things. So he has some Zantac drops to be given twice a day for 5 days (which will be fun in a bunny that doesn't like getting being handled). I hope this doesn't affect the bonding process so far.

To top it off a big storm has just hit our village now.

Did the vet give any antiinflammatory pain killers such as metacam? This will also help with the recovery process.

It shouldn't affect the bonding process but I'd put on hold mixing them together until both are 100% better x

I hope the storm passes quickly without any damage xx

Did the vet give any antiinflammatory pain killers such as metacam? This will also help with the recovery process.

It shouldn't affect the bonding process but I'd put on hold mixing them together until both are 100% better x

I hope the storm passes quickly without any damage xx

The Zantac medication he gave us he said would help settle the inflammation and hopefully make him want to eat. His partner is a vet nurse at the same practice and we are good grinds so if I'm worried about him still in the next few days I will have another chat with them. As I worked in a vets up until a month or two ago I think I worry a lot because I have seen bad things there, so hopefully it's just a little spell and not as bad as I thought.

Oh yes that's true, I heard bunnies can be really quite mean to each other when one is ill. To be honest they still aren't choosing to be together yet so I was going to leave it longer.

Thank you, yes it seems to have been a brief one so hopefully all the animals will settle down now.

It's always such a worry when bunnies get I'll because they can go downhill so rapidly! Xx

The Zantac medication he gave us he said would help settle the inflammation and hopefully make him want to eat. His partner is a vet nurse at the same practice and we are good grinds so if I'm worried about him still in the next few days I will have another chat with them. As I worked in a vets up until a month or two ago I think I worry a lot because I have seen bad things there, so hopefully it's just a little spell and not as bad as I thought.

Oh yes that's true, I heard bunnies can be really quite mean to each other when one is ill. To be honest they still aren't choosing to be together yet so I was going to leave it longer.

Thank you, yes it seems to have been a brief one so hopefully all the animals will settle down now.

It's always such a worry when bunnies get I'll because they can go downhill so rapidly! Xx
I'm the exact same. I worked as a VN for 4 years and saw some horrific things but also learnt a whole lot.

They can be quite mean, mine thankfully are very kind to each other when ill.

We're in the middle of a storm now too, driving rain, high winds, thunder and lightening. Phoebe isn't enjoying it and was sat stomping so I'm now sat in their bedroom to "protect" her. She since settled down to sleep knowing I'm here.

Poor Truffle fell ill this morning :-(
My partner Sam went in to give them biscuits to forage at 6am and he was fine running around and excited about his dry food as usual. Then I go in at 10.30am and he just keeps doing bunny flops, won't eat not even a bit of his favourite banana or banana chips and just looked drowsy and unwell.

Took him to the vet asap and the vet couldn't find anything wrong with him clinically which is good. I tried them both on some new food yesterday; a bit of courgette, blackberry leaves and nettles so the vet thinks maybe he has inflamed guts from one of the new things. So he has some Zantac drops to be given twice a day for 5 days (which will be fun in a bunny that doesn't like getting being handled). I hope this doesn't affect the bonding process so far.

To top it off a big storm has just hit our village now.

So sorry to hear about poor Truffle! :(

I hope things settle down quickly and he's his normal self v soon.

How's he feeling now? Any improvement? x

I'm the exact same. I worked as a VN for 4 years and saw some horrific things but also learnt a whole lot.

They can be quite mean, mine thankfully are very kind to each other when ill.

We're in the middle of a storm now too, driving rain, high winds, thunder and lightening. Phoebe isn't enjoying it and was sat stomping so I'm now sat in their bedroom to "protect" her. She since settled down to sleep knowing I'm here.

That's the thing, I think too much knowledge can be a burden!

Aww that's so sweet that she feels so much safer with you there. Luckily it was quite a short storm so they didn't get too stressed by it :) x

Back