Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy trouble

Young Bun

Quote Originally Posted by Babsie View Post
    There are some very experienced bonders on here so I hope they can help. All I would say is keep them completely out of sight and smell of each other until the tiddly has been neutered and you start the bonding.
    Your pets are lovely - is your little ginger a female?
    Oh I definitely came to the right place then! Yeah that's what we have done for now, Luther is in the spare room and gets to run around up there when we go and spend time with him until he's done.
    Aww thank you so much! No our household is all boys, I used to have a Ginger female. He just looks and acts quite girly haha!

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Truffpuff View Post
    Oh I definitely came to the right place then! Yeah that's what we have done for now, Luther is in the spare room and gets to run around up there when we go and spend time with him until he's done.
    Aww thank you so much! No our household is all boys, I used to have a Ginger female. He just looks and acts quite girly haha!
    All boy! - That's no good, you are well and truly outnumbered! I had a little ginger female years ago and I think your boy definitely has a feminine streak.

Young Bun

Quote Originally Posted by Babsie View Post
    All boy! - That's no good, you are well and truly outnumbered! I had a little ginger female years ago and I think your boy definitely has a feminine streak.
    Haha tell me about it!
    Aww I think gingers are so friendly and loving. Yes he's really quite feminine bless him, he does have black on his foot which technically makes him tortoishell which males are rare....so that could be why.

Just putting a quick note so I remember to come back and read properly later

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Young Bun

Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    Just putting a quick note so I remember to come back and read properly later

Haha thank you :-)

Young Bun

Just as a small update I have found only 3 rescues in our buckingamshire/Northamptonshire area that aren't rspca, but I'm not sure they look like they would do bonding.

But dnot ask don't get as my nan used to say haha!

Such cute animals! Oh my gosh!

I'd continue as you are for now and keep them out of sight and smell until at least 6 weeks post neuter.
    (So neuter date + 6 weeks). This will allow hormones to subside and allow an easier indication of bonding rate.

Due to your current males attitude to bonding with the cats I'd suggest finding a place you can easily make neutral. Normally shutting off a room from access and cleaning it thoroughly with white vinegar works.
    I'd then take a somewhat slow approach to the bonding - both living side by side in the neutral room until you see your current male settled around his new found companion.
    Once this happens I'd then move onto an intense bonding where they're put together and kept together until a bond is formed. (I normally use a bathroom for this as buns often don't like going in there anyway so it stays pretty neuteral).

I normally just go straight into a full blown bond but I don't think that approach would be suitable for you.

I think you're about 1.5 to 2 hours away so if you really struggle with bonding (or too scared) and can't find a savvy rescue to help, I could come help you with the initial session and help you identify negative interaction and positive interaction.

I think once neutered, before housing them side by side come back to us and update the post. We could then give you further details and tips to suit your situation.

It'd also like to point out that a male/male bond is seen as difficult, but not as terrible as you might think *it's more successful than a female//female bond*, and also interactions through bars aren't nesicarrily how they'll react to each other without the bars in the way.

Young Bun

Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    Such cute animals! Oh my gosh!

I'd continue as you are for now and keep them out of sight and smell until at least 6 weeks post neuter.
    (So neuter date + 6 weeks). This will allow hormones to subside and allow an easier indication of bonding rate.

Due to your current males attitude to bonding with the cats I'd suggest finding a place you can easily make neutral. Normally shutting off a room from access and cleaning it thoroughly with white vinegar works.
    I'd then take a somewhat slow approach to the bonding - both living side by side in the neutral room until you see your current male settled around his new found companion.
    Once this happens I'd then move onto an intense bonding where they're put together and kept together until a bond is formed. (I normally use a bathroom for this as buns often don't like going in there anyway so it stays pretty neuteral).

I normally just go straight into a full blown bond but I don't think that approach would be suitable for you.

I think you're about 1.5 to 2 hours away so if you really struggle with bonding (or too scared) and can't find a savvy rescue to help, I could come help you with the initial session and help you identify negative interaction and positive interaction.

I think once neutered, before housing them side by side come back to us and update the post. We could then give you further details and tips to suit your situation.

It'd also like to point out that a male/male bond is seen as difficult, but not as terrible as you might think *it's more successful than a female//female bond*, and also interactions through bars aren't nesicarrily how they'll react to each other without the bars in the way.

Aw thank you so much. They are cute but naughty babies hehe!

Yes I totally agree, that's our plan for now after reading other people's posts and researching I think that's the best plan. Poor Truffle was just going wild at the smell of the new bun Luther so he's got the spare room to himself for the time being and we sit up with him a few hours a day to bond with us. Which seems to be working as it's not even been a week yet and he's doing binkies and giving bunny licks!

So there is a second spare room where the cats and Truffle have been in but not long because they aren't really allowed in there as my other half has electrical equipment in there....would the plan to be to keep them both up there but separate or just for periods? It's difficult because Truffle has fee roam and his house isn't movable, plus he won't let you pick him up we use the cat carrier to take him outside lol. It's hard to think of what would work best with our house/situation.

Yeah I think you might be right that slow and steady is more Truffles style, as long as he doesn't obsess over the new bun and just wind himself up.
    Yes I definitely will come back with an update, it's been really helpful getting advice here.

Ah I'm so happy to hear you say that!! Everything I have read seems so negative towards male/male bonds. I'm also happy that you think the first interaction isn't necessarily a full representation of what Truffle might be like! I'm feeling positive and like there's hope!

Aww bless you that's so kind! What general area are you in, like city etc? I will ask the rescues and see what they say and give an update on here. I just don't want to be a huge wimp and it fails because I didn't give it a proper go.

Thank you for your help :-)

I'm In Cambridge

Young Bun

Oh my that's a fair distance! :-)