• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boy trouble

I have sat/sun/mon off work so I'm happy to use a day or two to come and assist if you need the help :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Aw thank you, that's so kind of you!

Well so far one charity doesn't help with bunny bonding unless it's their rescue buns, but I was given another charity to try. The second doesn't have anything to do with bunnies. So I have one left to try and now this new one.

But I will update again when I have talked to them :)

Aw thank you, that's so kind of you!

Well so far one charity doesn't help with bunny bonding unless it's their rescue buns, but I was given another charity to try. The second doesn't have anything to do with bunnies. So I have one left to try and now this new one.

But I will update again when I have talked to them :)
Good luck.
Feel free to PM me if you don't get anywhere with the rescues and we'll keep in touch til bonding is due to begin x

A mini Luther update. I have booked him in at my work tomorrow for his second jab (RHDV2) and for his castration on the 14th July.

He's been scared again recently of myself and my other half. I have been putting the radio on in his room because it can get noisy due to next door and the road nearby. It's still early so maybe he will come round. We are getting bunny licks now :)

Good luck.
Feel free to PM me if you don't get anywhere with the rescues and we'll keep in touch til bonding is due to begin x

So a little update on Luther, he was castrated on Friday and is recovering really well so far. So six weeks to go before thinking about bonding him with Truffle our house bun.

At the moment Truffle still gets really wound up if he can smell too much of Luther on our clothes but it will be interesting if this reduces over the next few weeks. We also have a new area which now has a fence along our garden separating the patio from the main garden so Truffle can come outside with us and the cats, but be secure. I have cornered off one part so maybe that could be used for some "bun dates" so they can see each other through a mesh panel.....but we will see. Getting nervous about the next bit though!

Sounds like it's all planned out really well. You'll likely find the reaction will reduce slightly around week 5.

Just another update.

So Luther is currently on week 3 after being castrated.

Truffle is still funny when we come downstairs after spending time with Luther, with miss directed aggression (just mostly chasing and ramming).
But I think that's because essentially the "foreign bunny" is technically in his territory.

We had an accident last week where somehow the cats opened Luther's door upstairs and Truffle got in! It was a few minutes until I realised so I don't know if they technically met....but I scooped up Luther and took him into my bedroom before they bumped into each other because I had nothing prepared if they did fight. I let Truffle sniff around Luther's room and he didn't seem to act with aggression.

Now this week Luther has I think begun to peak at the amount of time he wants to be alone. He's digging and biting the carpet up there and doesn't settle until we go up and spend time with him, but he's wanting more and more time with us (which is lovely). So I'm keen to get things moving but I don't want to do it too soon when Truffle still is reacting to Luther's scent on us so he obviously still smells hormonal as it's only been 3 weeks.

So today and yesterday I have put some of Luther's used litter in a tray that is used by Luther but is in the kitchen which is more "cat territory" and it's next to a pet remedy plug in so I'm hoping it will give off good vibes while he smells foreign bunny....
We have decided to clear out our spare room to use as neutral territory for bunny dates through a barrier, but we have another two weeks until Luther is less hormonal so we can try. I'm getting quite nervous and still have many worries/questions lol!!

Lydia.

Thanks for the update.

If you set up the spare room with a barrier - I'd have them live in there 24/7 side by side (make it so they can't jump into each others sections). I'd also swap their sections every day to prevent them becoming territorial of one side.

Once they appear calm with each other in the room I'd then move onto their intense bond.

Again, PM me if you'd like someone to come and help over see things x

Thanks for the update.

If you set up the spare room with a barrier - I'd have them live in there 24/7 side by side (make it so they can't jump into each others sections). I'd also swap their sections every day to prevent them becoming territorial of one side.

Once they appear calm with each other in the room I'd then move onto their intense bond.

Again, PM me if you'd like someone to come and help over see things x

Thank you :)

Yeah see this is getting to the point I have been struggling with. I have read so much on bonding the last few weeks and I understand the techniques but not how to apply them to our situation or how long to do things for.

The room is nearly ready for them to use we just need to finish it hopefully next weekend which will be 6 weeks after castration anyway. But I wasn't sure if you do bun dates or living there so you have kindly answered that one for me :)
How do people normally set that up? Luther lives in a plastic/wire type cage crate you can get from pets at home as it was only going to be temp but truffle lives in a modified hutch made out of a side dresser with cupboards and draws etc...so not mobile. Or do they live side by side with minimal stuff, litter trays, toys, bowels, boxes to chill in etc?

Thank you so much for your help. I'm getting really nervous because I badly want to do it right and it to go well! I think we are definitely going to ask for your assistance when it comes to actually putting them together or if we get stuck, because I know it's a long way for you.

I can try and pm you pics of the arrangements they have.
Thanks again x

Personally I'd have them set up with litter trays, a few toys, couple tunnels and a large box each they can hide in if they wish to get away from each others sight. I try to put the trays side by side as eating is a communal thing for bunny's and it should help them make a bond.
You can use their usual hutches if you prefer, but I find boxes easier.

Last edited:
Personally I'd have them set up with litter trays, a few toys, couple tunnels and a large box each they can hide in if they wish to get away from each others sight. I try to put the trays side by side as eating is a communal thing for bunny's and it should help them make a bond.
You can use their usual hutches if you prefer, but I find boxes easier.

OK that makes sense. See from everything I have been reading I was getting worried because I thought there's no way I can let them live together when Truffles hutch can't be moved. But if they can be ok with simple living that's made me feel better.

I never realised when keeping buns before, how complicated they are haha!

So below you can see Truffles house with the bottom part of the cupboard being cat storage.
Luther's hutch and room upstairs (please excuse the mess I did hoover in there yesterday!).
And the spare room which will be the neural territory, again please excuse the mess we have had a full house clear out so bits need putting away still! We are planning to halve it length ways so the same direction as the window.

Thank you x

I see no mess.
Boxes would definitely be easier for you by looks of it.
A lot of stuff I read online was the complete opposite to what I actually needed to do for mine - sadly they're all such individuals that what we read doesn't always work for them.
Just ensure they can't jump over the split and I imagine all will go well.

I see no mess.
Boxes would definitely be easier for you by looks of it.
A lot of stuff I read online was the complete opposite to what I actually needed to do for mine - sadly they're all such individuals that what we read doesn't always work for them.
Just ensure they can't jump over the split and I imagine all will go well.

Yes that's the same vibe I have come across when researching and looking at other people's experiences, it makes it hard to know what's best for you. But I think what you have suggested sounds like the best way for our situation. If it doesn't work hopefully there is other ways we can try later on.

Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it! x

Yes that's the same vibe I have come across when researching and looking at other people's experiences, it makes it hard to know what's best for you. But I think what you have suggested sounds like the best way for our situation. If it doesn't work hopefully there is other ways we can try later on.

Welcome. I'm just a PM away if you need me :)

I love DP's advice, and she's so generous with her time :love:

How are we doing?

Well today and yesterday Truffle has not attacked me or the cats so I think his grump is finally over.

So now he's happy we are just going to wait till the weekend comes to finish clearing the spare room as most of it is my other halves and hes working lates this week, and I'm going to find a good barrier to put between them and get bowls and toys etc.
Then they will be ready. It's 6 weeks post op for Luther this Friday so is that ok to begin this coming weekend or would another week be better? x

Well today and yesterday Truffle has not attacked me or the cats so I think his grump is finally over.

So now he's happy we are just going to wait till the weekend comes to finish clearing the spare room as most of it is my other halves and hes working lates this week, and I'm going to find a good barrier to put between them and get bowls and toys etc.
Then they will be ready. It's 6 weeks post op for Luther this Friday so is that ok to begin this coming weekend or would another week be better? x
Sounds like he's settled down then, that's a good sign.

It's really your choice, you can start at the 6 week Mark, or if you need a little more time to get things ready you can wait a further week (or more if needed). They're really not going to be too worried as they won't know x

ETA: I'm away this weekend as a surprise trip but I should be contactable via PM and I'll be back by Monday afternoon. I'm sure MM would be happy to provide support & advice if I'm not available.

Last edited:
Sounds like he's settled down then, that's a good sign.

It's really your choice, you can start at the 6 week Mark, or if you need a little more time to get things ready you can wait a further week (or more if needed). They're really not going to be too worried as they won't know x

ETA: I'm away this weekend as a surprise trip but I should be contactable via PM and I'll be back by Monday afternoon. I'm sure MM would be happy to provide support & advice if I'm not available.

It was only if it would make any difference in him being more appealing to Truffle really haha, we will see how the cleaning up and sorting goes as I guess that will be the big decider.

Oh how lovely! I hope you have a wonderful time away!
Thank you so much for all your support both of you have been so kind and helpful to us x

Back