Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Boy trouble

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

I've been following your thread and rooting for you all. I'm really sorry the boys had a bust up My bunnies had a terrible fight last year and so I know how frightening it is. Once they lock on they're like a tornado and it's very difficult to prise them apart. I managed to successfully rebond my pair after their fight, just to give you a bit of hope and reassurance that it all is not lost.

Good luck and I have everything crossed for you that the next session will go better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Young Bun

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    I've been following your thread and rooting for you all. I'm really sorry the boys had a bust up My bunnies had a terrible fight last year and so I know how frightening it is. Once they lock on they're like a tornado and it's very difficult to prise them apart. I managed to successfully rebond my pair after their fight, just to give you a bit of hope and reassurance that it all is not lost.

Good luck and I have everything crossed for you that the next session will go better.

Aw thank you that's really sweet of you :-)

It's horrible isn't it because you don't want them to hurt or be hurt but also you know it has to happen to a degree. I just hope it's not too far this time.

What did you do to rebond them after their bust up? Thank you, as horrible as it is that other people's bunnies have been mean like ours, it is comforting that they came out the other side in a good place, so I appreciate you sharing your experience with me.
    Thank you so much, me too :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Truffpuff View Post
    Do you think a break will be ok for them after it ended abruptly with us breaking them up after the big fight? As long as it won't hinder them or put them off for the next time. It was horrible and we couldn't get them apart I ended up pushing poor sam over by accident lol.

We had treats on the window cil ready to use as you suggested but never got to use them. We can't think of anything specific happening it was the same as yesterday with them not trusting sniffing or quick movement which caused them to attack. The first attack was the same as normal which we stopped but then it just escalated each time until it was a massive lock on and scream until we could get them apart.

The only varients are which side we do it on and because of certain things happening this week such as the car accident, we have not done it at 6pm with their dinner straight after which is due at 6, the whole thing has been starting more like 7pm which means dinner is late too. That's all I can think. It's a shame because even though they fought yesterday they were nice to each other through the bars after so I thought real progress was made :-( x
    A break will be fine.

I separated my girls for a week following a serious fight. But after the separation we went straight into a full week bond without separation. They were in an XL dog crate in my bedroom.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

I did pretty much the same as DP. I kept them separate for a few days then did the fast bond method, i.e. kept them together in the kitchen 24/7 for a couple of days and then slowly extended outwards until they had full free range of the flat as normal.

They fought a lot on the first night. In hindsight I made a crucial mistake that I'm convinced prolonged the period of fighting. Although I neutralised the kitchen I put in a litter tray that hadn't been and they both became territorial over it which triggered the fighting. It took me a long time to figure it out. Funny how stress can make you blind to the obvious!

[IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

I did pretty much the same as DP. I kept them separate for a few days then did the fast bond method, i.e. kept them together in the kitchen 24/7 for a couple of days and then slowly extended outwards until they had full free range of the flat as normal.

They fought a lot on the first night. In hindsight I made a crucial mistake that I'm convinced prolonged the period of fighting. Although I neutralised the kitchen I put in a litter tray that hadn't been and they both became territorial over it which triggered the fighting. It took me a long time to figure it out. Funny how stress can make you blind to the obvious!

It's funny how we overlook these kinda things sometimes isn't it?

I once gave the girls a toy that had been used for a male rabbit. I cleaned it but didn't neutralise the smell. They had a full blown fight and I had to confine them to their room and sleep in the hall for a week to rebond them.

The girls had fights for about 3 nights, but as time went by thy got used to it.

Young Bun

Oh ok it's so good to know that it works! See we were debating weather to use the en suite because then our bedroom is there and neither have been in there......could start in the shower but it's probably a bit too small for us too. The bathroom is downstairs which truffle has been in as he had all of downstairs but I can scrub it. Unfortunately we can't start in the tub because we can't pick truffle up so it would never really work, but the floor is tiled so could help with not being able to attack as easily.

It's possible to do exactly like yourself and eventually spread outwards from there however the cats will become a potential issue. They are very nosey and like "getting into things" also currently there are indoor cats and only young still. Both bunnies know them though and truffle has been with them for a year before now.

Oh no! It's things like that you just don't think about, it's scary how a small thing can set you right back. Thanks again for your advice and help

Young Bun

Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    It's funny how we overlook these kinda things sometimes isn't it?

I once gave the girls a toy that had been used for a male rabbit. I cleaned it but didn't neutralise the smell. They had a full blown fight and I had to confine them to their room and sleep in the hall for a week to rebond them.

The girls had fights for about 3 nights, but as time went by thy got used to it.

Oh dear! It seems like it can literally be the smallest thing that will upset them.

Would you say having a break for two weeks is far too long?
    Because we thought about doing it Friday onwards but we have something already booked from midday on Sunday so we are a bit stuck between the two options. I might see if my other half can get time off perhaps

Oh dear! It seems like it can literally be the smallest thing that will upset them.

Would you say having a break for two weeks is far too long?
    Because we thought about doing it Friday onwards but we have something already booked from midday on Sunday so we are a bit stuck between the two options. I might see if my other half can get time off perhaps

Two weeks is fine. Bit of a stretch and I'd suggest to give them time out of the room each day to really stretch their legs properly. Even if it's one downstairs & one outside in the run.

Young Bun

Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    Two weeks is fine. Bit of a stretch and I'd suggest to give them time out of the room each day to really stretch their legs properly. Even if it's one downstairs & one outside in the run.

Oh ok, I had no idea we could do that! I thought they had to be side by side the whole time........see newbie haha!

Thank you so much x

Oh ok, I had no idea we could do that! I thought they had to be side by side the whole time........see newbie haha!

Thank you so much x

It's not ideal but it's a couple extra weeks in the room so worth them having some time out each day to stretch properly until you start bonding again.

Some things in life are black and white. Rabbit bonding is definitely a grey.