• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

DEVASTATED advice needed asap

thanks from the bottom of my heart for all your kind words. Im coping enough at the minute but i really hope im strong enough for any more going if the take ill. i have come to thinking ive give them every possible chance now by vaccinating, the hard bit now is making sure i kill any traces of the vhd that are in the house garden and shed set ups, because the virus might be there but the buns have not touched it yet. Its how i manage to get the buns out of each set up to disinfect without putting them somewhere that might be potentially infected. I have to take them out to fully drench every nook and cranny. I think what i will have to do is set puppy panels up in a part of the garden that i have disinfected first and let dry, then put the buns in their whilst cleaning. But then i would have to repeat again with the disinfectant for each set of buns and i have 5 sets of buns. Its going to be a long day tomorrow. hope the virkon comes tomorrow morning really early.

I really can't contemplate how much hard work this is going to involve to disinfect everywhere. I know I would be very daunted by the prospect of having to do it.

Sending lots of hugs and strength for you. I can imagine you must feel so exhausted and so stressed at the same time.

Wishing you all the best, it really does sound like a massive undertaking. Well done getting all the vaccinations done x

thanks from the bottom of my heart for all your kind words. Im coping enough at the minute but i really hope im strong enough for any more going if the take ill. i have come to thinking ive give them every possible chance now by vaccinating, the hard bit now is making sure i kill any traces of the vhd that are in the house garden and shed set ups, because the virus might be there but the buns have not touched it yet. Its how i manage to get the buns out of each set up to disinfect without putting them somewhere that might be potentially infected. I have to take them out to fully drench every nook and cranny. I think what i will have to do is set puppy panels up in a part of the garden that i have disinfected first and let dry, then put the buns in their whilst cleaning. But then i would have to repeat again with the disinfectant for each set of buns and i have 5 sets of buns. Its going to be a long day tomorrow. hope the virkon comes tomorrow morning really early.

Personally I didn't, I left them in their own accommodation and only took out and disinfected things that I could reach like bowls and litter trays...It's a tricky one and you'd have to consider it on a case-by-case basis, but I thought the risk of them picking up more of the virus was higher by moving them to somewhere new, especially now you're on countdown to them getting protected by the vaccine. I took the view that they use their accommodation day in day out so if it was in there already, they'd already have come across it. If you're going to do it, I'd just put them in the same pet carrier they went to the vets in and leave them in there for an hour or so while you disinfect. It's so warm at the moment it should dry quickly. Hopefully it won't be many more days before you can start to breathe more easily xx

You've completely been through the mill, and it seems that you and your vet have largely decided it *must* be VHD2?

I hope you can get the cleaning done and have some time to yourself, perhaps for a bit of relaxation or a walk in the countryside. I wonder where on earth this came from? I guess no one will know :(

another sad update darcy passed away an hour ago. A possitive is the virkon has come but i cant get the sodding lid off it and nowhere tells you how. god this is hard

I'm so sorry :cry: sending all the vibes I can muster for the others, and big hugs for you xx

I'm so sorry to see this update.
(I think the Virkon tub I have has one of those strips round the lid you have to tear off with the tab).

How terribly sad. You are being so strong for your bunnies. Sweetest of dreams Darcy, run free with Cosmo & Tiggi xx

You are dealing with every multi-rabbit owners worst nightmare and my heart goes out to you and your bunnies. We are all alongside you through this horrific journey and I will breathe a sigh of relief when you get to the point of the vaccinations having taken effect.

Please continue to post and reach out in the middle of your unbearable pain and stress.

Keeping you all in my thoughts.

X

Back