• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

DEVASTATED advice needed asap

I'm so very sorry for your losses, W&S. I am heartbroken for you. :cry::cry::cry: ((((((Huge hugs))))))
You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope the rest can stay well and that their immunity builds swiftly after the vaccines. xxxx

What a terrible time for you and your family, I wish you every success in controlling the virus and the rest of your warren staying safe

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

:( I'm so sorry, I'd seen your thread and was hoping that it was just a sad coincidence that you lost Tiggi and then Cosmo seemed ill too. With everyone else getting the vaccine hopefully the rest of your buns stay healthy.

Oh no, I'm so very sorry to hear this :( I really hope it isn't RHD but it definitely sounds like a possibility doesn't it :(

It's virtually impossible to get rid of the virus if it's already been trodden and touched around, but there are plenty of things you can do to try and minimise the risk to the others. If you can, I'd suggest burning the bedding and anything from within their enclosures so any virus in it gets destroyed by the heat. While you're waiting for the virkon to arrive, I would try and handle your remaining bunnies as little as possible, change your clothes and shoes between them and don't move anything between enclosures. Basically, treat everyone as potentially at risk and everything you hold, carry and touch as potentially being covered in virus. It's really, really hard, but I think anything you can do to reduce the risk will help - so I wore paper suits and gloves, and moved all the bowls and litter trays to the entrance of each enclosure so I only had to lean in and not actually step into enclosures or handle the rabbits.

Boiling water denatures viruses so if there is a way to safely do so, you could use that in the interim to try and reduce any loading on bowls, litter trays, carriers, concrete of enclosures etc. I'd certainly give the carriers a good going over before you put the bunnies in them for their vet visit tomorrow - the last thing you want is them potentially picking the virus up from a pet carrier on their way to get their vaccine.

If you do get any more fall ill, there are various tests that can be done - there is now a blood test for the virus, and there are also labs who will do it from a faecal sample, but this is less likely to be reliable than a direct tissue sample so I would suggest blood if possible. Hopefully you won't need it though. Everything crossed for everybun xx

You are a godsend to RU Santa, the knowledge you have gained from your first hand experience of dealing with the evil RHD2 is invaluable, including helping some Vets who have looked at your blog and your FB page. Although of course I wish that you had not had to endure the nightmare of dealing with such a horrible virus.

w and s, I really hope that your remaining Rabbits will be OK. We are all here to offer you as much support as we can

Thinking of you and hoping all your little ones remain well. Also sending lots of vibes for their vaccinations today.

Thinking of you still and hoping the rest of your bunnies are well. sending hugs and vibes xx

Oh no, I'm so very sorry to hear this :( I really hope it isn't RHD but it definitely sounds like a possibility doesn't it :(

It's virtually impossible to get rid of the virus if it's already been trodden and touched around, but there are plenty of things you can do to try and minimise the risk to the others. If you can, I'd suggest burning the bedding and anything from within their enclosures so any virus in it gets destroyed by the heat. While you're waiting for the virkon to arrive, I would try and handle your remaining bunnies as little as possible, change your clothes and shoes between them and don't move anything between enclosures. Basically, treat everyone as potentially at risk and everything you hold, carry and touch as potentially being covered in virus. It's really, really hard, but I think anything you can do to reduce the risk will help - so I wore paper suits and gloves, and moved all the bowls and litter trays to the entrance of each enclosure so I only had to lean in and not actually step into enclosures or handle the rabbits.

Boiling water denatures viruses so if there is a way to safely do so, you could use that in the interim to try and reduce any loading on bowls, litter trays, carriers, concrete of enclosures etc. I'd certainly give the carriers a good going over before you put the bunnies in them for their vet visit tomorrow - the last thing you want is them potentially picking the virus up from a pet carrier on their way to get their vaccine.

If you do get any more fall ill, there are various tests that can be done - there is now a blood test for the virus, and there are also labs who will do it from a faecal sample, but this is less likely to be reliable than a direct tissue sample so I would suggest blood if possible. Hopefully you won't need it though. Everything crossed for everybun xx

i have been using your blog posts like a bible. Ive not wanted to update about all the other seem fine so far in case i jinxed myself. I ended up takeing them half an hours journey away instead of my own vet because i rang yesterday to warn that i was setting off with all 14 buns and she said i couldnt bring them because they only had 1 vet in. So i was ringing round EVERYWHERE like mad trying to find someone with 14 doses and the vet in warrington said they had a 50 dose vial and she was putting my name on it. They all were at the vet at 8am this morning and he was amazing with them and me. he checked membranes, eyes, ears, bum, heart, lungs, temp and checked to feel if he could tell if there was organ enlargement. Pleased to say he thinks they all seem in perfect condition, even darcy who was with cosmo and tiggi. Its not to say they wont be ill tomorrow but im taking each day at a time. ive got 5 dust pans and brushes, 5 pairs of crocks, nursing gloves that my daughter got from work and my virkon coming tomorrow. They are all on lock down to there own spaces now. Im very unpopular at the minute but i dont mind.

i have been using your blog posts like a bible. Ive not wanted to update about all the other seem fine so far in case i jinxed myself. I ended up takeing them half an hours journey away instead of my own vet because i rang yesterday to warn that i was setting off with all 14 buns and she said i couldnt bring them because they only had 1 vet in. So i was ringing round EVERYWHERE like mad trying to find someone with 14 doses and the vet in warrington said they had a 50 dose vial and she was putting my name on it. They all were at the vet at 8am this morning and he was amazing with them and me. he checked membranes, eyes, ears, bum, heart, lungs, temp and checked to feel if he could tell if there was organ enlargement. Pleased to say he thinks they all seem in perfect condition, even darcy who was with cosmo and tiggi. Its not to say they wont be ill tomorrow but im taking each day at a time. ive got 5 dust pans and brushes, 5 pairs of crocks, nursing gloves that my daughter got from work and my virkon coming tomorrow. They are all on lock down to there own spaces now. Im very unpopular at the minute but i dont mind.

I am so relieved that you managed to get them all vaccinated. I really hope that they will all remain well. You must be living on a knife edge at the moment xx

Santa and her blog are truly amazing :D

I'm really glad you managed to get them vaccinated. Pray they will be OK - seven days to full immunity.

Glad you had a sympathetic vet who checked them all over.

Hugs and vibes xxx

I'm really glad you managed to get them all vaccinated. Transporting them all to the vet must have been a Herculean undertaking!

I've got everything crossed that your remaining buns will remain well. Also lots of hugs for you. I hope you're bearing up as well as you can xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So glad they're all now vaccinated. Here's hoping they are going to be ok. Sending you lots of vibes and love. xxxxx

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I really hope they will all be ok, glad you got them vaccinated. I'm sending lots more hugs and vibes xx

Super that they are now all vaccinated. It sounds as though the vet gave them a thorough check as well, which must have been a little reassuring, although I can understand how worried you still must be.

thanks from the bottom of my heart for all your kind words. Im coping enough at the minute but i really hope im strong enough for any more going if the take ill. i have come to thinking ive give them every possible chance now by vaccinating, the hard bit now is making sure i kill any traces of the vhd that are in the house garden and shed set ups, because the virus might be there but the buns have not touched it yet. Its how i manage to get the buns out of each set up to disinfect without putting them somewhere that might be potentially infected. I have to take them out to fully drench every nook and cranny. I think what i will have to do is set puppy panels up in a part of the garden that i have disinfected first and let dry, then put the buns in their whilst cleaning. But then i would have to repeat again with the disinfectant for each set of buns and i have 5 sets of buns. Its going to be a long day tomorrow. hope the virkon comes tomorrow morning really early.

Back