• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

DEVASTATED advice needed asap

my vets have said monitor him and see. its bloody awful. he said they havnt got the vaccine in and before i panic wait and see. im looking up disinfectants now. is virkon s the best one

Yes, Virkon is very good :thumb:

I would ring around vets and see who has the vaccine in stock. It may be nothing to do with VHD2 but best to be on the safe side.
I wouldn't be happy with watching and waiting ....

rang around and all 14 are booked in tomorrow for the vaccine. Cosmo has just passed away in my arms, i dont know how much of this i can take. his eyes were jaundiced and he had a convulsion and died. im devastated.

rang around and all 14 are booked in tomorrow for the vaccine. Cosmo has just passed away in my arms, i dont know how much of this i can take. his eyes were jaundiced and he had a convulsion and died. im devastated.

Oh no :cry: I am so sorry:cry: can you get the others vaccinated today?
Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

OMGosh, you poor love. I can only begin to imagine the agony you are experiencing :cry: The jaundice really does point strongly to RHD2 :cry: God, the disease is totally evil.

I hope with all my heart that your remaining Rabbits will be spared. I just wish that there was something constructive I could do to help :cry:

I'm so very sorry I'm absolutely devastated for you. [emoji17]

You're such an incredibly devoted bunny owner it's so unfair you're having to go through this. [emoji17]

I really hope all the others stay well.

Sleep tight Tiggi and Cosmo xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry, this is really tragic :( I really hope your other buns will be ok :( for any new members reading this, it really shows how important it is to vaccinate :( x

My heart breaks for you. RIP Tiggi & Cosmo xx
Well done for getting them booked in tomorrow. Like everyone else here I'll be rooting for you & your buns. hang in there

ive took cosmo to be cremated and when i was their they told me i had to dig tiggi up so she could be cremated too. i cant tell you how much ive cried today. ive brought darcy into the living room why bleu and bella are locked upstairs. I really wanting to get her out of their enclosure because i cant even disinfect properly until the virkon comes. im watching them all like an hawk now and even when they are vaccined tomorrow its a week until immunity develops.

ive took cosmo to be cremated and when i was their they told me i had to dig tiggi up so she could be cremated too. i cant tell you how much ive cried today. ive brought darcy into the living room why bleu and bella are locked upstairs. I really wanting to get her out of their enclosure because i cant even disinfect properly until the virkon comes. im watching them all like an hawk now and even when they are vaccined tomorrow its a week until immunity develops.

I can't tell you how sorry I am :cry: I'm sending more hugs and lots more vibes xx

Oh no, I'm so very sorry to hear this :( I really hope it isn't RHD but it definitely sounds like a possibility doesn't it :(

It's virtually impossible to get rid of the virus if it's already been trodden and touched around, but there are plenty of things you can do to try and minimise the risk to the others. If you can, I'd suggest burning the bedding and anything from within their enclosures so any virus in it gets destroyed by the heat. While you're waiting for the virkon to arrive, I would try and handle your remaining bunnies as little as possible, change your clothes and shoes between them and don't move anything between enclosures. Basically, treat everyone as potentially at risk and everything you hold, carry and touch as potentially being covered in virus. It's really, really hard, but I think anything you can do to reduce the risk will help - so I wore paper suits and gloves, and moved all the bowls and litter trays to the entrance of each enclosure so I only had to lean in and not actually step into enclosures or handle the rabbits.

Boiling water denatures viruses so if there is a way to safely do so, you could use that in the interim to try and reduce any loading on bowls, litter trays, carriers, concrete of enclosures etc. I'd certainly give the carriers a good going over before you put the bunnies in them for their vet visit tomorrow - the last thing you want is them potentially picking the virus up from a pet carrier on their way to get their vaccine.

If you do get any more fall ill, there are various tests that can be done - there is now a blood test for the virus, and there are also labs who will do it from a faecal sample, but this is less likely to be reliable than a direct tissue sample so I would suggest blood if possible. Hopefully you won't need it though. Everything crossed for everybun xx

Back