Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52

Thread: gut stasis

  1. #31
    Young Bun rosaleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    london
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Sorry, forgot to say re diet she has an eggcupful spread through the day

  2. #32
    Young Bun rosaleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    london
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Of pellets that is

  3. #33
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    31,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rosaleen View Post
    I need advice please and have questions. I am becoming confused!
    Here's an update on Harriet's condition. Just to recap she was on Emeprid from 23rd June to the morning ofSaturday 1st July, when the meds ran out, when the problem 'should' have resolved itself. But all wasn't well as the small poops reappeared. it was now Sunday, I started her on Infacol, the poops began increasing in size again. I've kept her on infacol since then.
    Her appetite is excellent, she drinks well, her energy appears good. Her diet is hay and more hay, greens, not too much kale broccoli grass apple branches and leaves.Ive split the 3 daily doses of 1ml each time into 8 hours apart. It seems every morning her poops are small(though definitely bigger than at the start of the infacol) but as the day progresses they get bigger to nearly her normal size. Yes I'm obsessing about poops but reading the 'sticky' posts this isn't too unusual!
    How long can/do rabbits have infacol please?
    I wish I could give a good reason as to why I haven't been back to the vet yet but I'm still trying to process that one. I DO know that reading forum members posts on their rabbits with recurring GS (if that's what it really is given her overall health) has stopped me worrying/obsessing about its continuation.

    Hi rosaleen

    I was wondering how you were getting on

    There is no time limit for rabbits to be on Infacol. There are some rabbits that are on permanent gut motility meds or ranitidine. Infacol isn't absorbed by the body so has no side effects. Babies take it for as long as they need it.

    However, at some stage you're aware you need to sort this out, if at all possible. Some intractable cases of stasis are difficult if not impossible to determine the root cause. But you need to talk with your vet when you've time about everything that's going on.

    Have her teeth been checked recently?

  4. #34
    Young Bun rosaleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    london
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Hi M Max, thanks so very much for your post. I really appreciate it.
    Yes I know you're right, I need to visit the vet just to be sure. I do worry that I'm not doing enough,that she might have a partial blockage or something building up in her stomach and because she not amenable to tummy rubs from me means I can't properly check myself.
    However it is reassuring to be told that some rabbits are on permanent meds, which I hope is the worst case scenario for Harriet. I will make an appointment this morning with the vet making sure I see the one I feel has the most knowledge and experience.
    Re teeth, yes she was checked in June and previously in January when she had her last GS episode.
    Thanks again. I'll let you know what happens.
    Last edited by rosaleen; 11-07-2017 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Incomplete

  5. #35
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    31,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rosaleen View Post
    Hi M Max, thanks so very much for your post. I really appreciate it.
    Yes I know you're right, I need to visit the vet just to be sure. I do worry that I'm not doing enough,that she might have a partial blockage or something building up in her stomach and because she not amenable to tummy rubs from me means I can't properly check myself.
    However it is reassuring to be told that some rabbits are on permanent meds, which I hope is the worst case scenario for Harriet. I will make an appointment this morning with the vet making sure I see the one I feel has the most knowledge and experience.
    Re teeth, yes she was checked in June and previously in January when she had her last GS episode.
    Thanks again. I'll let you know what happens.

    You're welcome rosaleen

    Look forward to seeing what your rabbit savvy vet says later on
    Last edited by MightyMax; 15-07-2017 at 10:11 AM.

  6. #36
    Young Bun rosaleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    london
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Hi just to update. Harriet saw a new vet who seems to have a great deal of rabbit knowledge. after a very thorough examination she assured me H is in very good health. She prescribed 7 days of Emeprid.
    She also advised me to increase H's fluid intake which should/will help her poops, by always spraying water on the greens etc that I give her.
    Plus instead of the banana I use to mix with her meds I should feed ONLY fruit a rabbit would find in her natural habitat and which will help with the fluids.
    She advised celery,(which I later read needs to be cut up small cross ways to avoid choking) , the base of fennel; plus strawberries and blackberries which are easy to mix with meds BUT very watery so difficult to ensure everything is wiped up with greens leaves so I've reverted, temporarily I hope, back to banana.Any and all of course to be introduced very slowly.
    In addition, pineapple to help gut motility- is that the right word?- which I'd previously been recommended, she advised using just the leaves as they contain the most enzymes needed.
    I'll see how things go. I'm very happy that H is ' I'll try anything' sort of rabbit, so unlike BB.

    Unfortunately Jazz my cat has developed a limp and will NOT take her pain meds arrggh, so I'm trawling through all the tasty food options for her.
    Last edited by rosaleen; 15-07-2017 at 09:10 AM.

  7. #37
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    31,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rosaleen View Post
    Hi just to update. Harriet saw a new vet who seems to have a great deal of rabbit knowledge. after a very thorough examination she assured me H is in very good health. She prescribed 7 days of Emeprid.
    She also advised me to increase H's fluid intake which should/will help her poops, by always spraying water on the greens etc that I give her.
    Plus instead of the banana I use to mix with her meds I should feed ONLY fruit a rabbit would find in her natural habitat and which will help with the fluids.
    She advised celery,(which I later read needs to be cut up small cross ways to avoid choking) , the base of fennel; plus strawberries and blackberries which are easy to mix with meds BUT very watery so difficult to ensure everything is wiped up with greens leaves so I've reverted, temporarily I hope, back to banana.Any and all of course to be introduced very slowly.
    In addition, pineapple to help gut motility- is that the right word?- which I'd previously been recommended, she advised using just the leaves as they contain the most enzymes needed.
    I'll see how things go. I'm very happy that H is ' I'll try anything' sort of rabbit, so unlike BB.

    Unfortunately Jazz my cat has developed a limp and will NOT take her pain meds arrggh, so I'm trawling through all the tasty food options for her.

    Goos news about your vet and upping the fluid intake

    I would personally be careful feeding pineapple leaves, as Ingestion of the sap in pineapple leaves can lead to severe pain in the mouth, as well as skin irritation of the lips, tongue and mouth

    http://homeguides.sfgate.com/outside...eat-80944.html

    The bromelain content of raw pineapple is responsible for the sore mouth feeling often experienced when eating it, due to the enzymes breaking down the proteins of sensitive tissues in the mouth.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapple

    Just a heads up to go steady with it, not to disagree with your vet's advice

    Sorry to hear about Jazz! If it's not one thing, it's another I hope you can get her to take her meds x

  8. #38
    Young Bun rosaleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    london
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Hi M Max, thanks very much for the info on pineapples. I will most certainly take it in to account. I'll do screen grabs and print off the links you have given to add them to my rabbit file

    I'd forgot to say the vet also advised to stop feeding anything other than hay after 5pm of an evening to encourage an increase in the amount of hay they eat.

    Just got some new tasty treats for Jazz, so fingers crossed.
    Last edited by rosaleen; 15-07-2017 at 05:43 PM.

  9. #39
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    31,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rosaleen View Post
    Hi M Max, thanks very much for the info on pineapples. I will most certainly take it in to account. I'll do screen grabs and print off the links you have given to add them to my rabbit file

    I'd forgot to say the vet also advised to stop feeding anything other than hay after 5pm of an evening to encourage an increase in the amount of hay they eat.

    Just got some new tasty treats for Jazz, so fingers crossed.

    You're very welcome

    Yes, fingers crossed for Jazz!

  10. #40
    Mama Doe bunny momma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,643

    Default

    You mentioned that H had her teeth checked twice this year. Did they rule out issues with the roots of her teeth by doing a skull X-ray? Is H getting any pain medications at home?
    Bunnies can require a considerable amount of fluids so their system does not pull fluids from their guts (which results in poo becoming dry and harder to pass). Supplementing with Sub Q fluids may help.
    While hay is an important source of fiber for all bunnies. Some bunnies will not eat as much hay if they are given the choice between hay and foods they find more enjoyable. Perhaps your vet wants to make sure your bunny is not choosing too many of the alternatives and not enough hay by asking you to feed only hay after 5pm.
    it is just as important to keep a bunny eating regularly to keep their guts moving regularly. Recovery food can offer some added nutrients and fiber for a bunny with GS.
    You may have read already that you should introduce any new food slowly.
    Sending you some positive vibes for you and Jazz.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •