• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

gut stasis

Thanks for your posts.:D H is a very greedy rabbit and I would say she has no problems with tooth roots and definitely none with eating! As a consequence I don't think she needs supplements. As I said in my last post the vet says she is generally in very good health.
Re hay, the vet s idea is to ensure that hay remains the main part of the diet.
Just finished the Emeprid prescription so waiting to see what happens with the poops. If they start to become small again I'll put her back on Infacol and accept she has a 'condition '

Just to update on Jazz my cat; after an abortive attempt at bloods, (she's very wilful) a further vet visit with sedation, bloods now taken successfully and x rays show she has arthritis, but no kidney problems So safely onto the metacam:lol: I have arthritis myself so we can further bond

Last edited:
Thanks for your posts.:D H is a very greedy rabbit and I would say she has no problems with tooth roots and definitely none with eating! As a consequence I don't think she needs supplements. As I said in my last post the vet says she is generally in very good health.
Re hay, the vet s idea is to ensure that hay remains the main part of the diet.
Just finished the Emeprid prescription so waiting to see what happens with the poops. If they start to become small again I'll put her back on Infacol and accept she has a 'condition '

Just to update on Jazz my cat; after an abortive attempt at bloods, (she's very wilful) a further vet visit with sedation, bloods now taken successfully and x rays show she has arthritis, but no kidney problems So safely onto the metacam:lol: I have arthritis myself so we can further bond

Sorry to hear that you and Jazz have arthritis.

Yes, it's good to know that Infacol can be given freely as and when it's needed.
I hope you won't need to keep dosing though, and things get better for her :)

Hi MMAx
Another update. Harriet's poops are MAINLY the right size. Initial panic when I spotted a few small ones, ( though she sometimes had the odd small ones in the past ) but they are few and far between. So I've resisted the Infacol, it's now 4 days since the Emeprid finished. So feeling cautiously optimistic though I've replenished the supply of Infacol Incase I need it
I saw your post about brambles so am slowly reintroducing them. They used to have it in the past.
I had another think about the link you gave me re pineapple leaves and have stopped offering them, it doesn't seem worth the risk.
I will look again about pineapples and their enzymes generally and hope to find the next most suitable i.e. fresh, tinned (washed free of sugar juice) and actual pineapple juice. I'll also trawl through the posts on the forum for members experience with the fruit.
Thanks again for your support with H, she and I both thank you.

Last edited:
Hi MMAx
Another update. Harriet's poops are MAINLY the right size. Initial panic when I spotted a few small ones, ( though she sometimes had the odd small ones in the past ) but they are few and far between. So I've resisted the Infacol, it's now 4 days since the Emeprid finished. So feeling cautiously optimistic though I've replenished the supply of Infacol Incase I need it
I saw your post about brambles so am slowly reintroducing them. They used to have it in the past.
I had another think about the link you gave me re pineapple leaves and have stopped offering them, it doesn't seem worth the risk.
I will look again about pineapples and their enzymes generally and hope to find the next most suitable i.e. fresh, tinned (washed free of sugar juice) and actual pineapple juice. I'll also trawl through the posts on the forum for members experience with the fruit.
Thanks again for your support with H, she and I both thank you.

Hi rosaleen and thank you for the update :)

Yes, brambles are really good for digestion and good poops :)

I am happy to help wherever I can rosaleen.
I hope Harriet comes along and stops worrying you x

Hi Max

Hopefully my last update.

Harriet has continued to produce the right size poops for nearly a week now, so I am both very pleased and relieved.

I still feel guilty giving them 'only' hay after 5pm, but reading somewhere on here about the correct quantity for greens etc is two cups a day I've realised I was giving them far too many, which probably hadn't helped the situation.

Apart from the hay, I religiously spray all their food with water to increase their fluid intake as advised by the vet, including their two eggcupfuls of pellets. I think this is having a positive effect as well.

Last edited:
Hi Max

Harriet has continued to produce the right size poops for nearly a week now, so I am both very pleased and relieved.

I still feel guilty giving them 'only' hay after 5pm, but reading somewhere on here about the correct quantity for greens etc is two cups a day I've realised I was giving them far too many, which probably hadn't helped the situation.

Apart from the hay, I religiously spray all their food with water to increase their fluid intake as advised by the vet, including their two eggcupfuls of pellets. I think this is having a positive effect as well.

Hi Rosaleen

Sorry not to have replied sooner, but good to hear that his poops are getting better :)

I hope things continue to improve, and please don't be a stranger :wave:

Hi Max

Good update!

Hi Max
Apologies for not replying sooner but the broadband has been on and off for days now plus thecpassword that was given to me by the rabbit forum is impossible to remember as it's so random. I got in touch with the forum and have asked if I can change it but didn't receive any reply. Plus i can never find my password sheet to find the one for the forum so it all gets a bit long winded when I want to post anything
anyway thanks so much for all your and others posts they have literally been life savers.
Harriet and BeBe are both doing well

Hi Max
Apologies for not replying sooner but the broadband has been on and off for days now plus thecpassword that was given to me by the rabbit forum is impossible to remember as it's so random. I got in touch with the forum and have asked if I can change it but didn't receive any reply. Plus i can never find my password sheet to find the one for the forum so it all gets a bit long winded when I want to post anything
anyway thanks so much for all your and others posts they have literally been life savers.

I'm glad that Harriet and BeBe are both doing well, you can change your password yourself by logging in, then go into settings, and change password is an option in there :thumb:

Hi Max

You're very welcome Rosaleen :)

Glad to hear that Harriet and BeBe are doing so well :D

Hi, sorry not to have responded sooner but only read your last post properly yesterday with the info on changing my password.
First I was having a LOT of difficulty getting onto the forum with old password, don't know what caused that, having to change password to another long random one, I finally got to settings and managed to work my way through it. I always find these things difficult
.ANYWAY a huge thanksto you. Posting and reading other members posts will be so much easier now.

Hi, sorry not to have responded sooner but only read your last post properly yesterday with the info on changing my password.
First I was having a LOT of difficulty getting onto the forum with old password, don't know what caused that, having to change password to another long random one, I finally got to settings and managed to work my way through it. I always find these things difficult
.ANYWAY a huge thanksto you. Posting and reading other members posts will be so much easier now.

You're welcome :) Any time! xx

Back