Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52

Thread: gut stasis

  1. #11
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    28,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rosaleen View Post
    Hello Might Max and Jack s Jane
    thank you both so much again. I'll take on board all the info from yourselves and a big thank you too to the other people who gave info in the links. I'll try to respond to your suggestions. BeBe is 2.45 kilos - the right weight for her size my vet says. because of her nervousness a tummy rub isn't on the cards just yet BUT she allows me it stroke her, (so different from ' give me a stroke now! Harriet ) mainly when she's eating so I'll use the that as a basis for starting gentle rubs.
    Just going to post this bit, half of my last post wasn't accepted at first and I had to retype it

    You're really welcome

    Yes tummy rubs alongside Infacol are an excellent thing, and when a rabbit feels poorly they often let you do the tummy rubs without a problem. They seem to know it's the right thing.

    An excellent vet queried the use of Infacol recently, and the owner of the rabbit asked (as part of the treatment) for the UK vets to consult vets in the United States. Here's what the reply was ...

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...sidditherabbit


    We have a repeat prescription written out just in case but touch wood so far so good. The vets in the states signed off on infacol and 0.2ml syringe feed of it twice over 3 hours and belly rubs helped with his gas.
    ...As for the infacol max, that's right - the stateside vets who were given his medical notes recommended it be put in.



    I think it's a shame to be put off something that's effective, cheap and does absolutely no harm

  2. #12
    Young Bun rosaleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    london
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    You're really welcome

    Yes tummy rubs alongside Infacol are an excellent thing, and when a rabbit feels poorly they often let you do the tummy rubs without a problem. They seem to know it's the right thing.

    An excellent vet queried the use of Infacol recently, and the owner of the rabbit asked (as part of the treatment) for the UK vets to consult vets in the United States. Here's what the reply was ...

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...sidditherabbit


    We have a repeat prescription written out just in case but touch wood so far so good. The vets in the states signed off on infacol and 0.2ml syringe feed of it twice over 3 hours and belly rubs helped with his gas.
    ...As for the infacol max, that's right - the stateside vets who were given his medical notes recommended it be put in.



    I think it's a shame to be put off something that's effective, cheap and does absolutely no harm

    Hope I'm doing this right will do a trial post..........

  3. #13
    Young Bun rosaleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    london
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Sorry about that my IT skills aren't great, couldn't find how to reply different format seemed to be showing
    Apologies for delay in replying, couldn't find my sheet with passwords, (I can't change the password provided by the forum and its an unmemorable one.
    OK firstly Jacks Janet thanks for the links, I especially like the safe and unsafe ones with actual photos( the one i always used didn't.) some new ones, to me listed are readily available. I should have included the garden plants they eat, don't know why I didnt. I had actually thought I was giving them so many of these that it might be /was the reason they are currently eating very little hay, But hope/think the grass, garden plants, apple branches are a viable alternative to the hay.
    Secondly Mighty Max, re the infacol I tried it with BeBe this morning and she wasn't keen at all. I think/know it's the smell, she is very fussy in this regard. After Harriet s last bout of GS my vet recommended pineapple(yes in know there are differing opinions on this) which she loves. offered it to BeBe and she literally RAN off. Ditto fennel leaves.
    However M Max your last post, gave a much smaller dosage. As I just said BeBe wasn't keen but did eat a LITTLE of half of the original dosage suggested,that is to say .5ml. So she possibly had about .1or 2 Regrettably I read your post after I'd fed them first thing. I will try infacol again
    IF anyone has a similar quandary I'd love to know if they've found a healthy, - see below-but appealing food to hide meds in
    Syringe feeding is a no no, but she's usually very happy with banana(yes I know full of sugar and potassium but she must have her meds without totally stressing out)
    Anyway, gave her a dose of Emeprid instead. Droppings slowly and but surely increasing in size.she DID allow me to give her a short tummy rub, well, more on her side perhaps. She IS lively. - trying to mount Harriet - (another issue but not life threatening) so exercise says that's good too, yes?
    Last edited by rosaleen; 13-06-2017 at 08:48 AM.

  4. #14
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    28,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rosaleen View Post
    Sorry about that my IT skills aren't great, couldn't find how to reply different format seemed to be showing
    Apologies for delay in replying, couldn't find my sheet with passwords, (I can't change the password provided by the forum and its an unmemorable one.
    OK firstly Jacks Janet thanks for the links, I especially like the safe and unsafe ones with actual photos( the one i always used didn't.) some new ones, to me listed are readily available. I should have included the garden plants they eat, don't know why I didnt. I had actually thought I was giving them so many of these that it might be /was the reason they are currently eating very little hay, But hope/think the grass, garden plants, apple branches are a viable alternative to the hay.
    Secondly Mighty Max, re the infacol I tried it with BeBe this morning and she wasn't keen at all. I think/know it's the smell, she is very fussy in this regard. After Harriet s last bout of GS my vet recommended pineapple(yes in know there are differing opinions on this) which she loves. offered it to BeBe and she literally RAN off. Ditto fennel leaves.
    However M Max your last post, gave a much smaller dosage. As I just said BeBe wasn't keen but did eat a LITTLE of half of the original dosage suggested,that is to say .5ml. So she possibly had about .1or 2 Regrettably I read your post after I'd fed them first thing. I will try infacol again
    IF anyone has a similar quandary I'd love to know if they've found a healthy, - see below-but appealing food to hide meds in
    Syringe feeding is a no no, but she's usually very happy with banana(yes I know full of sugar and potassium but she must have her meds without totally stressing out)
    Anyway, gave her a dose of Emeprid instead. Droppings slowly and but surely increasing in size.she DID allow me to give her a short tummy rub, well, more on her side perhaps. She IS lively. - trying to mount Harriet - (another issue but not life threatening) so exercise says that's good too, yes?

    Hiding meds ... I use organic baby food. Mine like the blueberries and bananas - Ella's Kitchen is a good brand. But there are carrot and parsnip and an array to choose from. I use this syringed, but you could also put it in a saucer.

    I also find that making a kale/greens/apple smoothie, or a juice drink, works wonders

  5. #15
    Young Bun rosaleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    london
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Thanks M Max,
    Just read your post today,I'll try the baby food, I did have a go once (I think my vet had suggested it) though it wasn't successful then
    However, that was before I cottoned onto the importance of smell for BeBe. I can try out a variety of baby foods if need be.
    I think Be Be is gradually adapting to the infacol. As well as using infacol mixed into a small mashed up slice of banana on a saucer, Ive now started to rub a bit of kale on a banana, for its smell, and then one or two drops of the infacol on top of it. It's slow work (the kale is bought already chopped up into small bits , BUT she will now eat each bit I give her, whereas she wouldn't before, so, progress! the droppings continue to increase in size...... currently cautiously optimistic.

    Thank you all so much for your help
    Rosaleen BeBe and Harriet

  6. #16
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    28,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rosaleen View Post
    Thanks M Max,
    Just read your post today,I'll try the baby food, I did have a go once (I think my vet had suggested it) though it wasn't successful then
    However, that was before I cottoned onto the importance of smell for BeBe. I can try out a variety of baby foods if need be.
    I think Be Be is gradually adapting to the infacol. As well as using infacol mixed into a small mashed up slice of banana on a saucer, Ive now started to rub a bit of kale on a banana, for its smell, and then one or two drops of the infacol on top of it. It's slow work (the kale is bought already chopped up into small bits , BUT she will now eat each bit I give her, whereas she wouldn't before, so, progress! the droppings continue to increase in size...... currently cautiously optimistic.

    Thank you all so much for your help
    Rosaleen BeBe and Harriet

    You're welcome

    I hope those poops continue to grow bigger and bigger xx

  7. #17
    Mama Doe roxyroller88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Newcastle-U-Lyme
    Posts
    2,275

    Default

    Infacol and tummy rubs have been my best friend over the last 7 months! I asked Molly (Varga) about using it with my boy and she said it could certainly help and it certainly does for us
    I'm just wondering why syringing is a no no? Does it stress her out a lot? I have a bun that refuses anything orally and for a long time we had to give injectable everything! He's also got head tilt so when he gets stressed it gets even harder because he goes really tilted! I have mastered the art of syringe feeding him now though if needs be. I have him between my knees on the floor, my legs crossed at the back so that he can't back oit and then I lean right over him, gently holding his face with my left hand and syringing with the right.
    I'm fundraising for Rabbit Rescue North West

    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rrnw

  8. #18
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    28,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roxyroller88 View Post
    Infacol and tummy rubs have been my best friend over the last 7 months! I asked Molly (Varga) about using it with my boy and she said it could certainly help and it certainly does for us
    I'm just wondering why syringing is a no no? Does it stress her out a lot? I have a bun that refuses anything orally and for a long time we had to give injectable everything! He's also got head tilt so when he gets stressed it gets even harder because he goes really tilted! I have mastered the art of syringe feeding him now though if needs be. I have him between my knees on the floor, my legs crossed at the back so that he can't back oit and then I lean right over him, gently holding his face with my left hand and syringing with the right.

    I didn't know Molly was a fan - that's good to know

  9. #19
    Mama Doe roxyroller88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Newcastle-U-Lyme
    Posts
    2,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    I didn't know Molly was a fan - that's good to know
    Yes I asked her over the phone once when Sy wasn't well
    I'm fundraising for Rabbit Rescue North West

    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rrnw

  10. #20
    Young Bun rosaleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    london
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Thank you, I'm just gonna no to do a check post to make sure it's accepted

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •