• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

gut stasis

OK . thanks M Max re baby food, H loves it, stealing it from BB who doesn't like the smell I think (banana and peach was the nearest I could find)
Thanks so much for your posts. I've an update and some explanations
Firstly: Saturday lunch time I saw BeBe s poops were much smaller Arrggh! Off to the vet(first waiting for her to be enticed into her pet carrier before ringing the practice ) Back on Emeprid which I'd run out of and Meta calm. I know with hindsight I should have carried on with the infacol. I'd foolishly stopped administrating it Friday pm. As I'd said in one of my last posts, it was very slow work to give it to her, she would only accept one or two drops at a time on a piece of greens which I had first rubbed with banana.
I have two physical problems; firstly sitting on the floor to do syringing is impossible because I can't bend my ankles underneath me as Roxyroller described for administrating meds. the vet nurse had shown me this way once when Harriett needed supplement food cos of GS. And I can't kneel down because of my knees So the whole process was fraught with difficulties even though Harriet is friendly, happy to be handled and so on.
In sharp contrast BeBe barely allows me to stroke her( not too bad when she's eating) let alone anything else. She s rescued, and was teamed up with H at the rescue centre. I believe BB must have lived in a small hutch with no outside access and very little human contact, because for the first six months she literally stayed in the pet cage, (half covered over) I had got for them before they moved in , to have as a safe place to use, in my flat. Now after18 months she uses less than half of the (large ) living room whereas H trots off into the hall and bedroom, her cataract not withstanding. (My last rabbit Nesbit would regularly take herself off to the bedroom at 9pm and sleep under the bed)
I had started sitting on the floor to feed them a portion of their pellets on my legs to acclimatise them, well BB really. However 8 weeks ago I broke a rib and this is still painful especially getting down and up on the floor , bending over to feed the meds. and sitting on the floor with my legs to one side.
The vet also gave me Fibreflex, a probiotics supplement feed. I have now managed to strategically place 4 low chairs in BB s territory in the living room to help me in giving the other meds. (While also distracting H, with only two hands , who wants anything BB is offered).
I have a friend who lives 10 minutes away by car who has now offered to help with the syringe, though I haven't said its three times a day! She's a long term dog owner and nurse but I'm reluctant about the fibreflex, because from a subjective point of view it feels to me like terrorising BB, given her history UNLESS it's imperative. Is it?

Last edited:
OK . thanks M Max re baby food, H loves it, stealing it from BB who doesn't like the smell I think (banana and peach was the nearest I could find)
Thanks so much for your posts. I've an update and some explanations
Firstly: Saturday lunch time I saw BeBe s poops were much smaller Arrggh! Off to the vet(first waiting for her to be enticed into her pet carrier before ringing the practice ) Back on Emeprid which I'd run out of and Meta calm. I know with hindsight I should have carried on with the infacol. I'd foolishly stopped administrating it Friday pm. As I'd said in one of my last posts, it was very slow work to give it to her, she would only accept one or two drops at a time on a piece of greens which I had first rubbed with banana.
I have two physical problems; firstly sitting on the floor to do syringing is impossible because I can't bend my ankles underneath me as Roxyroller described for administrating meds. the vet nurse had shown me this way once when Harriett needed supplement food cos of GS. And I can't kneel down because of my knees So the whole process was fraught with difficulties even though Harriet is friendly, happy to be handled and so on.
In sharp contrast BeBe barely allows me to stroke her( not too bad when she's eating) let alone anything else. She s rescued, and was teamed up with H at the rescue centre. I believe BB must have lived in a small hutch with no outside access and very little human contact, because for the first six months she literally stayed in the pet cage, (half covered over) I had got for them before they moved in , to have as a safe place to use, in my flat. Now after18 months she uses less than half of the (large ) living room whereas H trots off into the hall and bedroom, her cataract not withstanding. (My last rabbit Nesbit would regularly take herself off to the bedroom at 9pm and sleep under the bed)
I had started sitting on the floor to feed them a portion of their pellets on my legs to acclimatise them, well BB really. However 8 weeks ago I broke a rib and this is still painful especially getting down and up on the floor , bending over to feed the meds. and sitting on the floor with my legs to one side.
The vet also gave me Fibreflex, a probiotics supplement feed. I have now managed to strategically place 4 low chairs in BB s territory in the living room to help me in giving the other meds. (While also distracting H, with only two hands , who wants anything BB is offered).
I have a friend who lives 10 minutes away by car who has now offered to help with the syringe, though I haven't said its three times a day! She's a long term dog owner and nurse but I'm reluctant about the fibreflex, because from a subjective point of view it feels to me like terrorising BB, given her history UNLESS it's imperative. Is it?

How are you getting on Rosaleen :wave:

Good....
Well, It's been a long week. Saturday 17th vet visit, BB given the once over, more Emeprid prescribed plus meta calm.
All going wellies but by Thursday still some small droppings. Phone call to vet resulted in supply of three further days of Emeprid only.
HOWEVER,the following day Friday I saw very small droppings. Immediately enticed and isolated Harriet in the pet carrier to check what was happening. No droppings at all for the morning while BBis happily pooping away.
Off to the vet, different one. Emeprid injection and three days of oral suspension.no metacalm At the same time I booked a follow up visit for later this afternoon. It's a Monday so should see my original vet.
There seems to be a common denominator but can't work out what it is. Two possible ones.....
Firstly in the past I have always used pets at home Timothy hay, but last few weeks Woodlands Timothy hay has been on special offer so bought some, mixing it gradually with the other till the original petered out. Unfortunately I DID make the mistake of buying some more of the original and failing to mix it properly in their feeding area. I just put them next to each other. Could this be a cause? They are different. Woodlands appears coarser, a some of it bit straw like, but greener. The Pets at Home looks older, if that makes sense.
Second possible cause, in the past few weeks, I THINK I've really upped the grass I give them. Previously this was usually short, but no mowing has been done and the grass is very long and now flowering. Easier to pick. There is buttercup in the lawn too but I'm careful to avoid this. (Although it's not good practice and before I learnt about buttercups my previous rabbits using the lawn just helped themselves, with no signs of ill effects whatsoever.)
The second vet suggested that because my two current rabbits don't go out they're not exercising enough. I think I'd contest this as they are pretty mobile inside, especially Harriet who like to wander and at the moment BB in his efforts to try to mount H
Which brings me to my next point. This second vet recommended an infuser which is meant to have a calming influence. (I ll put this on a separate thread as well) a sales gimmick or possibly /likely to work??
I'm sincerely apologise for the long post but you did ask!!

Last edited:
I'm doing this post because after BB s GS finally settling last week my other rabbit Harriet immediately showed signs very small poops. Still active, eating well. off to the vet last Friday, 23rd dosage 3 days emeprid. Returned Monday 26th given metaclam injection-plus 5 days worth of Emeprid. At the end of the Emeprid supply yesterday Saturday, all looked well, poops full size.
However Early this morning small poops in evidence 95% sure it's Harriet. Quick visit to supermarket for baby food as recommended by MM to use with Infacol which I still have from 3 weeks ago when i couldn't persuade BB to take. Harriet I know really liked it so....
Currently H has had what I hope is one correct dose. though I wrote down the info given to me (by MM or from a link sent to me? ) from BB's episode. I can't be sure the dose I gave her is correct.
. I had written. " simethicone for gas 1-2cc 20 mg/ml suspension."
The infacol bottle says 1 dropper full is 0.5ml. This is the dose I gave H.
i think I'm missing a dot on the '20mg/ml' ????
Can anyone help please? Any dosages advice in ml please as I have a ml syringe I can use.
Also any advice on how often to give her the infacol
Many many thanks

Last edited:
Hi ,just rereading my post from the 26th and realised I've been repeating myself.
Apologies but that's what the stress is doing to me!

I'm doing this post because after BB s GS finally settling last week my other rabbit Harriet immediately showed signs very small poops. Still active, eating well. off to the vet last Friday, 23rd dosage 3 days emeprid. Returned Monday 26th given metaclam injection-plus 5 days worth of Emeprid. At the end of the Emeprid supply yesterday Saturday, all looked well, poops full size.
However Early this morning small poops in evidence 95% sure it's Harriet. Quick visit to supermarket for baby food as recommended by MM to use with Infacol which I still have from 3 weeks ago when i couldn't persuade BB to take. Harriet I know really liked it so....
Currently H has had what I hope is one correct dose. though I wrote down the info given to me (by MM or from a link sent to me? ) from BB's episode. I can't be sure the dose I gave her is correct.
. I had written. " simethicone for gas 1-2cc 20 mg/ml suspension."
The infacol bottle says 1 dropper full is 0.5ml. This is the dose I gave H.
i think I'm missing a dot on the '20mg/ml' ????
Can anyone help please? Any dosages advice in ml please as I have a ml syringe I can use.
Also any advice on how often to give her the infacol
Many many thanks

Rosaleen - It wasn't me, I don't go in for complicated dosages :lol:

I've replied on your other thread ..... PM me if anything's unclear. I've been out all day so just catching up here :D

I need advice please and have questions. I am becoming confused!
Here's an update on Harriet's condition. Just to recap she was on Emeprid from 23rd June to the morning ofSaturday 1st July, when the meds ran out, when the problem 'should' have resolved itself. But all wasn't well as the small poops reappeared. it was now Sunday, I started her on Infacol, the poops began increasing in size again. I've kept her on infacol since then.
Her appetite is excellent, she drinks well, her energy appears good. Her diet is hay and more hay, greens, not too much kale broccoli grass apple branches and leaves.Ive split the 3 daily doses of 1ml each time into 8 hours apart. It seems every morning her poops are small(though definitely bigger than at the start of the infacol) but as the day progresses they get bigger to nearly her normal size. Yes I'm obsessing about poops but reading the 'sticky' posts this isn't too unusual!
How long can/do rabbits have infacol please?
I wish I could give a good reason as to why I haven't been back to the vet yet but I'm still trying to process that one. I DO know that reading forum members posts on their rabbits with recurring GS (if that's what it really is given her overall health) has stopped me worrying/obsessing about its continuation.

Last edited:
I need advice please and have questions. I am becoming confused!
Here's an update on Harriet's condition. Just to recap she was on Emeprid from 23rd June to the morning ofSaturday 1st July, when the meds ran out, when the problem 'should' have resolved itself. But all wasn't well as the small poops reappeared. it was now Sunday, I started her on Infacol, the poops began increasing in size again. I've kept her on infacol since then.
Her appetite is excellent, she drinks well, her energy appears good. Her diet is hay and more hay, greens, not too much kale broccoli grass apple branches and leaves.Ive split the 3 daily doses of 1ml each time into 8 hours apart. It seems every morning her poops are small(though definitely bigger than at the start of the infacol) but as the day progresses they get bigger to nearly her normal size. Yes I'm obsessing about poops but reading the 'sticky' posts this isn't too unusual!
How long can/do rabbits have infacol please?
I wish I could give a good reason as to why I haven't been back to the vet yet but I'm still trying to process that one. I DO know that reading forum members posts on their rabbits with recurring GS (if that's what it really is given her overall health) has stopped me worrying/obsessing about its continuation.

Hi rosaleen

I was wondering how you were getting on :)

There is no time limit for rabbits to be on Infacol. There are some rabbits that are on permanent gut motility meds or ranitidine. Infacol isn't absorbed by the body so has no side effects. Babies take it for as long as they need it.

However, at some stage you're aware you need to sort this out, if at all possible. Some intractable cases of stasis are difficult if not impossible to determine the root cause. But you need to talk with your vet when you've time about everything that's going on.

Have her teeth been checked recently?

Hi M Max:wave:, thanks so very much for your post. I really appreciate it.
Yes I know you're right, I need to visit the vet just to be sure. I do worry that I'm not doing enough,that she might have a partial blockage or something building up in her stomach and because she not amenable to tummy rubs from me means I can't properly check myself.
However it is reassuring to be told that some rabbits are on permanent meds, which I hope is the worst case scenario for Harriet. I will make an appointment this morning with the vet making sure I see the one I feel has the most knowledge and experience.
Re teeth, yes she was checked in June and previously in January when she had her last GS episode.
Thanks again. I'll let you know what happens.:D

Last edited:
Hi M Max:wave:, thanks so very much for your post. I really appreciate it.
Yes I know you're right, I need to visit the vet just to be sure. I do worry that I'm not doing enough,that she might have a partial blockage or something building up in her stomach and because she not amenable to tummy rubs from me means I can't properly check myself.
However it is reassuring to be told that some rabbits are on permanent meds, which I hope is the worst case scenario for Harriet. I will make an appointment this morning with the vet making sure I see the one I feel has the most knowledge and experience.
Re teeth, yes she was checked in June and previously in January when she had her last GS episode.
Thanks again. I'll let you know what happens.:D

You're welcome rosaleen :)

Look forward to seeing what your rabbit savvy vet says later on :)

Last edited:
Hi :wave:just to update. Harriet saw a new vet who seems to have a great deal of rabbit knowledge. after a very thorough examination she assured me H is in very good health. She prescribed 7 days of Emeprid.
She also advised me to increase H's fluid intake which should/will help her poops, by always spraying water on the greens etc that I give her.
Plus instead of the banana I use to mix with her meds I should feed ONLY fruit a rabbit would find in her natural habitat and which will help with the fluids.
She advised celery,(which I later read needs to be cut up small cross ways to avoid choking) , the base of fennel; plus strawberries and blackberries which are easy to mix with meds BUT very watery so difficult to ensure everything is wiped up with greens leaves so I've reverted, temporarily I hope, back to banana.Any and all of course to be introduced very slowly.
In addition, pineapple to help gut motility- is that the right word?- which I'd previously been recommended, she advised using just the leaves as they contain the most enzymes needed.
I'll see how things go. I'm very happy that H is ' I'll try anything' sort of rabbit, so unlike BB.

Unfortunately Jazz my cat has developed a limp and will NOT take her pain meds arrggh, so I'm trawling through all the tasty food options for her.

Last edited:
Hi :wave:just to update. Harriet saw a new vet who seems to have a great deal of rabbit knowledge. after a very thorough examination she assured me H is in very good health. She prescribed 7 days of Emeprid.
She also advised me to increase H's fluid intake which should/will help her poops, by always spraying water on the greens etc that I give her.
Plus instead of the banana I use to mix with her meds I should feed ONLY fruit a rabbit would find in her natural habitat and which will help with the fluids.
She advised celery,(which I later read needs to be cut up small cross ways to avoid choking) , the base of fennel; plus strawberries and blackberries which are easy to mix with meds BUT very watery so difficult to ensure everything is wiped up with greens leaves so I've reverted, temporarily I hope, back to banana.Any and all of course to be introduced very slowly.
In addition, pineapple to help gut motility- is that the right word?- which I'd previously been recommended, she advised using just the leaves as they contain the most enzymes needed.
I'll see how things go. I'm very happy that H is ' I'll try anything' sort of rabbit, so unlike BB.

Unfortunately Jazz my cat has developed a limp and will NOT take her pain meds arrggh, so I'm trawling through all the tasty food options for her.

Goos news about your vet and upping the fluid intake :)

I would personally be careful feeding pineapple leaves, as Ingestion of the sap in pineapple leaves can lead to severe pain in the mouth, as well as skin irritation of the lips, tongue and mouth

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/outside-pineapple-poisonous-eat-80944.html

The bromelain content of raw pineapple is responsible for the sore mouth feeling often experienced when eating it, due to the enzymes breaking down the proteins of sensitive tissues in the mouth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapple

Just a heads up to go steady with it, not to disagree with your vet's advice :)

Sorry to hear about Jazz! If it's not one thing, it's another :roll: I hope you can get her to take her meds x

Hi M Max, thanks very much for the info on pineapples. I will most certainly take it in to account:shock:. I'll do screen grabs and print off the links you have given to add them to my rabbit file

I'd forgot to say the vet also advised to stop feeding anything other than hay after 5pm of an evening to encourage an increase in the amount of hay they eat.

Just got some new tasty treats for Jazz, so fingers crossed.:roll:

Last edited:
Hi M Max, thanks very much for the info on pineapples. I will most certainly take it in to account:shock:. I'll do screen grabs and print off the links you have given to add them to my rabbit file

I'd forgot to say the vet also advised to stop feeding anything other than hay after 5pm of an evening to encourage an increase in the amount of hay they eat.

Just got some new tasty treats for Jazz, so fingers crossed.:roll:

You're very welcome :)

Yes, fingers crossed for Jazz!

You mentioned that H had her teeth checked twice this year. Did they rule out issues with the roots of her teeth by doing a skull X-ray? Is H getting any pain medications at home?
Bunnies can require a considerable amount of fluids so their system does not pull fluids from their guts (which results in poo becoming dry and harder to pass). Supplementing with Sub Q fluids may help.
While hay is an important source of fiber for all bunnies. Some bunnies will not eat as much hay if they are given the choice between hay and foods they find more enjoyable. Perhaps your vet wants to make sure your bunny is not choosing too many of the alternatives and not enough hay by asking you to feed only hay after 5pm.
it is just as important to keep a bunny eating regularly to keep their guts moving regularly. Recovery food can offer some added nutrients and fiber for a bunny with GS.
You may have read already that you should introduce any new food slowly.
Sending you some positive vibes for you and Jazz.

Back