• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beano, hind leg disabled UD: 27/06

I'm sorry to only come on Ru to post on this thread again, asking for advice when ive has little to offer others recently. I've just started a new full time job and been doing lots of training on top for it amongst other things.

I checked Beano this morning and she was well, wobbly and unsteady but managing to drag her legs relatively easily which is the best she seems to be at the moment. My partner fed them as I left early and said she ate and all was well. Ive been to check on her now and she isn't moving her back end at all and can't hold herself up on her front legs either, she looks in a really sorry state :cry: Shes been cleaned and dried and is on her vetbed with hay and water within reach, she has a vet appt at 8pm. I believe the vets will advise pts, but I don't know if it's the right time. She'll eat most times and is eating hay and treats atm, but I don't know if she's hiding pain and despite regular checks she does get wet and sore and sometimes.needs help getting around. She never lies down and can't Binky nymore so does she really have quality of life but then other times she seems bright and content. I really don't know what to do, will wait for vets advice :cry:

I am very sorry that Beano has deteriorated. Whilst it is not for me to say what I think you should do my personal opinion is that to have an acceptable quality of life a disabled Rabbit needs to be able to do more than just eat. This link may be useful to take a look at

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/quality-of-life.html

I'm sorry to only come on Ru to post on this thread again, asking for advice when ive has little to offer others recently. I've just started a new full time job and been doing lots of training on top for it amongst other things.

I checked Beano this morning and she was well, wobbly and unsteady but managing to drag her legs relatively easily which is the best she seems to be at the moment. My partner fed them as I left early and said she ate and all was well. Ive been to check on her now and she isn't moving her back end at all and can't hold herself up on her front legs either, she looks in a really sorry state :cry: Shes been cleaned and dried and is on her vetbed with hay and water within reach, she has a vet appt at 8pm. I believe the vets will advise pts, but I don't know if it's the right time. She'll eat most times and is eating hay and treats atm, but I don't know if she's hiding pain and despite regular checks she does get wet and sore and sometimes.needs help getting around. She never lies down and can't Binky nymore so does she really have quality of life but then other times she seems bright and content. I really don't know what to do, will wait for vets advice :cry:

I'm really sorry Liz. I had this crossroads earlier this year and it's heartbreaking every time it happens.

Quality of life is something only you can assess, as you're the one with most contact.

I don't know if anything here is helpful at all:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-8/quality-of-life.html

http://rabbit.org/end-of-life/

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/quality-of-life.html

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?270142-Quality-of-Life

I found it useful to read something alongside vet's advice. Of course you don't have to jump into anything this evening, but if your gut tells you it's the right thing then I know you'll make the compassionate choice.

Lots of love and hugs xx

Thank you all. The links were very helpful, it's hard to detach myself from the situation, and not just see the rabbit I've had since I was 14 and grown up and gone through a lot with and who I never imagined not to be there. But she could do longer do what she enjoyed, she needed round the clock care which even then was a struggle to keep her comfortable and she wasn't accepting being disabled well at all.

She passed peacefully at 8.15, she just lied down and closed her eyes. Very quick and peaceful, which leads me to believe it was her time. She's back with Gordon now, she never was the same after he died. I'm taking her to my dad's now to have her hurried alongside my other childhood pets. I am devastated but I'm sure it will hit me harder when I realise she's truly gone. xx

Thank you all. The links were very helpful, it's hard to detach myself from the situation, and not just see the rabbit I've had since I was 14 and grown up and gone through a lot with and who I never imagined not to be there. But she could do longer do what she enjoyed, she needed round the clock care which even then was a struggle to keep her comfortable and she wasn't accepting being disabled well at all.

She passed peacefully at 8.15, she just lied down and closed her eyes. Very quick and peaceful, which leads me to believe it was her time. She's back with Gordon now, she never was the same after he died. I'm taking her to my dad's now to have her hurried alongside my other childhood pets. I am devastated but I'm sure it will hit me harder when I realise she's truly gone. xx

She was ready to go, little lamb xx

Hugs for you Liz. You did the right thing, painful though it always is xx

I'm so sorry :cry: you did everything you could for her.

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Oh Liz, I've just seen this. I am so very sorry for your loss. :cry:

She had you in her corner and obviously was a much loved companion. It is so hard to see them grow weary and need our help at this time. You have been so very brave. Bless her, she is able to run and folic now and must be smiling upon you.

((((((Huge hugs)))))) and thinking of you at this sad time.
Sweet dreams Beano, and binky free forevermore. xxxx

Back