Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spinning and Head Tilt (after finishing treatment for EC)

Hello!
    Feel free to inbox me at anytime
    I think that a second opinion off another vet is an excellent idea!
    A few things, can you tell us more about your set-up? I think that getting this right is a really important part of helping a head tilt rabbit. Wide open spaces can confuse them so if he is rolling a lot then reduce his space right down. If you can set him up a pen then you can make it a nice, safe area by rolling up towels and blankets to act as bumpers, that way if he falls he won't hurt himself Flooring is also really important so avoid laminate, wood, tiles or anything that may slip and slide beneath his feet such as towels on a slippy surface. Carpets or rugs are ideal, you can buy cheap carpet offcuts for about 10 if needed. Make sure the floor is solid and even too, nothing too soft or squishy!
    Also try to resist picking him off. His balance will be off and picking him up will send everything spinning. Keep his feet firmly on the ground whenever possible and medicate him on the floor too if you can.
    Again, feel free to message me at any time! I also recommend joining the head tilt group mentioned above.

*Edit* When he rolls is he able to get out of the roll himself or do you help him? You can actually get meds to help with the dizziness/rolling. Has your vet mentioned these to you?
    Xxx
    Last edited by roxyroller88; 12-06-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    I'm fundraising for Rabbit Rescue North West

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rrnw

New Kit

My rabbit with e cunniculi seems to be enjoying a good quality of life. She loves her male companion George who gets a good grooming. She can eat and drink herself now though initially could not and needed syringe feeding. Loves her hay and greens. She can run about a little bit in a secure soft area but no longer can have free run of garden anymore. She does roll over quite often but manages to get back up again.

I'm sorry to hear about Alfie. I had a bunny with severe head tilt - hers was EC induced. Progress was really slow going / practically non existant for about 6 weeks but after that it built over time. Within a few months she was running, mainly in circles but she was a happy bunny (& the circles got bigger).

How long was Alfie on EC treatment for ?

Quote Originally Posted by sallybunnyrabbit212 View Post

My rabbit with e cunniculi seems to be enjoying a good quality of life. She loves her male companion George who gets a good grooming. She can eat and drink herself now though initially could not and needed syringe feeding. Loves her hay and greens. She can run about a little bit in a secure soft area but no longer can have free run of garden anymore. She does roll over quite often but manages to get back up again.

Hi Sally and welcome to the Forum

Please do begin a thread of your own, and you can post all about your rabbit and post photos. She looks adorable

Quote Originally Posted by MariaB View Post
    Hello again MightyMax,

You can tell I am a newbie as I've have found the reply with quote way (apologies to all for posts without quotes to you individually!!).

Alfie has been on Steroids for 6 days now and seems a little bit better (he's seems to be able to stop himself sometimes now).

Thank you for the additional links too - you and everyone have been so, so helpful and it is very much appreciated.

Thank you again.

Maria x

When a find a savvy rabbit Vet in Cardiff, I will

Hi Maria

How is young Alfie doing these days?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Hi Maria

How is young Alfie doing these days?
    Hello MightyMax

Apologies for the delay, the alerts have only just come through to me.

Thank you so much for asking, Alfie has good & bad days but has learnt to stick his front left paw out to steady himself.

This kind community has been so reassuring and given me so much help & hope that Alfie will improve over time & I'm so pleased that I seem to be doing everything right to keep him happy & content.

I can't thank you all enough for all your similar stories, advice & kind words - thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Maria
    Xxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by MariaB View Post
    Hello MightyMax

Apologies for the delay, the alerts have only just come through to me.

Thank you so much for asking, Alfie has good & bad days but has learnt to stick his front left paw out to steady himself.

This kind community has been so reassuring and given me so much help & hope that Alfie will improve over time & I'm so pleased that I seem to be doing everything right to keep him happy & content.

I can't thank you all enough for all your similar stories, advice & kind words - thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Maria
    Xxxxx

Ahh, I'm glad you've found RU so helpful

I hope Alfie's good days outnumber his bad days, and that you're more confident and reassured overall xx

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about Alfie. I had a bunny with severe head tilt - hers was EC induced. Progress was really slow going / practically non existant for about 6 weeks but after that it built over time. Within a few months she was running, mainly in circles but she was a happy bunny (& the circles got bigger).

How long was Alfie on EC treatment for ?
    Hello Joey & Boo

Thank you for post & the hope you have given me.

Alfie was on the EC treatment for 28 days & is he is now on Steroids (it's been a couple of weeks).

I'll keep giving him as much love & caring as I can & can't wait for him to run around again, especially in big circles!!

I hope your bunnies & you are well.

Thank you again,

Maria xx

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Ahh, I'm glad you've found RU so helpful

I hope Alfie's good days outnumber his bad days, and that you're more confident and reassured overall xx
    Ahh thank you so much, I'm definitely reassured now & chuffed to bits that what I have done has helped Alfie.

You all have been amazing with your responses & advice - thank you all so, so much xx