• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spinning and Head Tilt (after finishing treatment for EC)

MariaB

New Kit
Hello everyone,

My little Alfie (who is 16 weeks old Netherland Dwarf) keeps spinning & his head is tilted to the left. He's just finished medication for EC.

He is mentally happy, affectionate and strong, he's growing, has the shiniest, fluffiest fur & is putting on weight but the spinning & head tilt is worrying me.

I took him to the vets Monday and the vet said the best thing was to put him down. I refused and now we are trying him on Steroids.

Has anyone else experienced this please and does the condition improve? I don't care if it takes months or years - I just want to know that he can get better as he is cocooned in his Quilt and he should be running around, having fun.

Thank you for any advice & have a nice evening.

Maria

Hello everyone,

My little Alfie (who is 16 weeks old Netherland Dwarf) keeps spinning & his head is tilted to the left. He's just finished medication for EC.

He is mentally happy, affectionate and strong, he's growing, has the shiniest, fluffiest fur & is putting on weight but the spinning & head tilt is worrying me.

I took him to the vets Monday and the vet said the best thing was to put him down. I refused and now we are trying him on Steroids.

Has anyone else experienced this please and does the condition improve? I don't care if it takes months or years - I just want to know that he can get better as he is cocooned in his Quilt and he should be running around, having fun.

Maria

Hi Maria

I am sorry to hear about Alfie. That's distressing :(

I wonder if it's something to do with what's in the ear then?

Head tilt and spinning can be a symptom of an ear infection. Not all ear infections are visible to the eye when a vet looks in the ear.

You might want to check out these links:

The first Kevin Eatwell article is very useful :)

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

Would it be worth getting a second opinion on this, or at least some head X-rays?

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Maria

Hello

I am sorry to hear of Alfie's illness. Has your Vet ruled out the possibility of the symptoms being related to a middle ear infection rather than EC. Although in such a young Rabbit EC does seem to be a more likely diagnosis.

Firstly, if you are on Facebook there is a Group there that offers a lot of advice and support for people who are caring for Rabbits with 'Head Tilt', I suggest you join the group if possible :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HelpforHeadTiltHoppers/

Here are a few other sources of information :

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

http://www.veterinary.ie/go/pet_care_notes/rabbits/head-tilts-in-rabbits

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/e-cuniculi/

One of our members on here (roxyroller88 has a lovely Bunny called Hiro whom she nursed for months as he developed a severe head tilt with rolling. I am sure she would not mind if you PM'd her to seek her advice on general nursing care. The care may need to go on for a very, very long time. But eventually some Rabbits can recover enough to enjoy a good quality of life, even if they always have a wonky head. Here is the link to contact roxyroller88

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/member.php?41537-roxyroller88

Finally, you could seek a second opinion from another Vet if your current Vet is unwilling to consider attempting to treat Alfie and will only suggest PTS. If you start a new thread over in 'Rabbit Chat' entitled 'Rabbit Savvy Vet Needed in/near Cardiff' some of our members may be able to offer some suggestions.

Good luck to you and little Alfie x

Last edited:
I cannot add to the excellent advice you've already been given, but I just wanted you to know that my mini lop, Mimzy, got severe head tilt 5 years ago and while it took the better part of a year to get him back to a point where he could eat, drink. clean himself and move about on his own without rolling or tumbling, he is still with me and his head is much less tilted than it was when he first got sick, although it does have some residual tilt and he tends to move in a circular motion.

It can be done. It can take some intense nursing and care on your part, but it sounds like you are very much fighting his corner and that is half the battle. I hope your bunny will recover and be more himself soon. xxxx

Hello everyone,

Maria

I just found a couple more links that may be of use:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-8/head-tilt.html

http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/head_tilt.htm

How long has Alfie been on steroids?

Hello MightyMax,

Thanks you so much for replying and for the the links, that is a great help.

I will get a 2nd opinion as the Vet said it wasn't an ear infection after checking quickly in his ears.

Thank you so much again, I am so grateful :D

Maria

Hello Jack's-Janes,

Thank you so much for your reply and links and information and I will certainly try your suggestion of a rabbit savvy vet.

We have been nursing Alfie 24 hours a day for the last month (my other half is on the day shift while I'm in work and I do the afternoon and night shift).

I'm ever so grateful for you reply and thank you so much.

Maria x

I cannot add to the excellent advice you've already been given, but I just wanted you to know that my mini lop, Mimzy, got severe head tilt 5 years ago and while it took the better part of a year to get him back to a point where he could eat, drink. clean himself and move about on his own without rolling or tumbling, he is still with me and his head is much less tilted than it was when he first got sick, although it does have some residual tilt and he tends to move in a circular motion.

It can be done. It can take some intense nursing and care on your part, but it sounds like you are very much fighting his corner and that is half the battle. I hope your bunny will recover and be more himself soon. xxxx

Hello MinzMum,

Thank you so much for your reply - that has given me so much hope now & even if it takes a year, I will carrying on nursing little Alfie for how ever long it takes.

Thank you so much again.

Maria x

Hello again MightyMax,

You can tell I am a newbie as I've have found the reply with quote way (apologies to all for posts without quotes to you individually!!).

Alfie has been on Steroids for 6 days now and seems a little bit better (he's seems to be able to stop himself sometimes now).

Thank you for the additional links too - you and everyone have been so, so helpful and it is very much appreciated.

Thank you again.

Maria x

When a find a savvy rabbit Vet in Cardiff, I will

Hello again MightyMax,

You can tell I am a newbie as I've have found the reply with quote way (apologies to all for posts without quotes to you individually!!).

Alfie has been on Steroids for 6 days now and seems a little bit better (he's seems to be able to stop himself sometimes now).

Thank you for the additional links too - you and everyone have been so, so helpful and it is very much appreciated.

Thank you again.

Maria x

Hi Maria

Thank you for replying.

If you want to find a good vet in your area (and I suggest you take your rabbit to see one) then you can start another thread in Rabbit Chat with the header:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location)

...and members will help you out with their recommendations.

Alternatively you could look here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/vets-owners-recommendations

However, I can't see any listed there under your town.

Good luck xx

Hello!
Feel free to inbox me at anytime :)
I think that a second opinion off another vet is an excellent idea!
A few things, can you tell us more about your set-up? I think that getting this right is a really important part of helping a head tilt rabbit. Wide open spaces can confuse them so if he is rolling a lot then reduce his space right down. If you can set him up a pen then you can make it a nice, safe area by rolling up towels and blankets to act as bumpers, that way if he falls he won't hurt himself :) Flooring is also really important so avoid laminate, wood, tiles or anything that may slip and slide beneath his feet such as towels on a slippy surface. Carpets or rugs are ideal, you can buy cheap carpet offcuts for about £10 if needed. Make sure the floor is solid and even too, nothing too soft or squishy!
Also try to resist picking him off. His balance will be off and picking him up will send everything spinning. Keep his feet firmly on the ground whenever possible and medicate him on the floor too if you can.
Again, feel free to message me at any time! I also recommend joining the head tilt group mentioned above.

*Edit* When he rolls is he able to get out of the roll himself or do you help him? You can actually get meds to help with the dizziness/rolling. Has your vet mentioned these to you?
Xxx

Last edited:
bc1ce5150680fad531357df9a2ebc500.jpg

My rabbit with e cunniculi seems to be enjoying a good quality of life. She loves her male companion George who gets a good grooming. She can eat and drink herself now though initially could not and needed syringe feeding. Loves her hay and greens. She can run about a little bit in a secure soft area but no longer can have free run of garden anymore. She does roll over quite often but manages to get back up again.

I'm sorry to hear about Alfie. I had a bunny with severe head tilt - hers was EC induced. Progress was really slow going / practically non existant for about 6 weeks but after that it built over time. Within a few months she was running, mainly in circles but she was a happy bunny (& the circles got bigger).

How long was Alfie on EC treatment for ?

bc1ce5150680fad531357df9a2ebc500.jpg

My rabbit with e cunniculi seems to be enjoying a good quality of life. She loves her male companion George who gets a good grooming. She can eat and drink herself now though initially could not and needed syringe feeding. Loves her hay and greens. She can run about a little bit in a secure soft area but no longer can have free run of garden anymore. She does roll over quite often but manages to get back up again.

Hi Sally and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Please do begin a thread of your own, and you can post all about your rabbit and post photos. She looks adorable :love:

Hello again MightyMax,

Thank you again.

Maria x

Hi Maria

How is young Alfie doing these days? :)

Hi Maria

How is young Alfie doing these days? :)

Hello MightyMax :wave:

Apologies for the delay, the alerts have only just come through to me.

Thank you so much for asking, Alfie has good & bad days but has learnt to stick his front left paw out to steady himself.

This kind community has been so reassuring and given me so much help & hope that Alfie will improve over time & I'm so pleased that I seem to be doing everything right to keep him happy & content.

I can't thank you all enough for all your similar stories, advice & kind words - thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Maria
Xxxxx

Hello MightyMax :wave:

Apologies for the delay, the alerts have only just come through to me.

Thank you so much for asking, Alfie has good & bad days but has learnt to stick his front left paw out to steady himself.

This kind community has been so reassuring and given me so much help & hope that Alfie will improve over time & I'm so pleased that I seem to be doing everything right to keep him happy & content.

I can't thank you all enough for all your similar stories, advice & kind words - thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Maria
Xxxxx

Ahh, I'm glad you've found RU so helpful :)

I hope Alfie's good days outnumber his bad days, and that you're more confident and reassured overall xx

I'm sorry to hear about Alfie. I had a bunny with severe head tilt - hers was EC induced. Progress was really slow going / practically non existant for about 6 weeks but after that it built over time. Within a few months she was running, mainly in circles but she was a happy bunny (& the circles got bigger).

How long was Alfie on EC treatment for ?

Hello Joey & Boo :wave:

Thank you for post & the hope you have given me.

Alfie was on the EC treatment for 28 days & is he is now on Steroids (it's been a couple of weeks).

I'll keep giving him as much love & caring as I can & can't wait for him to run around again, especially in big circles!!

I hope your bunnies & you are well.

Thank you again,

Maria xx

Ahh, I'm glad you've found RU so helpful :)

I hope Alfie's good days outnumber his bad days, and that you're more confident and reassured overall xx

Ahh thank you so much, I'm definitely reassured now & chuffed to bits that what I have done has helped Alfie.

You all have been amazing with your responses & advice - thank you all so, so much xx

Back