Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now Imogen not eating / SS Mature?

Default Now Imogen not eating / SS Mature?

I don't understand this Imogen last night refused all food (except for some Jerusalem Artichoke leaves), she was still very active, I gave her some metacam, infacol and water but still the same this morning so they are back at the vets again.

I'm trying to work out what is causing them to go off their food. Does anyone else feed SS Mature? Could it have changed? I'm thinking of switching mine to Excel. I had avoided Excel due to Mini's tummy issues and I don't want to use SS regular due to Smudge choking on it. I noticed Smudge also left a few this morning, although he had plenty of the Profibre pellets so I'm starting to wonder if the taste has changed.

Photos: Mischa/Mini/Nutmeg/Smudge/Imogen/Instagram Housing Stickies: Indoor/Outdoor

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    I don't understand this Imogen last night refused all food (except for some Jerusalem Artichoke leaves), she was still very active, I gave her some metacam, infacol and water but still the same this morning so they are back at the vets again.

I'm trying to work out what is causing them to go off their food. Does anyone else feed SS Mature? Could it have changed? I'm thinking of switching mine to Excel. I had avoided Excel due to Mini's tummy issues and I don't want to use SS regular due to Smudge choking on it. I noticed Smudge also left a few this morning, although he had plenty of the Profibre pellets so I'm starting to wonder if the taste has changed.
    I dont feed any type of SS so I cant comment on that. Most of my Rabbits are not on any Pellets at all and Elyse has Fibafirst Sticks.

I hope that Imogen will be feeling better soon.

For up-to-date information about RHD2
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/

To view reported cases of RHD2 and Vets reported to stock the RHD2 Vaccine

http://rhd2map.buntools.org.uk/

Shop Online and raise money for Animal Rescue + Care (ARC)

https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/home/giving-machine/

Warren Veteran

I'm sorry to read this. I hope she will soon feel better.

I've never tried the SS Mature and still feed the SS regular (not had issues with choking). My rabbits are 6, 7 and almost 8 years old. Have you tried Fibafirst or Supreme's Digestive Formula, which seems to be very similar to Fibafirst. Mine will eat either, but they don't like them as much as SS regular and will only eat them if there's nothing else on offer.

Thank you Jane. I'm going to try a few things, one being to try and be a bit more regular with giving them greens. Cos of Mini I kinda got out of the habit. I've also noticed some silicone missing from round the edges of the room so I'm concerned about that in case they've been eating it, so going to try and get that fixed before they get home.

Photos: Mischa/Mini/Nutmeg/Smudge/Imogen/Instagram Housing Stickies: Indoor/Outdoor

Hi Omi, thank you.

I used to feed Fibafirst, I'm trying to remember why I stopped, I think it might have been for a similar reason, them not being so eager to eat it.

I also had Mini choke on the SS regular otherwise I'd switch back to that but I don't feel I can risk it. The shape seems to be easy for them to choke on.

Warren Veteran

Hi Omi, thank you.

I used to feed Fibafirst, I'm trying to remember why I stopped, I think it might have been for a similar reason, them not being so eager to eat it.

I also had Mini choke on the SS regular otherwise I'd switch back to that but I don't feel I can risk it. The shape seems to be easy for them to choke on.
    Yes, I think the shape, but also the individual rabbit. I have often watched mine and they all chew the pellets very carefully and for a long time, before taking another one. However, if I had had a choking episode with any of them, that would persuade me not to feed them.

Yeah unfortunately Smudge isn't like that, he takes them at 100mph

Well, usually!

Warren Veteran

Yeah unfortunately Smudge isn't like that, he takes them at 100mph

Well, usually!
    It would be no good telling him to, "Bite your food up properly!" like you would a child then

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    It would be no good telling him to, "Bite your food up properly!" like you would a child then
    Oh if only!!

Poor loves . I've not been very active on here recently so hadn't realised you had food issues. I have to say that Imogen never had any issues with regular SS pellets, but I understand why they scare you. How about trying them with some coarse grind critical care made up into a very dry 'mash' with a small amount of warm water? I used to feed that to my elderly lady as often as she'd eat it just to get weight onto her.

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES