• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore skin from brushing

dbowes

Warren Scout
Hi,

I gave my jaspy a long overdue brush today. I normally keep on top of it but decided to give him a good brush. I used the ferminator which is obviously too harsh and now his skin looks red raw. He hates being brushed at the best of times so didnt realise i was hurting him. I was being careful but clearly not careful enough and didnt think it would actually hurt him. I wont use it ever again!!!

What can I do? Anything? I can take him to the vets tomorrow.

He seems fine ive been spoiling him!

Hi,

I gave my jaspy a long overdue brush today. I normally keep on top of it but decided to give him a good brush. I used the ferminator which is obviously too harsh and now his skin looks red raw. He hates being brushed at the best of times so didnt realise i was hurting him. I was being careful but clearly not careful enough and didnt think it would actually hurt him. I wont use it ever again!!!

I should keep an eye on him. It's easily done - their skin is very sensitive and can rip easily (especially underneath). Unless there's any open sores, I would just make sure it settles down.

Vibes for young jaspy x

Well its red raw. No actually blood but blood red in spots. Not a mistake ill make again. You can be too gentle and not really get anywhere but obviously over did it.

Thanks for replying, i know its late

Well its red raw. No actually blood but blood red in spots. Not a mistake ill make again. You can be too gentle and not really get anywhere but obviously over did it.

Thanks for replying, i know its late

That's OK.

Don't let him sit by a heat source (if indoors) as it may be painful when skin is sore. It may take a few days to calm down. Anything you put all over the fur, he will try and lick off and it's such a large area. Keep him cool and make sure there's nothing abrasive in his environment.

Thanks ive had another look with my phone flash. I've took a lot of the underneath hair off and a lot of what I thought was pink and sore is actually just skin. There are patches that look really red though, like a really bad shaving rash. The skin in only broken in tiny speckles so i think he'll be ok. He's a house rabbit and there's nothing abrasive. Its the bony but at the top of his backside so luckily the bit he cant really reach very well. Think ill just keep an eye on him. I gently stroked him over the area and he didnt react and still accepting food so i'll make a decision in the morning. I remember when he was young he made his own skin sore by over grooming and I got some fucidin cream which was anti-bactierial i think so the vet may prescribe that. If at any point it looks anything but healing well over the next few days I'll take him in straight away

I know people are struggling with a lot worse but feel so guilty that I did it to him. Feel even worse now as he still came over and licked my nose :(

Thanks again

Thanks ive had another look with my phone flash. I've took a lot of the underneath hair off and a lot of what I thought was pink and sore is actually just skin. There are patches that look really red though, like a really bad shaving rash. The skin in only broken in tiny speckles so i think he'll be ok. He's a house rabbit and there's nothing abrasive. Its the bony but at the top of his backside so luckily the bit he cant really reach very well. Think ill just keep an eye on him. I gently stroked him over the area and he didnt react and still accepting food so i'll make a decision in the morning. I remember when he was young he made his own skin sore by over grooming and I got some fucidin cream which was anti-bactierial i think so the vet may prescribe that. If at any point it looks anything but healing well over the next few days I'll take him in straight away

I know people are struggling with a lot worse but feel so guilty that I did it to him. Feel even worse now as he still came over and licked my nose :(

Thanks again

It doesn't matter what others are struggling with - your bun is important :)

I've had to mess about with one of mine who's very sick at the moment. He's got so much wrong with him and really hates me having to do all the stuff to him. But then I did some yoga stretches and he made his way over to me and licked my feet :love:

It seems like he has forgiven you so now you have to forgive yourself. Having matted fur would not be healthy for him so you were trying to help him to avoid that pitfall.
You may want to give a call to the vet to see if they can recommend anything for shaving burns.
I often wondered if a furminator would be good for a bunny, so as a result of your mishap, I now know not to get one.

Hi,

Personally I would take him to the Vet. Please see this thread :

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...TOR-users-U-D-19-10-2012&highlight=furminator

Back