• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Extremely Aggresive bunny; Help?!?!?!

julietct

New Kit
I need desperate help.

I have a netherland dwarf bunny that I purchased from a local pet store almost a year ago. Addie (bunny) has progressively gotten more and more aggressive over the course of the year. At first it started with just a few grunts when she did not feel like being picked up. This turned into running at me when I put down food for her in the morning. It has steadily gotten worse where I throw the food down into her bowl as fast as possible to avoid my hand getting caught in her mouth. She has happy moments during her play time where she will hop and run around my room. But sometimes she gets very grumpy during this play time and I can barely get across my room without her chasing me and grunting. The other day she actually bit me when I was putting new hay into her hay bin. I do not know what to do or how to handle this situation. I just want her to be calm and nice. She gets several hours of playtime every day and lots of treats but not too many. I cannot even hand feed her treats because I am fearful that she will bite me.

I would understand if this behavior was once of month as part of just having a bad day. But this is now an every day occurrence. I am very frustrated. I do not want to give up on my bunny, but I do not have the time to figure out every morning if she is in a bad mood just to see if I can give her a loving pad.

I have herd adding another bunny would help her but I do not have the room for two bunnies in my apartment. They would not have enough space to stay in a pen together while I am at work.

Suggestions?!?!?! Please help!

Last edited:
She is hormonal and needs to be spayed, which should calm things down. Also, what sort of accommodation does she have - iie you mention that she has several hours of playtime, but where is she for the rest of the time.
Most rabbits are happier if they have a neutered companion of the opposite sex, but spaying her is the first step. Do you have a vet experienced with rabbits?

Thanks for your reply!

She has a huge pen with lots of things to hop on and through while I am at work during the day. Which includes toys to throw and pull on. Usually as soon as I get home I let her out for the rest of the day, unless if I need to leave to run an errand.

I am worried about getting her spayed because she is so small. I tried once before but the vet said she was too small for the procedure. I am also worried that even if I do have the surgery done it will not work.

I also have also considered getting her a companion but I just do not have the room for another bunny. The pen would have to be twice the size so that there was enough room for both of them.

I think it is hormonal, if you can find a rabbit savvy vet to spay her then I am sure you would see a vast improvement in her behaviour, and it would also prevent cancer of the womb which is sadly very common.

How big is her pen?

I think it is hormonal, if you can find a rabbit savvy vet to spay her then I am sure you would see a vast improvement in her behaviour, and it would also prevent cancer of the womb which is sadly very common.

How big is her pen?

Her pen in fairly large. At least 4 by 3. Which may not seem big by the numbers but it is two stories.

Her pen in fairly large. At least 4 by 3. Which may not seem big by the numbers but it is two stories.

I would give her more space, you can get puppy pens cheaply. If you have a double height base of (4x3 (ft) I'm assuming) then that is at best 24sqft, as you loose some with a ramp. The rwaf recommended minimum space is 60sqft

That should improve territorial aggression :thumb:

People often don't realise just how much space is needed for a rabbit (they need to be able to exercise whenever they want) - see Zoobec's post. There are lots of good ideas in the Housing section showing how people have made indoor cages/runs for their rabbits. Unfortunately, petshops aren't good at giving out the best advice - they are in the business of selling stuff and often cages are labelled as suitable for rabbits when they are much too small.

Great advice here from Zoobec and Babsie :) are you in the U.K.? If so, if you tell us where abouts, someone could recommend a good rabbit vet for spaying her - even if she is small, an experienced rabbit vet should have no problems :wave:

Great advice here from Zoobec and Babsie :) are you in the U.K.? If so, if you tell us where abouts, someone could recommend a good rabbit vet for spaying her - even if she is small, an experienced rabbit vet should have no problems :wave:

Great advice!

As said before, I too think it's hormonal, at least this is how two of my does react to any other does than their cohabitants.
Imho, in some rabbits instincts are very strong, and the urge getting bred - and they can get really grumpy and frustrated not doing what rabbits have evolved to excel in.
More space is a good thing, most time, but mine have 200m² garden to roam but attack instantly when the wrong rabbits are out together.

It may subside for some times, but the worst of mine is 5 years old, so spaying would be my advice too. Try more space first anyway.

I agree with the advice that you've been given here regarding spaying and accommodation size. I just wanted to add that I have just seen my vet with one of my rabbits and she was telling me that she had successfully performed a dental on a tiny 12 year old Nethie this morning under GA. Anaesthetic for rabbits is not the risk that it once was especially with a rabbit savvy vet. Good advice to ask for recommendations in your area.

My rabbit is the same. She went to get spayed and was also too small although she is a dutch. She cant be spayed at the mo as she has 2 week old babies. She has a hutch and run combo plus free range time once or twice a day. I have to chuck food in because she growls and goes for me (did this before babies came too). I used to have a separate hutch and run but had to change because when i went to get her out the run to put her back she would go for me. Sometimes while out she will flop next to me for a love but she hates me mostly. If there is food about she will ump at you lunging and growling, even human food. She has been a good mother though which has astounded all of us.

If spaying isn't an option, or until that can happen, you need to manage the behaviour by avoiding situations that trigger the aggression. Also try to avoid rewarding the behaviour e.g. providing food faster or moving out the way if they growl/lunge.

So, for example, you might use food to encourage a bun into a carrier where you can leave them safely whilst cleaning the hutch so there isn't an opportunity for biting/growling at you whilst you clean.

More tips here: http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-aggressive-rabbit.asp

Back