• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unhappy Bunny

EnglishLop

New Kit
have a problem with a couple of our rescue rabbits... *please see introduction for info*

unfortunately we have had to seperate them, and the little albino one is swayin his head alot, we have put the guniea pig in with him but at the moment we have to keep the rabbits seperate...

they will be neutered but what can we do till then? its really horrible seeing him in the run rockin... :(

but im also worried about the other rabbit gettin lonely, now the guinea pig is with the other...

any advise?!

Guineapigs and bunnies don't make the best matches as they have different dietary needs and 'speak' different languages.

I think several members use teddies for the lonely buns until they get paired up so they have something to snuggle up to.If possible you could be the cages/hutches next to each other so they can see/smell each other even if they can't meet.

Neutering can be done at 16 weeks for boys and 6 months for girls.

This page explains with abit more detail about the head swaying - http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/health/eye_scanning.html

Tam

Bunny swinging head

One of my rabbits sways a bit in her cage and she mainly does it when she is sleeping sat up or when she is trying to sit really still.

If the swaying is really worrying you, ask a vet to have a look for you.

It may be nerves and all the bunny needs is some time to get to trust you.

Have you tried some confidence building with them?

yeh i sit in with them for a couple of hours each day... not doing anything just being there... also give them a cuddle but the albino isn't very will...

teddies sound like a good idea! got plenty of them.. the albino did follow the other rabbit around alot... but obviously because we havent managed to sex them both we cant afford to keep them together... so i guess he might want something bigger to cuddle to...

plans are being made to create a bigger run and to provide heatin for them during the winter... as we do for radar...

thanks for the help guys its much appreciated! it really is :)

Swaying bunny

I don't know if you are a big book reader, but what I do with one of mine when I can is sit in the garden on the grass (take a sheet or something to sit on!) and let her run round the grass while I sit and read my book.

Or have her running round the back 2 rooms of the house and sit out there reading and I let her come to me when she wants...though I think she's realised I have ticklish feet as she only tries to touch them when I have nothing on my feet! :p

Sweeper is a lot better now and will actually sometimes come running to me when I call her and is slightly more confident.

Give her time and she'll be a lot happier. It's prob. just a confidence thing where her previous owner hardly handled her or spent time with her.

Back