• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits eat Pusley?

William

Wise Old Thumper
I've got what I think is Florida Pusley and I was wondering if it is if rabbits can eat it? I know it's human edible.

Oh I didn't know purslane was the same thing! Hmm. This is what I know as purslane (sorry for the size - they're off google). We have this as a native weed too. Portulaca oleracea is the scientific name I think.

purslane-weed.jpg

And this is the Florida pusley (Richardia scabra L.)

1120232.jpg

Yes sorry William, I just looked up Pusley again , but it seems there are several different types. Pusley seems to be an alternative name for Purslane. Florida Pusley seems to be an annual, native just to Florida (there's a surprise!), whereas Purslane is a perennial. But they are sometimes found growing together! Checking the scientific names they belong to different families as you have rightly pointed out.

I imagine the only way you will get a definitive answer on whether it is rabbit safe, is to find information from a local source.

Reminds me once again that it's always safer to use the scientific name.

Back