Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Hyoid calcification

  1. #1
    Wise Old Thumper yvette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Devon,England
    Posts
    19,485

    Default Hyoid calcification

    My 3 year old French is has been listless and down. Took him to vets. Dental, xrays and bloods taken.
    Dental fine.
    But x-ray shows slight thickening of an inner ear, poss abscess and also calcification of hyoid bone.
    Cheyne still not doing much. I googled. Wish I hadn't.
    Has anyone any experience of this please?

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    145,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yvette View Post
    My 3 year old French is has been listless and down. Took him to vets. Dental, xrays and bloods taken.
    Dental fine.
    But x-ray shows slight thickening of an inner ear, poss abscess and also calcification of hyoid bone.
    Cheyne still not doing much. I googled. Wish I hadn't.
    Has anyone any experience of this please?
    I have had a few Rabbits with middle ear abscesses. All were Lops. What treatment is the Vet proposing ? I wont post any links to references as it sounds as though you have already scared yourself by doing your own search. I hope Cheyne will be feeling more comfortable soon x
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    44,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yvette View Post
    My 3 year old French is has been listless and down. Took him to vets. Dental, xrays and bloods taken.
    Dental fine.
    But x-ray shows slight thickening of an inner ear, poss abscess and also calcification of hyoid bone.
    Cheyne still not doing much. I googled. Wish I hadn't.
    Has anyone any experience of this please?

    Yes I have. How is the vet proposing to treat?

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper yvette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Devon,England
    Posts
    19,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Yes I have. How is the vet proposing to treat?
    He wants a urine sample first. Raised enzymes...low red cells...high calcium.
    He said Cheyne has chronic kidney disease but it will be manageable. Seeing him next week with sample.
    How do I get a sample??

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    44,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yvette View Post
    He wants a urine sample first. Raised enzymes...low red cells...high calcium.
    He said Cheyne has chronic kidney disease but it will be manageable. Seeing him next week with sample.
    How do I get a sample??

    My vet always expresses a sample from my rabbit's bladder. No way do I ever collect one!

    It can be done by Cystocentesis:

    http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00M...sis_Rabbit.htm

    But I've never allowed that as it's invasive and can be risky.

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper yvette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Devon,England
    Posts
    19,485

    Default

    I'm going to get it by caging him alone and a litter tray. I'm keen to get Cheyne on some treatment. What do you think the vet is going to do??

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    44,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yvette View Post
    I'm going to get it by caging him alone and a litter tray. I'm keen to get Cheyne on some treatment. What do you think the vet is going to do??

    Has the vet not explained to you?

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    145,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yvette View Post
    He wants a urine sample first. Raised enzymes...low red cells...high calcium.
    He said Cheyne has chronic kidney disease but it will be manageable. Seeing him next week with sample.
    How do I get a sample??
    There is certainly treatment which can help manage chronic Kidney disease. Are you still with 'you know who' Vet ? If so you can at least rest assured that Cheyne is in good hands. If you are struggling to get a wee sample then you may need to take Cheyne back in to the Vet who could palpate his bladder and if it is full and not painful he could express it.

    Try not to think too far ahead at the moment with regards to a diagnosis. Easier said than done I know xx
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper yvette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Devon,England
    Posts
    19,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Has the vet not explained to you?
    No he hasn't. Not yet

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper yvette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Devon,England
    Posts
    19,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    There is certainly treatment which can help manage chronic Kidney disease. Are you still with 'you know who' Vet ? If so you can at least rest assured that Cheyne is in good hands. If you are struggling to get a wee sample then you may need to take Cheyne back in to the Vet who could palpate his bladder and if it is full and not painful he could express it.

    Try not to think too far ahead at the moment with regards to a diagnosis. Easier said than done I know xx
    Hi Jane. Thanks for the reply.
    I'm no longer with Ian...he went up country. Although he is back now, he's in Dawlish..a bit further than I'd like to travel. We are in touch still though.
    I see a chap called Richard Hazard now in Plymouth. Very good. Keeps African greys..of which I have 2 now lol..plus 2 other birds. Crazy house lol. I also got engaged a few weeks ago so I have my delicious, animal loving fiancee too.
    Anyway, I digress.
    Richard has diagnosed chronic kidney disease but it's all up on the air for a bit. Cheyne is responding well to pain relief and eating better too, although still quieter than normal.
    Shouldn't Google but I did and got myself all het up...
    So what can be done for my boy please Jane.
    Last edited by yvette; 03-06-2017 at 01:22 PM. Reason: To add ....

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •