• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hyoid calcification

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
My 3 year old French is has been listless and down. Took him to vets. Dental, xrays and bloods taken.
Dental fine.
But x-ray shows slight thickening of an inner ear, poss abscess and also calcification of hyoid bone.
Cheyne still not doing much. I googled. Wish I hadn't.
Has anyone any experience of this please?

My 3 year old French is has been listless and down. Took him to vets. Dental, xrays and bloods taken.
Dental fine.
But x-ray shows slight thickening of an inner ear, poss abscess and also calcification of hyoid bone.

I have had a few Rabbits with middle ear abscesses. All were Lops. What treatment is the Vet proposing ? I wont post any links to references as it sounds as though you have already scared yourself by doing your own search. I hope Cheyne will be feeling more comfortable soon x

Dental fine.

Yes I have. How is the vet proposing to treat?

Yes I have. How is the vet proposing to treat?

He wants a urine sample first. Raised enzymes...low red cells...high calcium.
He said Cheyne has chronic kidney disease but it will be manageable. Seeing him next week with sample.
How do I get a sample??

He said Cheyne has chronic kidney disease but it will be manageable. Seeing him next week with sample.
How do I get a sample??

My vet always expresses a sample from my rabbit's bladder. No way do I ever collect one!

It can be done by Cystocentesis:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...div_TechniquesRabbit/Cystocentesis_Rabbit.htm

But I've never allowed that as it's invasive and can be risky.

I'm going to get it by caging him alone and a litter tray. I'm keen to get Cheyne on some treatment. What do you think the vet is going to do??

How do I get a sample??

There is certainly treatment which can help manage chronic Kidney disease. Are you still with 'you know who' Vet ? ;) If so you can at least rest assured that Cheyne is in good hands. If you are struggling to get a wee sample then you may need to take Cheyne back in to the Vet who could palpate his bladder and if it is full and not painful he could express it.

Try not to think too far ahead at the moment with regards to a diagnosis. Easier said than done I know xx

There is certainly treatment which can help manage chronic Kidney disease. Are you still with 'you know who' Vet ? ;) If so you can at least rest assured that Cheyne is in good hands. If you are struggling to get a wee sample then you may need to take Cheyne back in to the Vet who could palpate his bladder and if it is full and not painful he could express it.

Try not to think too far ahead at the moment with regards to a diagnosis. Easier said than done I know xx

Hi Jane. Thanks for the reply.
I'm no longer with Ian...he went up country. Although he is back now, he's in Dawlish..a bit further than I'd like to travel. We are in touch still though.
I see a chap called Richard Hazard now in Plymouth. Very good. Keeps African greys..of which I have 2 now lol..plus 2 other birds. Crazy house lol. I also got engaged a few weeks ago so I have my delicious, animal loving fiancee too.
Anyway, I digress.
Richard has diagnosed chronic kidney disease but it's all up on the air for a bit. Cheyne is responding well to pain relief and eating better too, although still quieter than normal.
Shouldn't Google but I did and got myself all het up...
So what can be done for my boy please Jane.

Last edited:
I'm no longer with Ian...he went up country. Although he is back now, he's in Dawlish..a bit further than I'd like to travel. We are in touch still though.
I see a chap called Richard Hazard now in Plymouth. Very good. Keeps African greys..of which I have 2 now lol..plus 2 other birds. Crazy house lol. I also got engaged a few weeks ago so I have my delicious, animal loving fiancee too.
Anyway, I digress.
Richard has diagnosed chronic kidney disease but it's all up on the air for a bit. Cheyne is responding well to pain relief and eating better too, although still quieter than normal.

I heard that you had got engaged, congrats !! :love: He's a lucky chap to have found you. Hopefully the AGs will keep him in order :lol:

With chronic renal failure usually a drug called Benazepril hydrochloride, eg Fortekor, is prescribed

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-462288

In some cases an anabolic steroid may be given. These can stimulate the appetite, reduce uraemia, help with the retention of electrolytes and also slow the rate of muscle catabolism (muscle wastage).

Sometimes a potassium supplement may be needed if blood test results show a low Potassium level. If the Rabbit is anaemic then Erythropoietin could be useful. Erythropoietin is glycoprotein hormone that controls the production of red blood cells.

Some dietary modification is also necessary- ie moderating calcium intake, restrict phosphate intake (no carrots, tomatoes or banana) and optimum fluid intake (lots of fresh veg/herbs)

It may eventually become necessary to give fluid therapy, preferably IV.

Usually NSAIDs such as Metacam should be avoided

All of the above will not 'cure' the Rabbit, but it can certainly buy them more quality time. Also, as long as the Rabbit feels OK within themselves then they are blissfully unaware of their problems. Unfortunately it is the care giver who has to do all the worrying. I hope that your Vet will be able to get Cheyne onto some treatment soon and that he will start to feel brighter xx

Anyway, I digress.

With chronic renal failure my rabbits have been treated successfully with Fortekor and Erythropoietin

They have also had supplemental fluids, which I've administered at home.

Im glad the pain relief is helping her but sorry that you are having to deal with possible renal disease. {{{Cheyne}}}
Is it only head xrays that have been taken so far?

4 months ago my boy was diagnosed with CKF and 2 weeks ago I helped him along with my lovely vet Ian, to go to the Bridge.
To say I am heartbroken is an understatement.

4 months ago my boy was diagnosed with CKF and 2 weeks ago I helped him along with my lovely vet Ian, to go to the Bridge.
To say I am heartbroken is an understatement.

I did not want to post about your tragic loss on here until you felt able to Yvette. When you told me of his passing I was so sad for you as I know how much he means to you. I use the present tense because the love you had for him in life will not diminish now that his physical form has moved on.

(((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))) xx

Back