• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hair in poop.

WolfLover456

Young Bun
How many times is it necessary to brush a mini-rex? I'm unsure whether or not he's a long-haired or a short-haired rabbit, nonetheless, I brush him ( thankfully he finally loves it--treating it the same as I pet him--I have done so at least 5+ times each day ), for awhile now, he's been shedding a whole lot and I've noticed hair stringing in his poop, it's like once in a while or a few times, not all of them are strung together, some are normal, some are attached to each other by hair. Knowing my anxious and overthinking nature, I'm concerned. But I've read on similar posts that if it's getting out it's good. He's eating normally, I give him lots of hay, as it helps pass it through too, drinking normally, and reacting to me just fine. I encourage him to get out, as lately, I've allowed him to free-roam whenever no one's in the living room or at least out of his way as long as I make sure he doesn't eat the carpet, especially my baby brother for I don't want him to chase after him and scare him. Binkying both in and out of the free-roam. Again, ever since he's fixed, he's allowed to be out 24/7.

Does all the running around also help pass the hair through? I'm also considering of asking my mom to get pineapples to help as well, but I don't know if he'll take it, I've tried with any other fruit in treat purposes and he looks at it as if it's disgusting, I assure I make sure it's something he's allowed to eat, so it's pretty much just him being picky and not wanting him to hate me unless he's absolutely refusing to eat. I have both a soft-bristle brush and a hard-wire brush ( like one used for rabbits that are likely to have tangles I think? It came with the grooming kit I brought a while back because I needed a new brush and new nail clippers. ) I use the soft one mainly as I think the wire one isn't for his hair-type. I also tried the watering my hands a little and petting him that way, he didn't seem to mind and hoped I got the majority of shedding fur, even though I do all of this, he still licks himself--not that I have a problem with it, I'm merely trying to reduce the amount of hair he's ingested. Anything else that could help? Am I doing okay? Is he okay as long as it's getting through?

You're doing fine. Its coming out which is the main thing. Encourage lots of hay, brambles are good too. One of my girls regularly does hairy poos, they reduce when I brush her lots but I can never stop it completely. I wouldn't bother with pineapple - contrary to popular belief the enzymes don't breakdown hair

You're doing fine. Its coming out which is the main thing. Encourage lots of hay, brambles are good too. One of my girls regularly does hairy poos, they reduce when I brush her lots but I can never stop it completely. I wouldn't bother with pineapple - contrary to popular belief the enzymes don't breakdown hair
This

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

No they don't, but they *do* break down the mucous that surrounds the hair, and thus enabling it to pass easily :)

How many times is it necessary to brush a mini-rex? I'm unsure whether or not he's a long-haired or a short-haired rabbit, nonetheless, I brush him ( thankfully he finally loves it--treating it the same as I pet him--I have done so at least 5+ times each day ), for awhile now, he's been shedding a whole lot and I've noticed hair stringing in his poop, it's like once in a while or a few times, not all of them are strung together, some are normal, some are attached to each other by hair. Knowing my anxious and overthinking nature, I'm concerned. But I've read on similar posts that if it's getting out it's good. He's eating normally, I give him lots of hay, as it helps pass it through too, drinking normally, and reacting to me just fine. I encourage him to get out, as lately, I've allowed him to free-roam whenever no one's in the living room or at least out of his way as long as I make sure he doesn't eat the carpet, especially my baby brother for I don't want him to chase after him and scare him. Binkying both in and out of the free-roam. Again, ever since he's fixed, he's allowed to be out 24/7.

Does all the running around also help pass the hair through? I'm also considering of asking my mom to get pineapples to help as well, but I don't know if he'll take it, I've tried with any other fruit in treat purposes and he looks at it as if it's disgusting, I assure I make sure it's something he's allowed to eat, so it's pretty much just him being picky and not wanting him to hate me unless he's absolutely refusing to eat. I have both a soft-bristle brush and a hard-wire brush ( like one used for rabbits that are likely to have tangles I think? It came with the grooming kit I brought a while back because I needed a new brush and new nail clippers. ) I use the soft one mainly as I think the wire one isn't for his hair-type. I also tried the watering my hands a little and petting him that way, he didn't seem to mind and hoped I got the majority of shedding fur, even though I do all of this, he still licks himself--not that I have a problem with it, I'm merely trying to reduce the amount of hair he's ingested. Anything else that could help? Am I doing okay? Is he okay as long as it's getting through?

Fibre and fluid. So grass is ideal. Wet leafy greens etc ...

Hair is usually dealt with OK by the rabbit :)

Yeah, same here, no matter how many times I brush him or remove the loose hair, it never seems to stop. :lol: But thank you, he has a refill of hay everyday so surely he's getting enough in his diet! His overall behavior is just fine and normal too.

Fibre and fluid. So grass is ideal. Wet leafy greens etc ...

Hair is usually dealt with OK by the rabbit :)

He gets unlimited hay which serves as a replacement for grass for I am unaware whether or not our grass is pesticides. So far regarding vegetables, he only likes carrots. :lol: I'm just here hoping he's just fine. :) Both of my rabbits sheds like crazy, though I can't remember if my last rabbit had the similar issue, no much how she shed, she was still fine.

Back