• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Accidental babies hutch with ramp, please help!!

bunnymum77

New Kit
My rabbit had babies which are coming up to a week old now. This was unplanned, she broke out of her run while our male was in the garden, we were keeping them seperate until neutering so we could bond them. We hoped for the best as when we found out the female had ran upstairs and the male was still in the garden so we thought they had maybe missed each other....4 weeks alter 6 little babies. Mum has made a nest in a tray in the sleeping compartment (usually her litter tray but she is toileting next to it now).
There is a ramp connecting to a run underneath which we open in the mrning so she can come and go. she is shut into hutch part at night. I am worried about the babies when they start exploring falling down the ramp. Has anybody any advice? I dont want to shut her in with the babies24/7 as she likes her freedom and will get no peace from them and im worried this could make her hurt them. But i cant continue to leave things as they are when babies are mobile. I cant shut the flap when she is in the run as she wont be able to get to her babies, plus will expect it to be open and will crash her head.
Can i move the babes to the run with her during the day and take the ramp off or will this stress her out too much? Alternative the male rabbit is in a shed and i could swap them over but im worried moving her and babies will stress her out, plus it will have his smell. If i put a partition up to keep babies in the nest she wont have enough clearance space to go up and down the ramp if that makes sense? She is not very tame but is proving to be a good little mother. Any ideas???

My neighbour had kits in a hutch with a ramp to a run. They were fine and went up and down quite easily. How about putting hay around the run at the bottom in case they fall out, they'd have a soft landing. Once the babies start moving, they'll be quite mobile and should be able to manage it. I personally would leave them be and just keep checking to make sure no babies get stuck at the bottom. However, some people may have more experience than me. I've had 2 lots of kits but both were in single storey hutches at the beginning.

Thank you. This morning 2 were out the nest and in the main hutch bit, mum had made a little nest around them and they were curled up together asleep and warm. I put them with the others. I let mum onto the run and shut ramp so the babies couldn't fall down, was a bit worried she would bump her he's if she tried to get up it but its a flap so I'm hoping it will just open when she pushes against it. I'm just worried the babies will fall down the hole the ramp is quite steep. Will mum be ok shut away from her babies do u think? If we go out I put her in hutch and close off the run, will this make her angry so she will turn on the babies? Sorry so many questions I really dud not want babies and its stressing me out so much!!!

Could you DIY some wood around the 'hole' so that mother bunny can hop over but babies can't? As they get older and more curious you'll need to sort something else out. When my doe had babies I used to put her in a separate run through the day but ocassionally popper her back in her hutch, do you know when mum tends to feed the babies? Once the babies were fully furred and a lot more active I used to put them in the run with mum

I cant as the hole is just big enough for mum to get in. I could block it off but she couldn't get in, she doesn't seem to check on them in the day so I think they are fed at night or early morning. I was wondering about putting them in the run with mum, the ramp is steep so they couldn't climb it but it means mum van go up the ramp to have space from them. I was just worried she might be angry if the babies have been moved? They are still in the nest and 10 days old now. We gave handled them but only when she can't see. As an aside I dont understand why anyone would breed on purpose!! This has been one of the most stressful times of my life and I'm counting down to the babies leaving having grown up safely and everything getting back to normal!!

I'm not very experienced with this but wanted to say well done. Even to get them this far is great in your part! Want to bump thisup for your last question

And thank you Lucy! I hope I'm doing ok, I was advised to get an emergency spay after their little rendez vous but couldn't bring myself to do it! Stressing over finding homes for them but one step at a time lol x

I would think that moving them over to the shed is the best idea that way they will have plenty of space as they begin to come out of the nest and explore.

Good luck with them all.

Yes I agree with tulsi. I think moving them would be fine, I moved mine (rescue bun, had 8 babies a week later yikes), once they started moving around into a bigger place and they were fine. I moved the whole nest so took the hay they'd been in and the mother didn't reject them. Sounds the best solution.

Yes, my daughter has some on her phone so when she comes in i will put some on! Will Mum rabbit be ok smelling the male in the shed? I will obviously clean it but worried i might miss a bit etc. The only thing is my dozy minilop (dad) cant seem to master the ramp in the hutch combo lol, but will try if everyone thinks this is a good idea. Plus in the shed there is a mini hutch Mum can climb on to get away from demanding babies!! Eyes are open now, they are sooo sweet. One was out the nest this morning and as i was putting it back Mum came in, she is a bit (very) tempremental so i was worried but she just licked the baby and went back to her parsley. I am so attached to the babies, didn't think i would be as i knew from the start i couldn't keep any.

Sounds like mum and babies are doing great. I think cleaning it the best you can should be fine. If your worried you can use a white vinegar and water solution as it gets rid of urine scents very well. I just puts a mix in a spray bottle, wipe round and let it dry. It stinks! But works.

As for the ramp mayve he finds it doesn't have enough grip? Some rabbits are funny like that. I put bits of carpet down it with some small but of glue underneath.

Sorry for spelling my fingers keep missing the right keys on phone! Also some rabbits take longer with Ramps. My bit Charlie couldn't get the hang of stairs for awhile but got there in the end

Thank you (cant figure out how to put pics on). I have been letting mum in downstairs run bit and shutting off the ramp. She doesn't try to go up it but we have a little routine in the evening when i rustle her food and put it upstairs and then open the ramp and she comes up. Think shed is the better option though. Was going to do it today but its raining so will see later. On a good note my lovely neighbour is probably going to take 2. Her and her lovely teenage son have chosen 2 and come over everyday to handle them so they will have a smooth transition into their new home. We don't know the sex yet but she is going to neuter them anyway. I havebeen able to give her loads of information etc and will be able to see the babies all the time which is great. Still have 4 to rehome though. They are lovely, we bring them in everyday for cuddles and they are so snuggly! I really really want to keep one but just cant figure out where to put him/her. I am going to bond mum and dad so will have a shed spare but that means a bunny living on its own and more expense re neutering (although im guessing a lone male wouldn't really need neutering?). I could divide the shed potentially which would leave 2 sections 5 foot by 3. I have a 4 by 4 run which i use for the guineas so could [potentially put that in the shed with a baby in it wouldnt take away floor space as daddy bun could use the top of it if that makes sense?. Also if i bond mum and dad and let baby out would it irritate or stress the two bonded buns (they would not be in contact without mesh obviously). Also would a lone rabbit be ok as long as they could interact with other rabbits? Im being selfish though arent I? But i bet the people i rehome to would probably ust have a single rabbit anyway as most people seem to do. I could not keep more than 1 as could not afford injections etc for that many.

Why don't you have a trio? Keep one baby and rebond both Mum and baby with Dad? I wouldn't keep one on its own unless its a house bunny maybe?

I have four rabbits living happily together (two brothers from a local pet shop and two sisters from a rescue). I think even numbers work well.

Best of luck, it must be lovely having babies.

It is, we love them!! I have had a think and really cant keep one, it wouldn't be fair as cant afford to spay/vaccinate another one. They are over 2 weeks old and starting to move about the hutch. Daddy bun came in when we had them out in the sitting room and they all mobbed him, they must have thought he had milk - he was very confused haha but he is so lovely he wouldn't harm them. Didn't want to take any chances though in case he nipped in irritation so he was taken back out. When i put Mum in her hutch for the night the babies wouldnt leave her alone then the babies started nibbling her parsley, i hope that will be ok? Im worried a bit as mum bun was irritated trying to eat and the babies all pestering her, she was growling a bit. Is this normal and will they settle down into a feeding routine? This is a new thing as they have stayed in the nest until today so she could choose feeding time.Sorry i have no experience with babies.

Back