• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spinach daily

I don't feed spinach daily, but that's in part because for fresh, I feed a more forage-based diet.

I recently asked about calcium in forage and was shown the link which Omi has already kindly supplied. :) (If Calcium in spinach is indeed your concern.)

Maybe not daily

Spinach is quite high in fibre and gas so can cause stomach upsets for rabbits in large amounts. It is perfectly safe to feed in smaller quantities and maybe not daily. Probably around 4 times a week. Veggies should change daily to provide the right amount of vitamins and minerals. Romaine lettuce is great to feed every day and is one of my rabbits favourite vegetables.

I don't, and I wouldn't advise it:

http://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/

Spinach has a high level of oxalic acid. Fed in large quantities, oxalic acid can be toxic. It can cause tingling of the skin, the mouth, and damage to the kidneys over time.

I was going to say that about the oxalic acid. I looked up yesterday if snails could have parsley (I have pet snails) and I read that it's not great for them because of the high level of oxalic, same goes for spinach and rhubarb it said.

So would daily parsley also be an issue for rabbits due to the oxalic acid?

I was going to say that about the oxalic acid. I looked up yesterday if snails could have parsley (I have pet snails) and I read that it's not great for them because of the high level of oxalic, same goes for spinach and rhubarb it said.

So would daily parsley also be an issue for rabbits due to the oxalic acid?

Yes I guess so. I do feed parsley, but not every day by any means. As far as herbs go, coriander and dill are top of my list. They love parsley but get it sparingly :)

Yes I guess so. I do feed parsley, but not every day by any means. As far as herbs go, coriander and dill are top of my list. They love parsley but get it sparingly :)

My "herb" garden sits in front of one of the trio's runs. Currently only has a very sorry looking coriander plant as people can't resist their begging! (And I haven't got round to planting any others... ha.)

My "herb" garden sits in front of one of the trio's runs. Currently only has a very sorry looking coriander plant as people can't resist their begging! (And I haven't got round to planting any others... ha.)

Yup, you have to be tough with these buns! :lol:

OK thank you. I'll give her romaine lettuce every day and perhaps a herb of some kind to keep it interesting does that sound good? It's just her so I don't want to buy a large amount of different things or it will go off before she can eat it

OK thank you. I'll give her romaine lettuce every day and perhaps a herb of some kind to keep it interesting does that sound good? It's just her so I don't want to buy a large amount of different things or it will go off before she can eat it

You could just buy pots of herbs and give her some of those each day instead of veg. Also, you can get dried plantain etc.

Sounds good to me :D

I tend to feed forage almost exclusively, as there's such a variety at the moment

Got these today :)
image_zpsjdyd0xz0.jpeg

Thank you I'm quite pleased with them. I've just got to keep snails and slugs away from them but hopefully this warm weather will help!

Thank you I'm quite pleased with them. I've just got to keep snails and slugs away from them but hopefully this warm weather will help!

Warm weather will help them grow, but I find that slugs and snails are more active in warm weather. The Basil will be the plant most at risk in my experience. They don't seem to like Parsley or Coriander as much. I agree the pots are lovely.

Back