• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Male appears to have Dewlap

Jayniekinns

Young Bun
Hello,

So I have just adopted this lovely lad to become Maisy's Husbun.
I have all his notes from the vets and it says on there that he is male and neutered etc however looking at him he seems to have a dewlap. He was vaccinated in April and there is no mention of him having an lumps or anything but there is clearly something there. I've not tried to touch it yet as I'm letting him settle as he's not long been here after a long car journey and doesn't know me yet.
Maisy is due her vaccinations next month and I was planning to take him along anyway to get registered and checked out.

[
18700342_10156307733389698_7679036413475535835_n.jpg

18671308_10156307733219698_2061746773187901288_n.jpg

Thanks

I'd have it checked once he's settled in.
Some males do have them, but normally they're not too big and are associated with obesity.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'd have it checked once he's settled in.
Some males do have them, but normally they're not too big and are associated with obesity.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I agree with daphnephoebe :D

Some males do have them, but not normally as big as the one here in the photo. I would want it checked out, just to be sure that it's nothing to be concerned about :)

Blue had one as he was extremely overweight, it's shrunk a bit now. I'd definitely have it checked out, I'd also double check the serif the rabbit as so called experts can get things wrong

Tubsy has a dewlap, he is 3 but has been overweight since he was born I think so that' s probably why :lol:

In your photo it's quite big, I would get it checked out, may be a doe x

I'm hoping he's not a doe, I want to put him with Maisy!
She did say he was still humping things and you would hope the vets would know his sex seeing as they castrated him but we shall see.

Thinking about it, if the lump is the to weight, I've notice he hasn't really eaten a great deal since I got him (compare to Maisy but she is very greedy) or at least he hasn't eaten many pellets, but she said his favourite treat was a Ritz cracker, I'm wondering if hes had too many treats if they are fattening to rabbits

Back