• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mimzy rolled yesterday U/D post #25 good outcome :)

Thinking of you today. Im not sure if got time zones right. Was appt today or will be tomorrow? Hoping Mimzy is doing well. xx

I am glad I am not the only one who has trouble keeping up with time zones !

M, thinking of you and your dear little Mr Mimzy :love:

Hi everyone! Sorry for not updating, I had a very long day and it's now almost 3 am here and I wish I could sleep but I'm going to do a quick update. It may be a bit scattered.

Mimzy came through his appointment just fine. He received some baytril for upper respiratory congestion and lung sounds (vet wasn't happy with that) and got his ears cleaned (we wowed him with Mimzy's ear wax plugs) and we'll assess him again in a few weeks to see if his breathing has improved and he could have a dental at that time.

The rolling was deemed unremarkable, but my vet warned me that blocked ears could shorten his lifespan. Of course I know this, but have such a hard time getting the wax out of his ears without him squeaking or getting distressed. With the help of the vet and the attendant we were done in seconds and it was a lot easier on my boy than me doing it alone.
He really did have a lot of gunk in there though and his head was a lot straighter than it has been in a long time once I got him home. Although the stuff is supposed to dry on it's own, he definitely was still shaking his head this evening trying to clear the rest out of his ears.

He got injectible baytril with a vitamin supplement in it to make it taste better, but it has the look and smell of cod liver oil and it's vile. :mrgreen: I feel so bad for Mimzy...although this will clear up his respiratory issues, it's not going to make me very popular with him. :( I think we'd rather have had the tuna flavour. :(

Something I forgot to mention to the vet was his cecals, which seem to get better one week and then are horrible the next. We're in a horrible period right now. While I was cleaning up his enclosure tonight, he had to have passed no less than ten, small, smeary cecals and I don't know if it's due to his teeth being bad or some other issue. He sure started scoffing his hay though after his baytril dose though...probably to get that nasty taste out. :(

My daughter really thought I wouldn't be coming home with him, so she is a bit jaded about the vet's review of his condition. I think it's because she is apprehensive of possibly having to care for him while I am away in Alaska later this summer. Mimzy could well be gone by then, and I think this is her anxiety disorder talking more than anything. I believe if the vet thought it was Mimzy's time he'd have suggested we let him go.

Mimzy's 'down' eye socket appears to be somewhat enlarged but the vet had no explanation for it. He doesn't feel there's any pressure in the eyeball itself. It just seems to be the bone shape that he found odd. Has anyone any thoughts on this? He didn't suggest any course of action so I'm assuming it's not a big deal?

All in all it was a relief to get a good report on him. The vet seemed to think he was in good shape for a 10 1/2 year old bunny and the tech who helped with him actually raised Holland Lops, so she has some good input too.

I want to thank everyone for all the good vibes and thoughts for my little man today. He was well settled when I left him and Fiver to go to bed this evening. I hope we see some improvement in Mimzy's symptoms tomorrow. :)

Okay, I'm just babbling now. Going to grab some kip, goodnight! :love: xxxx

Hi everyone! Sorry for not updating, I had a very long day and it's now almost 3 am here and I wish I could sleep but I'm going to do a quick update. It may be a bit scattered.

Mimzy came through his appointment just fine. He received some baytril for upper respiratory congestion and lung sounds (vet wasn't happy with that) and got his ears cleaned (we wowed him with Mimzy's ear wax plugs) and we'll assess him again in a few weeks to see if his breathing has improved and he could have a dental at that time.

The rolling was deemed unremarkable, but my vet warned me that blocked ears could shorten his lifespan. Of course I know this, but have such a hard time getting the wax out of his ears without him squeaking or getting distressed. With the help of the vet and the attendant we were done in seconds and it was a lot easier on my boy than me doing it alone.
He really did have a lot of gunk in there though and his head was a lot straighter than it has been in a long time once I got him home. Although the stuff is supposed to dry on it's own, he definitely was still shaking his head this evening trying to clear the rest out of his ears.

He got injectible baytril with a vitamin supplement in it to make it taste better, but it has the look and smell of cod liver oil and it's vile. :mrgreen: I feel so bad for Mimzy...although this will clear up his respiratory issues, it's not going to make me very popular with him. :( I think we'd rather have had the tuna flavour. :(

Something I forgot to mention to the vet was his cecals, which seem to get better one week and then are horrible the next. We're in a horrible period right now. While I was cleaning up his enclosure tonight, he had to have passed no less than ten, small, smeary cecals and I don't know if it's due to his teeth being bad or some other issue. He sure started scoffing his hay though after his baytril dose though...probably to get that nasty taste out. :(

My daughter really thought I wouldn't be coming home with him, so she is a bit jaded about the vet's review of his condition. I think it's because she is apprehensive of possibly having to care for him while I am away in Alaska later this summer. Mimzy could well be gone by then, and I think this is her anxiety disorder talking more than anything. I believe if the vet thought it was Mimzy's time he'd have suggested we let him go.

Mimzy's 'down' eye socket appears to be somewhat enlarged but the vet had no explanation for it. He doesn't feel there's any pressure in the eyeball itself. It just seems to be the bone shape that he found odd. Has anyone any thoughts on this? He didn't suggest any course of action so I'm assuming it's not a big deal?

All in all it was a relief to get a good report on him. The vet seemed to think he was in good shape for a 10 1/2 year old bunny and the tech who helped with him actually raised Holland Lops, so she has some good input too.

I want to thank everyone for all the good vibes and thoughts for my little man today. He was well settled when I left him and Fiver to go to bed this evening. I hope we see some improvement in Mimzy's symptoms tomorrow. :)

I am glad that you will be able to have a bit more time with Mimzy. As you know his ear problems and his Respiratory Tract problems are likely to be linked, but I hope that the Baytril might keep the infection under control for a while.

The bulging eye may be infection related (behind the eye) but there are also many other things that can cause the eye to bulge. Did the Vet actually check his IOP ?

Sending lots more vibes for him :love:

Thank you for the update :)

Sleep well :wave:

Very relieved to see this update, Sending more vibes that the baytril will help xx

Back