• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed Insulation advice

Hey guys,

I'm trying to convert my mums shed into a bunny mansion for my 2 babies. I would really like any help/advice anyone can offer.

I'm hoping to get round the shops tomorrow to get supplies. I am on a tight budget and so I've decided to insulate the shed with that silver bubble wrap stuff...but how do people suggest attaching this to the sides and roof? I have a staple gun, but I worry that might go all the way through and make holes for water to get in. Ive also thought about getting ducktape and simply sticking it on, but also worried that in wet months the cold damp from outside might make it peel off. so then I wondered about some kid of glue...but what glue? any suggestions/tips how you have done it would be really appreciated.

Also, do people insulate the door? if so how? as I don't want to make the door not be able to shut.

Thank you for anyone who takes the time to read this, I hope someone has some advise. :)

Betty :wave:

Hi, and welcome to the forum:wave: stapling should be fine so long as you do it to the upright structural timbers. You will need to line the inside with something to stop the rabbits chewing the insulation, you could use plyboard.

Thanks Zoobec, I jst worry about it sagging and making too big of an air pocket on the roof, which will make it pretty useless as insulating.

And yest dont worry I'm going to use Hardboard to line with (shiny side facing into bunnies) as it's cheaper than plywood...I'm on such a budget atm.

And yest dont worry I'm going to use Hardboard to line with (shiny side facing into bunnies) as it's cheaper than plywood...I'm on such a budget atm.
Hardboard's fine until it gets wet, then it warps or, at worst, disintegrates. Being in a damp shed it might warp. So it should be fine for now as long as they don't wee on it or drag water everywhere (mine have a tendency to get overexcitied, end up in their big water bowl and thus water goes everywhere :lol:), but after a wet winter it'll likely have warped. If it's all you can afford now, go for it, but otherwise you really want to consider 6mm ply as it will be more durable in the long run :thumb:

I was going to suggest not using hardboard. It isn't really bunny friendly (due to the glues) and is useless in damp situations - so any wee, condensation, or just cleaning it will cause structural damage. Painting it may extend its life. Cheap, thin ply would be much better - at least around the bottom 3', then extend upwards as you can afford to. Even cardboard boxes might do above that level for now - stapled on to the main timbers to cover the foil.

I found that polystyrene sheets in Wickes were cheaper than the foil bubblewrap when I insulated the wendyhouses.

Have you had a look at local timber merchants and builders' merchants? They are usually much cheaper than B&Q / Wickes, etc.

hey guys, thanks for the advise about hardboard, I hadn't thought about how it would be affected by moisture. I'm picking up 3 massive sheets of 4mm plywood today from Jewsons (surprisingly they were cheaper than B&Q and Homebase etc) I managed to get a offcut of vinyl from B&Q for £24 and also insulated and re roofed the shed over the weekend. just fingers crossed for some dry weather so I can get the outside of the shed painted and then its all ready for the bunnies to move in. :)

I found that polystyrene sheets in Wickes were cheaper than the foil bubblewrap when I insulated the wendyhouses.

Have you had a look at local timber merchants and builders' merchants? They are usually much cheaper than B&Q / Wickes, etc.
Agree on both these counts :)

hey guys, thanks for the advise about hardboard, I hadn't thought about how it would be affected by moisture. I'm picking up 3 massive sheets of 4mm plywood today from Jewsons (surprisingly they were cheaper than B&Q and Homebase etc) I managed to get a offcut of vinyl from B&Q for £24 and also insulated and re roofed the shed over the weekend. just fingers crossed for some dry weather so I can get the outside of the shed painted and then its all ready for the bunnies to move in. :)
Jewsons is a trade merchant so will be cheaper: B&Q and Homebase are designed for the middle class who like to think they're good at decorating: Wickes is like the middle ground ;P </stereotyping hardware stores>

Best of luck!

Back