• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lying down and bloated tummy

Good morning Bebbeb:wave: Glad to see your update and that you got some treatment for Ebony. during the night. I would ring your vet this morning regarding pain relief and some ongoing gut medication for you to give at home if you haven't got these already.

Sending Ebony lots of vibes. It definitely sounds as though taking her to the vet was the right call.

Good morning Bebbeb:wave: Glad to see your update and that you got some treatment for Ebony. during the night. I would ring your vet this morning regarding pain relief and some ongoing gut medication for you to give at home if you haven't got these already.

Sending Ebony lots of vibes. It definitely sounds as though taking her to the vet was the right call.

Agree with this - see your vet today. especially with it being a bank holiday weekend. Gut meds and pain relief can be given orally at home. Gut stasis can take several days to a couple of weeks to completely resolve. Keep going with the meds and oral feeding until everything is fully back to normal ie eating and pooing.

If you run out of Critical Care to feed, you can soak some of your usual pellets. I find covering them with boiling water (in a mug or small tub) and a 20 min soak makes them syringeable. A bit of apple puree (baby food) helps make the syringe run better.

I don't know what the injections were! She said they would hopefully get things moving. One is Metoclopramide and the other is Ranitidine solution. They never mention about giving her fluids, the recovery food is mixed with water so maybe that's why?

UPDATE- Ebony seems a little chirpier, she's a little more defensive now rather than letting me do whatever I want like before.

Glad to hear this Bebbeb :D I was thinking of you and Ebony.

I hope she continues to progress. If she needs a bit of encouragement with the Recovery food, you can mix it with a bit of organic baby food. Mine particularly like Ella's Kitchen bananas and blueberries :D

Good luck xx

Hey everyone,

We went to our vet today and she was given some more medicine that I have to syringe feed her twice daily. There's 2 different ones. The vet today said he could hear movement in her intestines which is positive and Ebony has even nibbled on her own food so hopefully I won't be syringe feeding her for much longer!

Thank you for the tip MightyMax and Shimmer! I'll look for some baby food in the shops next time :)

Will keep updating! xxx

Hey everyone,

We went to our vet today and she was given some more medicine that I have to syringe feed her twice daily. There's 2 different ones. The vet today said he could hear movement in her intestines which is positive and Ebony has even nibbled on her own food so hopefully I won't be syringe feeding her for much longer!

Thank you for the tip MightyMax and Shimmer! I'll look for some baby food in the shops next time :)

Will keep updating! xxx

I always have some in stock! Several varieties, just in case. You know fussy our buns can be :roll:

Hey everyone,

Just to update you all, Ebony is doing well! This morning she finally ate some of her nuggets which is amazing. She's got plenty of energy and has been acting her usual self for a couple days now :)

[good news!!
QUOTE=Bebbeb;6921451]Hey everyone,

Just to update you all, Ebony is doing well! This morning she finally ate some of her nuggets which is amazing. She's got plenty of energy and has been acting her usual self for a couple days now :)[/QUOTE]

Back