• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lying down and bloated tummy

Bebbeb

Young Bun
Hey all,

Ebony seemed to be acting strange, she sprawled out and was breathing quite fast. I figured she was tired or hot and stroked her for a bit then left her be. After 10/ 20 minutes I started to be concerned and tried to see if she was interested in a treat, this led to her getting up and going under the bed into her carry case. I left her again for a while but couldn't stop worrying and moved the carry case to get her out. She Then went back to her original spot only this time she hid in her tent and shuffled away from me. I managed to feel her tummy and it feels bloated, she was fine earlier today, I'd say within the last 40 minutes or so she started acting strange. She's currently back under the bed in the carry case.

She has been eating hay, drinking and had apple earlier today.

I am sorry that Ebony seems to be unwell. Do you know when she last had something to eat and drink? And is she producing normal poo?

I am sorry that Ebony seems to be unwell. Do you know when she last had something to eat and drink? And is she producing normal poo?

She ate a lot of hay around 2 today and she drank around then too. Her poo looks fine and she definitely did some today as there's a new pile in her litter.

The behaviour you have described sounds as though she has a problem with her digestive system, which is causing her some pain.

I think if she is still acting the same and is refusing food, I would consider taking her to an emergency vet.

Sending vibes for her.

The behaviour you have described sounds as though she has a problem with her digestive system, which is causing her some pain.

I think if she is still acting the same and is refusing food, I would consider taking her to an emergency vet.

Sending vibes for her.

How long would you leave it till? I think it's been around an hour now...

It's difficult for me to say as it's not my rabbit and I'm not with her to observe her. I would be taking into consideration whether she has had episodes like this previously and if so, whether they have resolved spontaneously by themselves. Also whether she seems in a lot of pain. A rabbit hiding away is often because of pain. I certainly wouldn't leave it until tomorrow.

Hey all,

Ebony seemed to be acting strange, she sprawled out and was breathing quite fast. I figured she was tired or hot and stroked her for a bit then left her be. After 10/ 20 minutes I started to be concerned and tried to see if she was interested in a treat, this led to her getting up and going under the bed into her carry case. I left her again for a while but couldn't stop worrying and moved the carry case to get her out. She Then went back to her original spot only this time she hid in her tent and shuffled away from me. I managed to feel her tummy and it feels bloated, she was fine earlier today, I'd say within the last 40 minutes or so she started acting strange. She's currently back under the bed in the carry case.

She has been eating hay, drinking and had apple earlier today.

Hi Bebbeb

Sorry to hear about Ebony. What a worry!

Have you an emergency vet you can call, and take her in?

I usually give Infacol and tummy rubs (gentle) straight away, and I can generally get a rabbit over stasis. If you're not confident then I personally wouldn't wait, as doing nothing usually results in nothing much happening with a rabbit's gut.

Good luck - please let us know how she is? xx

It's difficult for me to say as it's not my rabbit and I'm not with her to observe her. I would be taking into consideration whether she has had episodes like this previously and if so, whether they have resolved spontaneously by themselves. Also whether she seems in a lot of pain. A rabbit hiding away is often because of pain. I certainly wouldn't leave it until tomorrow.

Ok. I heard rabbits can have infacol to help with digestion, would you recommend this? would it benefit if I try to massage her for now or would it be best to leave her and just go vets if I am worried? Thank you for reply so quickly

Ok. I heard rabbits can have infacol to help with digestion, would you recommend this? would it benefit if I try to massage her for now or would it be best to leave her and just go vets if I am worried? Thank you for reply so quickly

Well I personally have never used Infacol, but I trust others who say they have used it with good results. I usually manage to get my rabbits over any digestive issues with tummy rubs and persistant offering of food. The problem is knowing whether any specific episode is one which is going to respond quickly and prolonged not eating can cause problems for rabbits. This is why I said earlier you need to know your rabbit.

If I were you and if Ebony has not had issues like this before, I would take her to a vet.

Hi Bebbeb

Sorry to hear about Ebony. What a worry!

Have you an emergency vet you can call, and take her in?

I usually give Infacol and tummy rubs (gentle) straight away, and I can generally get a rabbit over stasis. If you're not confident then I personally wouldn't wait, as doing nothing usually results in nothing much happening with a rabbit's gut.

Good luck - please let us know how she is? xx

Hello again Mightymax!

I just looked up and I think there is a vet near me, I have infacol on hand, would you recommend I try this first?

Well I personally have never used Infacol, but I trust others who say they have used it with good results. I usually manage to get my rabbits over any digestive issues with tummy rubs and persistant offering of food. The problem is knowing whether any specific episode is one which is going to respond quickly and prolonged not eating can cause problems for rabbits. This is why I said earlier you need to know your rabbit.

If I were you and if Ebony has not had issues like this before, I would take her to a vet.

The only time Ebony had something similar to this was after she had an op to remove a lump, the stress affected her and it took her a few days to properly pick back up. That was February. I am highly considering vets.

Hello again Mightymax!

I just looked up and I think there is a vet near me, I have infacol on hand, would you recommend I try this first?

Hi Bebbeb :wave:

I think your idea about the vet is probably really good and sound. Make sure the vet takes the temperature, as that will give some indication of things. Also a blood glucose test. Then you may get some pain relief and gut motility meds to bring home with you.

And you've probably seen these but ...

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://www.bunnylu.org/bloat.php

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

Last edited:
The only time Ebony had something similar to this was after she had an op to remove a lump, the stress affected her and it took her a few days to properly pick back up. That was February. I am highly considering vets.

In your position I think I would take her to a vet. They can do a blood glucose test and also can give you some meds to make her feel more comfortable.

Let us know how she gets on.

UPDATE

Seen vet and they couldn't hear ebony's intestines which implies she was struggling digesting! She was given 2 injections and I have to syringe feed her some recovery food every 4 hours. So It's an all nighter for me! If she doesn't improve I will need to ring my vet in the morning.

Thank you for all the replies, I am grateful to you all <3 xx

UPDATE

Seen vet and they couldn't hear ebony's intestines which implies she was struggling digesting! She was given 2 injections and I have to syringe feed her some recovery food every 4 hours. So It's an all nighter for me! If she doesn't improve I will need to ring my vet in the morning.

Thank you for updating - it's going to be a long night for you and Ebony. But worth it!!

Well done for taking her. You absolutely did the right thing :thumb:

I will be looking forward to my four hourly updates now :)

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!
I've also had great success with Infacol and I've used it a lot for one of my buns because I know what I'm dealing with. However, if my other 3 get poorly I take them straight in!
With it being a bank holiday it might be worth you having a follow up appointment with your usual vets tomorrow (if they are open) and asking for some oral metacam and emeprid to carry on with at home.
Xx

UPDATE

Taking her to the vet was a good call. Sending you and Ebony positive vibes for a quick turnaround. Do you know if pain meds was one of the injections? Also, did she get any fluids? If she is not drinking, you may also want to syringe some fluids too.

Taking her to the vet was a good call. Sending you and Ebony positive vibes for a quick turnaround. Do you know if pain meds was one of the injections? Also, did she get any fluids? If she is not drinking, you may also want to syringe some fluids too.

I don't know what the injections were! She said they would hopefully get things moving. One is Metoclopramide and the other is Ranitidine solution. They never mention about giving her fluids, the recovery food is mixed with water so maybe that's why?

UPDATE- Ebony seems a little chirpier, she's a little more defensive now rather than letting me do whatever I want like before.

Back