• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rose branches with thorns - safe for rabbits to eat?

Sarahbun

Mama Doe
Hello, I've just pruned some branches off our rose bush. It's in our garden and never been treated, as in no pesticides or chemicals of any sort.

Can I give the branches to my rabbits to chew on including the thorns?

Please let me know if you feed rose branches to your buns and how they get on with the thorns.

I've always pushed the thorns off with my thumb, sideways.
No idea if they are sensible enough to avoid them themselves.

I actually leave thorns. They seem to cope with thorns on Roses, Brambles and Hawthorn and I've never seen any signs of wounds to their mouths or feet.

The bunnies don't mind the thorns at all. I object to slicing my fingers open when I'm clearing up afterwards, though, so be careful.

Hello, I've just pruned some branches off our rose bush. It's in our garden and never been treated, as in no pesticides or chemicals of any sort.

Can I give the branches to my rabbits to chew on including the thorns?

Please let me know if you feed rose branches to your buns and how they get on with the thorns.

Absolutely you can :D

I always find it amazing that the tiniest spur can cause a mouth problem, but mouthfuls of thorny roses and brambles don't seem to! :roll:

Absolutely you can :D

I always find it amazing that the tiniest spur can cause a mouth problem, but mouthfuls of thorny roses and brambles don't seem to! :roll:
Haha exactly this! Mine love roses, thorns and all 😊

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mine think the best part is chewing the thorns off! Makes for painful realisations if I kneel in their run around rose pruning time though :lol:

Back