• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boo's been unwell, now Pippin too u/d both home!

weedug

Mama Doe
Sorry to post again when things aren't going well. On Tuesday morning I went out to feed Pippin and Boo. Boo, usually rushing straight for the food and knocking Pippin over, was just sitting there. I got her in and her gut sounded very gassy so I gave her some Infacol and metacam.

Still no improvement in her behaviour a couple of hours later, but the gas seemed to have gone. Couldn't hear any other gut sounds though, but her poos were normal. I took her and Pippin to the vet. They gave her a couple of gut stimulants and told me to syringe feed at home. She had lost 200g since her last weight almost a year ago. Again, she was still passing normal poops. Teeth seemed ok.

No improvement yesterday so I took her back in. She was kept in, without Pippin, and given fluids, more meds, syringe fed, bloods taken (results tomorrow) and urine checked (it was fine).

Pippin started to deteriorate as the day went on, but I don't know if it was stress from chumming Boo to the vet, missing her or getting ill. I took him with me to collect her at closing time. The vet said Boo had done well and was obviously brighter. He checked Pippin over and the only thing that showed was reduced gut sounds and a 200g weight loss.

I have syringe fed them both at home, and given Pippin gut meds last night. Boo is eating better than Pippin, but not as much as usual.

Could it be coincidence them both getting ill? They have been getting some greens out the garden, but they've been getting them for weeks now, and I only pick what I'm 100% sure is ok for them. Also, I don't know whether to take them back in to the vet today or if they would do better with a day of less stress at home. I have all the gut meds, metacam and critical care here. Obviously if they deteriorate I would take them in. I just wondered what others thought? They are both moving around, but not as much as usual.

Last edited:
It can be very stressful to have multiple bunnies ill so I am sending you and your bunnies some extra positive vibes.
I would go to the vet now rather than wait, unless you can call the vet and do a phone consult. It is always better to go to your regular vet than to chance seeing someone else on emergency.

Last edited:
Sorry to post again when things aren't going well. On Tuesday morning I went out to feed Pippin and Boo. Boo, usually rushing straight for the food and knocking Pippin over, was just sitting there. I got her in and her gut sounded very gassy so I gave her some Infacol and metacam.

Still no improvement in her behaviour a couple of hours later, but the gas seemed to have gone. Couldn't hear any other gut sounds though, but her poos were normal. I took her and Pippin to the vet. They gave her a couple of gut stimulants and told me to syringe feed at home. She had lost 200g since her last weight almost a year ago. Again, she was still passing normal poops. Teeth seemed ok.

No improvement yesterday so I took her back in. She was kept in, without Pippin, and given fluids, more meds, syringe fed, bloods taken (results tomorrow) and urine checked (it was fine).

Pippin started to deteriorate as the day went on, but I don't know if it was stress from chumming Boo to the vet, missing her or getting ill. I took him with me to collect her at closing time. The vet said Boo had done well and was obviously brighter. He checked Pippin over and the only thing that showed was reduced gut sounds and a 200g weight loss.

I have syringe fed them both at home, and given Pippin gut meds last night. Boo is eating better than Pippin, but not as much as usual.

Could it be coincidence them both getting ill? They have been getting some greens out the garden, but they've been getting them for weeks now, and I only pick what I'm 100% sure is ok for them. Also, I don't know whether to take them back in to the vet today or if they would do better with a day of less stress at home. I have all the gut meds, metacam and critical care here. Obviously if they deteriorate I would take them in. I just wondered what others thought? They are both moving around, but not as much as usual.

So sorry that I missed this thread yesterday. I have no idea how that happened.

It may just be a coincidence that both Bunnies have become unwell. Is it very hot up in Edinburgh ? It was stifling here yesterday (still is today and it's not even 5am !!). A sudden heatwave can cause problems for Rabbits.

Are they both drinking well ? (Water, not a nice Malt Whisky !!)

How are they both doing today ?

Thank you for the replies. I decided to cancel the appointment yesterday morning in the hope that a stress free day at home would help. They were both eating, but not the usual amount so I topped them up with syringe feeding.

Today they both look much brighter. Both eating but slower than usual. I'm not sure how much they have been drinking. It has been very hot here Jane, although Boo took ill when the weather was very humid. Maybe that might have caused it? They are housed in the coolest part of the garden, but that wouldn't be a help with the awful humidity.

I'm still not sure whether to take them in today. I am totally dreading the thought of taking them to the vet in this heat although I've had the ice packs freezing overnight. It is 18 degrees just now, which is a heatwave for us :lol:, but if they are still unwell then the heat won't help them. It's times like this I wish I had a car and didn't have to rely on taxis.

I really feel my brain getting frazzled beyond use. Mr Bubble is still causing concern, Honey and Bub still need medicated and I had a home visit from the vet during the week to see if Lucky had reached the end of her journey. Thankfully, not quite yet but very soon.

Got the vet for the 2 of them at 3. They're eating not too badly, and pooping but the urine output is very sparse. I would prefer to waste time/money getting them checked out again than leave it.

Got the vet for the 2 of them at 3. They're eating not too badly, and pooping but the urine output is very sparse. I would prefer to waste time/money getting them checked out again than leave it.

Wee output will be less in very hot/humid weather, but I understand that you want to get them checked over by the Vet. Do they have a water bottle to drink from or a bowl ? Rabbits tend to drink more from a bowl.

I am really sorry that several of your Pets are giving you cause for concern. I know that you have so much to cope with on top of caring for poorly pets. I really hope that The two Bunnies get on OK at the Vets this afternoon xx

Wee output will be less in very hot/humid weather, but I understand that you want to get them checked over by the Vet. Do they have a water bottle to drink from or a bowl ? Rabbits tend to drink more from a bowl.

I am really sorry that several of your Pets are giving you cause for concern. I know that you have so much to cope with on top of caring for poorly pets. I really hope that The two Bunnies get on OK at the Vets this afternoon xx

They have a bowl for the water. Thinking on it, they're output has been lower than usual for a wee while now. There's only been tiny splodges in their potty for 24 hours. I am loath to upset them by taking them in again though.

Things have been pretty rough here. I'm hoping that one day life might be fairly stress free again.

They've both been kept in, and will be going back in tomorrow morning first thing. Right now I don't know if they will be coming home for the night or having to go to Edinburgh to the overnight vet.

They have both lost more weight and Boo has minimal gut sounds and Pippin has none. Right now nobody has any idea why they are both ill :(.

They've both been kept in, and will be going back in tomorrow morning first thing. Right now I don't know if they will be coming home for the night or having to go to Edinburgh to the overnight vet.

They have both lost more weight and Boo has minimal gut sounds and Pippin has none. Right now nobody has any idea why they are both ill :(.

Oh no, I am sorry to hear this :cry: How are they within themselves ? I hope that the Vets can find out what is wrong xx

Oh no, I am sorry to hear this :cry: How are they within themselves ? I hope that the Vets can find out what is wrong xx

They were quite quiet. Didn't take too much effort to catch them. I'm worried that they are masking more than usual just how ill they are, especially Pippin since he is a wildie cross.

Since they are both unwell, it must be something they've been fed or something in their run but I really don't have a clue what. My buns and guinea pig all have the same greens at night. The only thing that is unique to them is the Excel pellets. The other 2 buns have Rabbit Royale.

They were quite quiet. Didn't take too much effort to catch them. I'm worried that they are masking more than usual just how ill they are, especially Pippin since he is a wildie cross.

Since they are both unwell, it must be something they've been fed or something in their run but I really don't have a clue what. My buns and guinea pig all have the same greens at night. The only thing that is unique to them is the Excel pellets. The other 2 buns have Rabbit Royale.

Are they RHD2 vaccinated ?

Are they RHD2 vaccinated ?

Unfortunately not. I had wondered about that.

We are home for the night. The vet was quite happy with them. They were eating a little and passing poops, but that's what they've been doing here. They are due back in tomorrow for 9 to spend the day getting treatment. Boo seemed to pick up a bit when she was on the drip before, but has gone downhill since.

I'm sorry to hear you have so many struggling at this time, Weedug. Sending vibes that there will be improvement for your poorly ones. xxxx

I am sending you and your bunnies some more positive vibes. It cannot be easy for you when you have so many things to deal with at the same time.

I know it is difficult, but try not to stress yourself out about why they both got ill at the same time because you may never know that answer. You did everything right and they are both getting professional care. While they are at the vets, get some needed rest so you can spend plenty of time helping them get back to being themselves when they get home.

I had a listen to their tummies last night and I couldn't hear any gut sounds, but there are poops. How can a bunny poop with no gut sounds?

They have eaten the food I left out for them overnight, and there are poops (normal size) in their potty and a bit more urine. This morning Pippin is maybe slightly brighter than Boo, but they are both just sitting around. Just waiting to get them in to the vet again when they open.

I had a listen to their tummies last night and I couldn't hear any gut sounds, but there are poops. How can a bunny poop with no gut sounds?

They have eaten the food I left out for them overnight, and there are poops (normal size) in their potty and a bit more urine. This morning Pippin is maybe slightly brighter than Boo, but they are both just sitting around. Just waiting to get them in to the vet again when they open.

Perhaps mention RHD2 to the Vet, just to err on the side of caution. The Vet could send poo samples off for testing as this is now possible.

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/wp-c...Update-on-RHD2-for-Rabbit-Owners-Feb-2017.pdf

Obviously any suspicion of RHD2 would place other Rabbit inpatients at the Vets at risk.

Sending lots more vibes xx

Still in my thoughts, weedug. I hope that things go well with the vet today. More vibes being sent for Pippin and Boo. xxxx

vibes for Pippa & Boo. In the new year 2 of my 3 bunnies got ill, we never worked out why - it was very confusing x

Just back from dropping them off. Neither of them have any gut sounds, although Pippin was eating this morning and there are normal poops in their potty :?. Boo also has an area of pain in an area of her abdomen but the vet couldn't feel it properly.

The plan is to have them on fluids and gut stimulants, with stronger pain relief and see if the vet could get a better feel. If they don't pick up or pick up and don't stay better, they will be referred to D1ck vet. The vet said she'd phone about lunchtime with an update. I mentioned the RHD2 but the vet didn't say anything.

Back