Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice please - won't eat pellets, otherwise fine

That's interesting, do we know why that is?
    Will make sure they're checked, will be there soon.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by sierra*323 View Post

My theory is that it hurts more to crunch down on hard pellets than to chew hay/soft food.

Also, have a feel along his mandible for any lumps and bumps. Pain from elongated tooth roots and/or dental abscesses can make a Rabbit go off pellets x

Pain in rabbits will stop them from eating full stop. But you say he's fine apart from not eating pellets?
    Sounds mysterious as eating pellets is usually the easiest thing for a rabbit - that and soft food etc

He always starts eating hay and greens before pellets when recovering from any aneasthetic etc. He's just doing it backwards, which is odd.
    Been to the vets, there were no obvious issues. His teeth aren't sharp, his tummy isn't doughy, nothing out of the ordinary. He's had metacam just in case and emeprid for gut stimulation, and I have some for the next few days if needed. Just need to monitor him and hope it does the trick ☹

He always starts eating hay and greens before pellets when recovering from any aneasthetic etc. He's just doing it backwards, which is odd.
    Been to the vets, there were no obvious issues. His teeth aren't sharp, his tummy isn't doughy, nothing out of the ordinary. He's had metacam just in case and emeprid for gut stimulation, and I have some for the next few days if needed. Just need to monitor him and hope it does the trick ☹

Hope he's right as rain, and stops worrying you too much very soon

Thank you! 😟

An update - Tango is still not interested in pellets but is squabbling over handfuls of grass with his partner and scoffed some herby forage hay and dried blackcurrant leaves for dinner last night.
    He is pooing smaller and darker than usual but not misshapen or tiny.
    I have metacam and emeprid left but he is fighting them - usually the point at which he's bright enough to fight meds is when I know I'm safe to start phasing them out.
    I'm just waiting and monitoring, really not sure what else to do!

An update - Tango is still not interested in pellets but is squabbling over handfuls of grass with his partner and scoffed some herby forage hay and dried blackcurrant leaves for dinner last night.
    I have metacam and emeprid left but he is fighting them - usually the point at which he's bright enough to fight meds is when I know I'm safe to start phasing them out.

Exactly what I would do

It sounds like he's doing well. Grass makes smaller and darker poos anyway than hay. That's OK. You're keeping an eye and that's the main thing.

Good luck for today xx

Wise Old Thumper

If your Vets are open this morning I'd give them a call to update them and ask their advice as to ongoing medication. Eating grass can make poo darker, but it should not make the poo smaller/less in quantity. So you are wise to keep a close eye on 'output'. It's a BH weekend, so calling your Vet this morning might mean avoiding the cost of an OOH Consultation.

I hope that Tango will return to his normal eating soon xx

Vet advised to persevere with the meds and monitoring, give him a little time given that he's still eating and passing something but call them if he stops doing either or if I'm worried about anything else.