Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Advice please - won't eat pellets, otherwise fine

Quote Originally Posted by HannahB View Post
    My old boy went through the ringer this year with various infections on top of an arthritis diagnosis. He spent a good chunk of time at the vets (where he was fed pellets, hay and veg), but came home absolutely refusing pellets. We tried all different kinds, all different flavours- nothing was going in! He's been checked over so thoroughly including xray and 2 or 3 blood tests that I can't think it's anything serious. At the risk of being completely shot down, we actually switched him to mix as we and the vets felt it was more important to keep him eating than to get too worried about mix vs pellets. Obviously I'd much prefer him to be on pellets, but at his age and after gawd knows how many bouts of stasis and hospitalisation for various issues, I'm happy with him eating anything he darned likes!

No shooting from me

I have heard of vets suggesting muesli for rabbits on occasions, and I'm with you, whatever he had eat is better than not eating. As the years go by it's sometimes harder to keep weight on a rabbit.

How old is your boy, Hannah?

Young Bun

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    No shooting from me

I have heard of vets suggesting muesli for rabbits on occasions, and I'm with you, whatever he had eat is better than not eating. As the years go by it's sometimes harder to keep weight on a rabbit.

How old is your boy, Hannah?
    The vets are happy enough with him being on it, even though it's nobody's preference. He only has a small amount proportional to hay and veggies! Cuurent state of Harry? Check my latest thread entitled 'Squidgy poos'.... Would love your thoughts....

The vets are happy enough with him being on it, even though it's nobody's preference. He only has a small amount proportional to hay and veggies! Cuurent state of Harry? Check my latest thread entitled 'Squidgy poos'.... Would love your thoughts....

Just replied Hannah

How old is Harry?

Young Bun

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Just replied Hannah

How old is Harry?
    Thank you! Seen and replied in return. Harry will be 8 in August. He's a big boy though at 4.4kg and Trinity have commented before that his size may impact on life exectancy as organs will get tired sooner.

No shooting down here either

I'm going to order some different flavours to see if Tango can be tempted with something different. I'd been worried about reducing the fibre content as the SS adult pellets he's on are 25%, but as you say something is better than nothing! The Burgess adult ones are mint flavour so I think I'll see if he likes those, and their older bun ones are cranberry.

In theory, if he will eat something else that's equally crunchy and uses the same teeth/jaw motion then it would suggest his teeth aren't stopping him and it's something else?

In the meantime, he's still bright and happy, scoffing grass/hay, greens and dried treats like blackberry leaves, and eating his daily metacam on a strawberry leaf. Still won't touch pellets though, he doesn't even bother rushing into his house with Finx (his partner) at dinner time. He's booked in for a dental on Saturday if no positive change during the week.

Thank you! Seen and replied in return. Harry will be 8 in August. He's a big boy though at 4.4kg and Trinity have commented before that his size may impact on life exectancy as organs will get tired sooner.

Well you must've looked after him amazingly well for him to reach that grand old age

I know what it's like to have older buns. They are totally wonderful when they get old. My last bunny died at age 14 - I think she would've wanted to stay longer as well