Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice please - won't eat pellets, otherwise fine

Default Advice please - won't eat pellets, otherwise fine

Hello,

For the past few nights Tango has refused his pellets. I have plenty of experience of stasis (unfortunately) and I don't think this is it - he is bright, active, happily eats grass/hay/greens and is passing feaces. He had a dental a few weeks ago so there should be no issues there.

I would have assumed there must be something wrong with the pellets but my other pair are scoffing them as greedily as usual! Tango's partner Finx is rushing out to eat them, having her share and then leaving the rest once she realises she has no competition.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mama Doe

I would get his teeth checked out again. My dental bunnies stop eating hard (Burgess type) pellets first. The softer ones (Supreme Science Selective) get picked out in preference. A few weeks is long enough for spurs to regrow and start causing issues - maybe pain on eating or sharp bits cutting into soft tissue. If it is dental, maybe monitor for a while. If he is maintaining his weight, eating hay / grass and poo is normal, it may not need immediate attention - your vet would be able to advise on what to do.

It may equally be something totally unrelated. Maybe monitor for a few days and get him checked out next week if there is no improvement, or sooner if things deteriorate?

Quote Originally Posted by sierra*323 View Post
    Hello,

For the past few nights Tango has refused his pellets. I have plenty of experience of stasis (unfortunately) and I don't think this is it - he is bright, active, happily eats grass/hay/greens and is passing feaces. He had a dental a few weeks ago so there should be no issues there.

I would have assumed there must be something wrong with the pellets but my other pair are scoffing them as greedily as usual! Tango's partner Finx is rushing out to eat them, having her share and then leaving the rest once she realises she has no competition.

Any ideas?

Sorry to hear about Tango. They do worry us!

It does usually indicate something going on - can you try other dried food, or another bag of pellets? maybe something has just put him off those ones in particular. He could've got a 'bad un' in there maybe?

If his teeth were an issue I would expect him to still be eating his dried food - it's a crunching up and down movement for the teeth which is easier with dental issues than a side to side grind of hay or grass ...

Tango had parsley, kale and hay for breakfast but wouldn't touch pellets. I offered him some hay experts treat things and he ate one but didn't want a second.

I've booked a vet appointment for this evening just in case there's some deeper reason 😟
    Feeling worried!

Wise Old Thumper

Sending lots of vibes for Tango. I hope his vet appointment goes well.

Thanks! Here he is eating a dandelion earlier this week 😊

Quote Originally Posted by sierra*323 View Post
    Tango had parsley, kale and hay for breakfast but wouldn't touch pellets. I offered him some hay experts treat things and he ate one but didn't want a second.

I've booked a vet appointment for this evening just in case there's some deeper reason 😟
    Feeling worried!

Vibes for Tango. I hope you get to the reason behind this

Lots of vibes being sent.
    How long ago was the last dental?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks. Maybe 3 weeks? Definitely not a month. He has had 3 in total, about 4 months apart.

Wise Old Thumper

Has the Vet checked his ears ?

IME ear pain can cause a Rabbit to stop eating pellets.