• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Picking at food

Alicia

Mama Doe
I'm a bit worried about Izzy but I'm not sure if I should be or if I'm just being extra cautious because of Joey. I got some different pellets last week and have gradually been mixing them in with the old ones and before she used to eat her pellets straight away, now she picks at them and comes back to them. I don't like the new pellets as I don't think they're as good as I originally thought but could it be that she doesn't like them or should I be concerned? She doesn't seem to have eaten much hay either but I'm not sure whether that's just because I'm used to two rabbits eating the hay so it goes down quicker, and if I put dandelions or grass in she eats them quickly.

If you were already feeding a high quality pellet she liked, what made you decide to change? I think she could do with as few changes as possible, so I would revert to her previous pellets. They form such a small part of the diet, anyway. I am always concerned when there is a change in a rabbit's behaviour. If she is eating a lot of grass she won't need as much hay, but obviously she should be eating her way through a good amount each day - have you also changed her hay?

I changed before Joey died, about a week ago before he was ill even. The old pellets were tesco own ones and they weren't very good. She's eating dandelions now. I changed her hay about a week ago too, from pet shop hay to hay for pets Timothy hay because I thought it was better for her :(

I changed before Joey died, about a week ago before he was ill even. The old pellets were tesco own ones and they weren't very good. She's eating dandelions now. I changed her hay about a week ago too, from pet shop hay to hay for pets Timothy hay because I thought it was better for her :(

I think what I would do, then, is go over to a good pellet and mix with her old Tesco pellets until she gets used to them: perhaps do a quarter of an eggcupful of new pellets to three quarters Tesco pellets. Chuck away the other new stuff! Do that for a week and then gradually increase the good pellets ratio.

Thank you I'll give that a go. I know it's all down to opinion but what pellet is best? I really want to keep her as healthy as possible and I want to get her diet as good as possible

Thank you I'll give that a go. I know it's all down to opinion but what pellet is best? I really want to keep her as healthy as possible and I want to get her diet as good as possible

I think a lot of people here recommend Science Selective. Let us know how you get on - they certainly know how to worry us! I think the greatest danger with feeding is giving too many pellets, but I'm sure you already know all about that.

Yes ive made a lot of effort over the past few weeks to not feed as many pellets, I will give science selective a go and change it over gradually thank you

Tamsin has a brilliant guide on pellets :D - http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp
I've used Science Selective and Burgess Excel in the past but mine are now all on FibaFirst. Took some convincing for some as I think they definitely prefer the taste of the more traditional pellets but it works well for us as they're higher in fiber than other pellets and more difficult to choke on (they come as a sort of stick), which was particularly important as Maple was a greedy girl and choked badly on pellets twice. Lunar has also choked on a pellet and we very nearly lost her.
Science Selective and Excel seem to be the favourites of many on here and personally of the two I prefer using Science Selective, though it is of course up to you :D

Back