• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leaving a rabbit alone

Monty's Human

Alpha Buck
I hope this is the right section! Apologies if not :) (apologies also for all the questions - I feel like a very bad bunny owner :( )

My question is just about leaving Monty alone for short periods when we're out of the flat. To begin with, we always put him away if neither of us was here, but we've slowly learnt to trust him if we're just popping across to the shops and will only be gone 10 minutes. Would it be ok to leave him unattended for any longer than that? I'm really worried he'll injure himself while I'm gone, but it means locking him away in his hutch more than I would like. Some background:

* I work from home, so there's somebody here seven days a week, and he always gets at least a few hours out of his hutch. But I go out for approx. an hour and a half twice a week, and once every couple of months or so we'll have visitors and both be going out for the afternoon. At these times he's put in his hutch. Also for the odd eg longer shopping trip of an afternoon or what have you. We have to put him away for a few hours in the evening to let the hamster have a run around, and we leave him in his hutch then over night - so he's usually in for about 10 hours at a time overnight. Obviously if we could safely leave him out, he would still need to go away for 2-3 hours while the hamster plays, but otherwise there's nothing to stop him being out all the time except concerns about safety.

*We are a one-storey flat, and basically, there's a door which effectively separates the flat into two, so that Monty can be kept in one section, or let into both. The back of the flat (bathroom, study, bedroom) is fairly well Monty-proofed, but not entirely. In particular, although we have wrapped up all of the wires in the study in wire protectors, he still has access to the electrical socket where they plug in, and also to the back of the computer, where the ends of the wires are still visible. To his credit, he's shown little inclination to chew them, but I only leave him unattended at the back when the computer is switched off at the wall. Will switching it off be enough to prevent any (rabbit) damage should he chew through anything? His favourite spot in the whole flat is under the bed, so I like to let him out back when I can - he also has a bowl of water and a cardboard box filled with hay in the study, so access to water, food and a secondary litter tray at the back of the flat. If we could leave him unattended in the whole flat, I think that would be ideal, but it isn't as thoroughly Monty-proofed as the front of the flat; it would be possible to confine him to just the front of the flat when he's alone:

*The front of the flat (living room, kitchen) is (almost) definitely Monty-proofed. He's never been into the kitchen, so I've never tested whether the Monty-proofing has worked, but I can't see any way he could harm himself - unless he gets behind the freezer/washing machine to the wires, but I'm fairly certain he can't. The living room was, we thought, Monty-proofed, but about a month ago there was an Incident, and it's that which has made me think we won't be able to leave him unattended. He managed to choke himself climbing back into his hutch (he decided to go under the door, rather than round it, the door caught on his shoulders and ended up trapping him between door and door-frame and choking him). Thankfully, I was in the room at the time and sprang to the rescue, but this is why I prefer to put him in his hutch. The only way of fully Monty-proofing the living room, it seems, is to close his hutch when we aren't around - not the end of the world, he has a litter tray full of hay, there's a water bottle attached to a table leg and he can hide under the sofa, which is completely dark - but obviously denying him access to his hutch isn't ideal. Otherwise, we're confident the room is as safe as can be for a bunny.

I hate him having to be in his hutch so much (his hutch is slightly smaller than the recommended size - we could only fit in one that was five foot long, and I think the rec is six? It is min. size for height/width, though, so he has just about enough room, and is able to stretch out fully, hop, and stand up in the centre of the hutch. Having the rest of the flat to run around in also means he has more than the rec. space for outside the hutch, which I hope compensates in part.). But after the choking incident, I'd rather put him away then leave him unattended alone/at night and have something happen. What's best to do?

(I should probably also say that we've been trying to teach him "home!" but he steadfastly refuses any inducement to go back to his hutch during the day, so we end up carrying him, which he hates, so generally going back in is a stressful experience for him. He's ok in the evenings - he seems to have learnt to recognise the noise of the hamster waking up, and will hop back in quite cheerfully and flump down on the second storey so we can shut him up).

I would try to rabbit proof an area or a room so that he doesn't have to be shut in his hutch at night etc, rabbits are so active including at night and need an area of 60sqft permanently available to them. You could buy puppy panels to attach to the hutch to make a large run for him, if you can't rabbit proof a room :thumb:

Thanks for your advice! I would like to leave him out, it's just worry about whether he can be trusted alone. If I left him out at night, would it be ok to shut his hutch? It would mean he couldn't access it at night/when he's alone in the house. But I am confident that the living room is Monty-proof except for his hutch, after the choking incident. It still wouldn't be quite 24 hours, because the hamster needs a few hours a night, but it would mean only 2-3 hours in his hutch in the evening. (The hamster will be three years old this summer, so we weren't expecting to have him and Monty living together so long - they get on quite well, but obviously need to be kept separate, which means a compromise for now. Ofc once the hamster retires to his nest in the sky, Monty would be allowed to free range in the living room always).

Thank you also for the tip on puppy panels. I think the living room is about big enough for him (4.5m x 5.something3ish m, from memory) but I could look eventually into getting some so he can go through the hallway as well, to add a little more space (hallway is long and thin, so good for running up and down). Right now I am saving up to try and properly properly Monty-proof the study - it looks like it would be possible to get a new desk that would cover over the electrical socket, and still have room for a shelf/crate/chest at the side so the computer could sit up above ground level - thus meaning we could stop him having access to the computer wires. Alas, that will also set me back quite a bit, so I'll need to save for a while, but it's first priority as I think the computer is still the main danger.

So, we have let Monty back out for the last couple of nights, once the hamster has gone back to bed. So far so good, and no problems that I've been able to find on going in in the morning. But the second I open his hutch for him, he's straight in there - he has access to hay and water at all times when the hutch is shut (obviously) so I can only conclude that he'd rather be in than out. But I don't want to leave him out with the hutch door open as things are. Is there any way to square the circle?

(We're having a Bad Bunny Week between the three of us so far, but he's currently flumped on the floor at my feet, looking adorable, and for all the world like he's just decided that next to me is the safest place to have a nap. I wish I could be a better Bunny for him :( )

So, we have let Monty back out for the last couple of nights, once the hamster has gone back to bed. So far so good, and no problems that I've been able to find on going in in the morning. But the second I open his hutch for him, he's straight in there - he has access to hay and water at all times when the hutch is shut (obviously) so I can only conclude that he'd rather be in than out. But I don't want to leave him out with the hutch door open as things are. Is there any way to square the circle?

(We're having a Bad Bunny Week between the three of us so far, but he's currently flumped on the floor at my feet, looking adorable, and for all the world like he's just decided that next to me is the safest place to have a nap. I wish I could be a better Bunny for him :( )

Can you make the door so that it is safe by either removing it or be able to fix it open?

Can you make the door so that it is safe by either removing it or be able to fix it open?

I hadn't thought of removing the door, but it looks like we would be able to take it off its hinges eventually. Unfortunately not at the moment, as we do need to be able to contain him for a few hours while the hamster runs around. It might be possible to fix a system where the door stays open, but as there's nothing around the hutch we could fix it to (it has bookcases on either side) all I can think of would be to wedge it open with something - which risks Monty knocking it out and thus having a close-able door again. With the best will in the world, Monty is a bit of an idiot, so I feel like I have to be really careful with things. (His current trick is to hear you coming and so go and sit behind the door you're about to open, in the hope of being let into other rooms. I have had to get used to sneaking round my own flat like a burglar so I don't bump him too hard - and he refuses to budge, so the only way to get through the door is to use it to very gently push him along the floor. He's... not the brightest.)

He sounds adorable:love: what about a hook and loop to hook it open?

Partial as I may be, he is rather cute :D (If exasperating at times). The velcro sounds like it might work - thank you for the idea! My partner's off work this week, so I'll ask him to add it to his to-do list, and hopefully that will please Mr Monty!

Partial as I may be, he is rather cute :D (If exasperating at times). The velcro sounds like it might work - thank you for the idea! My partner's off work this week, so I'll ask him to add it to his to-do list, and hopefully that will please Mr Monty!

I didn't actually mean Velcro but it might work :thumb: i meant a metal hook and a loop for it to hook into. Or if it opens back so mesh is against mesh you might be able to use a clip.

Sorry for the delay in replying - I wanted to bring good news. My partner fixed it up today, a hook into the side of the hutch and then a metal chain with a clip at the end to clip onto the mesh - so the door is at nearly 180 degrees (lots of room for him to get in and out) and the chain should be short enough to stop it closing completely on him if he gets stuck. The only risk I can see is that he does get stuck under it again, but I would think that even Monty, dim as he is, would figure out in the end that he can just crawl backwards to get out (and if not, there's usually only a few hours between one of us coming to bed and one of us getting up, so worst case scenario a very grumpy bunny?)

Since we've been letting him out more, he seems to have suddenly become extraordinarily affectionate - I don't know if that's co-incidental or a side effect of having more "free time" to himself. He was already quite happy to come and flump by my feet for a couple of hours in the morning, but the past couple of mornings he's been making me fall over coiling himself round my legs everywhere I go, following me discreetly from room to room (he seems to want to pretend he isn't following me, and just happened to want to hop in to his hutch then straight back out again, no really) when he can't catch me and running round me every time I sit down. I also seem to need to be dug quite a lot, and this morning, when I was trying to do something as heinous as pop briefly into another room, he actually threw his front legs around my leg and clung on as if to go "Nooooo, don't leeeeeeave me!" It's very nice to be this appreciated!

Thanks for all your help :D With any luck, Monty will now be a happier (and, apparently, clingier) bunny.

Aww :love: Monty is a very lucky bunny :thumb: we would love to see pictures:thumb:

I'm not having much luck uploading pictures :( Photobucket won't let me sign up (I think because it insisted on a US zip code, then my email address is clearly in the UK ><) so I'm not sure how else to upload them. I'm sorry :(

I'm not having much luck uploading pictures :( Photobucket won't let me sign up (I think because it insisted on a US zip code, then my email address is clearly in the UK ><) so I'm not sure how else to upload them. I'm sorry :(

I wonder if you had somehow got onto a US photo bucket site :? I am from the UK and signed up ok, although it was a long time ago

I wonder if you had somehow got onto a US photo bucket site :? I am from the UK and signed up ok, although it was a long time ago

I was able to select UK from the drop-down menu, but it would only let me put numbers into the zip code box - which is no good for UK! I tried uploading to another free hosting site, but this site didn't recognise the picture code :S

The only risk I can see is that he does get stuck under it again...

So, after all that, I lied. Sat eating breakfast this morning, I hear a frantic scrabbling, which I trace to Monty, who has crawled under his hutch and is now struggling to get out again... Thankfully, he managed to execute a 180-turn and come back out the way he got under, because under such a confined space anything I could have done would have only panicked him further. It's only a few inches off the ground, I have no idea how he got under there - he did once before when he was still wee, and on that occasion he just crawled all the way through. It seems to be my fault he got stuck this time, because in anticipation of that thing called summer which may or may not turn up this year, I'd put some herb pots down at one end and that was blocking him. But he did manage to get free, and aside from a few baleful glares at me he's fine, so I shall just have to trust him either to not repeat the experiment or to look after himself if he does.

Rise and fall hinges are great too. They're the ones that rise up over your carpet, so the door doesn't catch. They unhook completely, which would enable the door to come off.

Rise and fall hinges are great too. They're the ones that rise up over your carpet, so the door doesn't catch. They unhook completely, which would enable the door to come off.

I'm sorry, I only just saw this - thank you for the suggestion! :D I think they wouldn't add much now, as with the chain on, the door doesn't really move - it can go maybe a cm either way, but it's fairly stable, so there probably wouldn't be the necessary give for the hinges to kick in. Once we can, we'll take the door off altogether. We're trying to keep Monty in the back of the house so he's free to run around while the hamster's out, but sometimes he prefers his hutch, and either way we have to close his hutch door or the hamster takes it as permission to go and root around thoroughly in Monty's hutch.

I'm told Monty was under his hutch again last night. Again he got himself out ok, so I guess it's just a case of trusting that he'll look after himself if he wants to go under there. No idea why, there's nothing under there for him. My instinct is to protect him at all costs, but I also can't help thinking that he does need to stand on his own four feet a bit! (Oh, the joys of being a rabbit-parent...)

Back