• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

SIr Humphrey

Hello all,

My girlfriend and I brought home a little lion-lop on Saturday who we have named Sir Humphrey! He's lovely and settling in really well. He's already come out of his shell loads and developed a right little personality that has had us in stitches, he's gotten used to us and is happy to come up to us or climb on us for some Carrot (his absolute favourite). Potty training is going relatively well, we have sort of make-shift sectioned off half of the kitchen and he has the weeing side nailed down but escapee poos still drop out where his majesty pleases. We are praising him and giving him a little carrot when we see him using his potty and putting any accidents straight in there but other than that i think perhaps the odd poo you have to live with?

We do have a few questions!

1. Hes 11-12 weeks and we are gonna take him to the vet for a health check this week and to set a date for neutering and vaccines. How invasive are both of these? I suppose we are worried the vet is gonna ask us to hold him while they stick him with a giant needle and then he's going to hate being held and distrust us from that point on?

2. We are considering going back and getting a little girl. We just feel bad when we're out at work. Is it best to get him neutered first, then go back and buy a little girl. Then from there clean up the cage so its scent free and introduce them on neutral ground? He seems perfectly happy so is a second even that necessary? How will adding a second change his behaviour? More territorial? More confident?

3. How much veg can we be feeding to a baby rabbit of his age? He loves the little veg treats we feed him, especially carrot (dislikes cucumber) but we dont want to be doing more damage than good. Whats a good daily guideline? Same goes for pellets, we are giving him a small handful in the morning and at night and he absolutely loves it. Is this too much or about right and should we eventually be taking him off pellets so its just hay and veg as the treat?

Thanks for your time :)

Hello all,

My girlfriend and I brought home a little lion-lop on Saturday who we have named Sir Humphrey! He's lovely and settling in really well. He's already come out of his shell loads and developed a right little personality that has had us in stitches, he's gotten used to us and is happy to come up to us or climb on us for some Carrot (his absolute favourite). Potty training is going relatively well, we have sort of make-shift sectioned off half of the kitchen and he has the weeing side nailed down but escapee poos still drop out where his majesty pleases. We are praising him and giving him a little carrot when we see him using his potty and putting any accidents straight in there but other than that i think perhaps the odd poo you have to live with?

1. Hes 11-12 weeks and we are gonna take him to the vet for a health check this week and to set a date for neutering and vaccines. How invasive are both of these? I suppose we are worried the vet is gonna ask us to hold him while they stick him with a giant needle and then he's going to hate being held and distrust us from that point on?

2. We are considering going back and getting a little girl. We just feel bad when we're out at work. Is it best to get him neutered first, then go back and buy a little girl. Then from there clean up the cage so its scent free and introduce them on neutral ground? He seems perfectly happy so is a second even that necessary? How will adding a second change his behaviour? More territorial? More confident?

3. How much veg can we be feeding to a baby rabbit of his age? He loves the little veg treats we feed him, especially carrot (dislikes cucumber) but we dont want to be doing more damage than good. Whats a good daily guideline? Same goes for pellets, we are giving him a small handful in the morning and at night and he absolutely loves it. Is this too much or about right and should we eventually be taking him off pellets so its just hay and veg as the treat?

Hallo!

Sir Humphrey sounds wonderful. Monty was about the same age when we got him, and months on he still isn't that friendly with us, so you must be fantastic bunnies!

I wouldn't worry about the vaccination - when I took Monty, I was cringing horribly at the needle, but the vet told me that they don't actually feel it - she put it into his neck, it took a couple of seconds, and I suffered a lot more than he did. I don't know about neutering, I'm afraid, as we were advised not to do it for Monty unless his behaviour was troubling, but I was told that as he was only 11/12 weeks, they wouldn't do it for a while anyway (we were still only 95% certain he was a he). That's because he lives alone with us, so there's only him to think about - if you were thinking of getting another, I think the advice is to always neuter first, for several reasons (I've never done this, so someone far more knowledgeable will, I'm sure, give you more information!)

In terms of food, I have been using the RSPCA guide for sizes: https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/rabbits/diet
Then I use this list for safe foods: http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/recommended-vegetables-herbs/

Good luck! He sounds like a brilliant bunny companion :D

Once Sir H has been neutered, I'm sure he would love to have a little girlie friend. When looking for one, try a rescue as she will be neutered already and they may help with bonding
Vaccination will be no problem, but try to find a rabbit Davy vet ( ask on here with a new topic "rabbit savy vet wanted near XXXX")
Your bun is much younger than ours so I am unable to advise on food amounts
Good luck I hope all goes well [emoji1]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Hello all,

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I hope you'll log on soon and notice how welcome you are, and that people are trying to help with your questions :D

Back