• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello and help please

CatEric

New Kit
My name is Cathie. I live in North Georgia and my family and I live on 5.5 acres where we have a small farm with ducks, chickens, pheasant, quail and two types of rabbits. I have German Angora and american chinchilla. One of my American chinchillas gave birth to seven kits. she was very protective and is a known good mother. Unfortunately, all but two kits died. I got a look at the two remaining kits and noted that they haven't gotten as big as the other kits from her other litters and that their scrotum (I'm guessing that is what it is) is swollen. Any ideas on what could be the problem? they are only 4 weeks old.

My name is Cathie. I live in North Georgia and my family and I live on 5.5 acres where we have a small farm with ducks, chickens, pheasant, quail and two types of rabbits. I have German Angora and american chinchilla. One of my American chinchillas gave birth to seven kits. she was very protective and is a known good mother. Unfortunately, all but two kits died. I got a look at the two remaining kits and noted that they haven't gotten as big as the other kits from her other litters and that their scrotum (I'm guessing that is what it is) is swollen. Any ideas on what could be the problem? they are only 4 weeks old.

Hi

It's impossible to say for certain without being able to see the Kits. They may have a prolapsed rectum, this can happen in Kits who have enteritis. It can also be congenital/genetic. I would suggest that you contact a Vet in order to obtain a diagnosis. I hope the Kits survive x

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Have you asked a vet for advice about this? It sounds like they could be in some pain ..

Just wanted to let you know. I was told it could be hutch burn (I guess when they sit in urine. I have been putting A & D ointment on it and they seem to be a lot better. I clean the cage, but they seem to find where Momma pees and insist on sitting there...they are a lot better though.

Just wanted to let you know. I was told it could be hutch burn (I guess when they sit in urine. I have been putting A & D ointment on it and they seem to be a lot better. I clean the cage, but they seem to find where Momma pees and insist on sitting there...they are a lot better though.

Thanks for the update - what's A & D cream?

Back