• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

And now Pixel's not eating - U/D: Spurs on teeth - Another U/D #27

I can't help it, if something's off I worry :oops:
Like I say, if it's something like a bunny not eating I'd be up the vet first, on here later. I've had enough rabbits with stasis (especially in the last 6 months or so, for whatever reason) to be able to see when it's urgent. It's just the instinct that there's something wrong that I don't like. He's such a bright and playful little thing, I don't think there's anything hugely wrong at this stage. But I'd rather recognize a problem early than find out later that I'd missed a clue and it be harder to treat.
I think you're right, monitor and discuss with vet is the best approach. It just bothers me when something's not right and I don't know what it is :p
Thank you for all the advice, sometimes I need someone to tell me it's not as bad as I think it is :lol:

Like I say, if it's something like a bunny not eating I'd be up the vet first, on here later. I've had enough rabbits with stasis (especially in the last 6 months or so, for whatever reason) to be able to see when it's urgent. It's just the instinct that there's something wrong that I don't like. He's such a bright and playful little thing, I don't think there's anything hugely wrong at this stage. But I'd rather recognize a problem early than find out later that I'd missed a clue and it be harder to treat.
I think you're right, monitor and discuss with vet is the best approach. It just bothers me when something's not right and I don't know what it is :p
Thank you for all the advice, sometimes I need someone to tell me it's not as bad as I think it is :lol:

Yes, that's me too :)

I suppose I've got used to 'not worrying' when I know something's off but can't put my finger on it. I let my 'outside the box' bit of brain do the work on that one :)

Oh, and I also believe in miracles :)

Completely agree with you. I too would rather trust my gut instinct than anything else, even if I am accused of being neurotic. Some people prefer to do a lot of 'DIY' with a sick Rabbit, giving all sorts of lotions and potions. I prefer to consult a qualified Vet and be thought a fool !! :lol:

Lots more vibes being sent for Pixel xx

Sending lots more vibes for Pixel. He's gorgeous by the way :love: I hope you and your vet can establish what is going on with him.

Topping up the vibes for beautiful Pixel.

I hope you are managing to worry less now, and certain not about the dreaded 'tooth roots' :)

Thank you :)

Just got back - no vaccination today. My vet wants to see him again in a week for another weight check (he was 1.38kg today but don't know if he's lost weight yet or not) and if he hasn't lost weight and seems okay he'll get his vaccination then. I think she's also a little confused as it seems odd. She's not concerned about teeth but is confused I think over why he's picking hay over other things, including softer foods like fresh herbs and fresh grass.
While he was being checked underneath today I did however notice his hocks were a little red looking. I hadn't noticed it before as usually when I have him 'upside down' (not literally but you know what I mean!) I don't get to see that angle - plus he's got a lot of fur covering it. I just cauge a glimpse of a pinky colour when she was holding him and got a surprise when I pulled back the fur. I don't understand that as he has vetbed for bedding, he's in a clean environment and he's hardly inactive. He does spend a lot of time running around on the lino floors and carpet, maybe it's that? Very odd, I've never known him to have trouble with his hocks. It's not severe, the skin isn't broken so vet hasn't suggested he needs anything yet. I've just put some sudocreme on so will try that for a few days but it did take me by surprise. I'm wondering if that could be related as maybe it's causing him some discomfort, but again - he's not off food, just picky.
Really not sure what to think :?

Just got back - no vaccination today. My vet wants to see him again in a week for another weight check (he was 1.38kg today but don't know if he's lost weight yet or not) and if he hasn't lost weight and seems okay he'll get his vaccination then. I think she's also a little confused as it seems odd. She's not concerned about teeth but is confused I think over why he's picking hay over other things, including softer foods like fresh herbs and fresh grass.
While he was being checked underneath today I did however notice his hocks were a little red looking. I hadn't noticed it before as usually when I have him 'upside down' (not literally but you know what I mean!) I don't get to see that angle - plus he's got a lot of fur covering it. I just cauge a glimpse of a pinky colour when she was holding him and got a surprise when I pulled back the fur. I don't understand that as he has vetbed for bedding, he's in a clean environment and he's hardly inactive. He does spend a lot of time running around on the lino floors and carpet, maybe it's that? Very odd, I've never known him to have trouble with his hocks. It's not severe, the skin isn't broken so vet hasn't suggested he needs anything yet. I've just put some sudocreme on so will try that for a few days but it did take me by surprise. I'm wondering if that could be related as maybe it's causing him some discomfort, but again - he's not off food, just picky.

Carpet can be a bit abrasive, so maybe. Hopefully he will maintain his weight over the coming week. You may just have a Bunny who prefers hay over anything else !!

To be honest I can't think of anything that could have caused it other than the carpet. Maple had trouble with her hocks, but she was a rex and I think a bit prone to it and Jazzie has had some problems too but other than that the others have all be fine and they all run around on the carpet. Pixel tends to spend more time on the lino than the others so I do find it odd. But at hey, at least it's not too bad yet. Hopefully it will clear up without too much trouble. The sudocreme worked wonders on Jazzie when she had trouble :D

Well, a bunny that prefers hay would certainly not be something to complain about! I've noticed they do change their tastes as time goes on, maybe he's jut developed a preferance for it and there's nothing wrong at all. Probably been worrying over nothing.
It's unbelievable isn't it, I'm going into a vet complainging because my rabbit's eating hay! :roll:
We'll see how he goes next week but I'm getting the feeling it's going to be one of those things you never get the the bottom of. I guess for now I should just be thankful to have such a great hay eater :lol:

Hi there

I am with your vet - it's a little strange to say the least. I am hopeful that a reason will come to light for the pickiness.

As for his hocks, carpet can certainly be abrasive on bunnies' feet. Do you keep the nails clipped short? That said, loads of bunnies are on carpet with no issues whatsoever, and very often these pinky bits on hocks come and go. As your vet says, keep an eye, but nothing much to be done at this stage. Remember that what you put on the hocks, he will lick off and ingest :)

It's a shame that the vet wasn't able to shed any light as to what's going on with Pixel. However, as you say rabbits do change their preferences for food over time and it could just be that. It's good that the vet is monitoring him and waiting to see how he is next week before vaccinating him. I hope his hocks clear up quickly. Having three Rexes, I know how distressing that can be, even when it's very minor.

Yes, he's one of the few that is actually quite good for nail clipping so they're quite short. Unlike certain other bunnies. I've always done nail clippings myself but I'm genuinely considering taking Snowflake up the vet next time :shock: there are only so many bites I can take :lol:
Usually they're quite good with sudocreme and as I understand it it's safe? It's what I've always used and I've seen a lot of other people recommend it. I used it way back for Willow when she had trouble (come to think of it she spent the majority of her time running around on carpet as the whole house was carpeted then) and she used to lick it off :roll: Maple was usually very good and had it on a lot as she had a lot of trouble, poor girl. Unfortunately I've noticed Pixel, being the obsessive cleaner he is, has had a go at licking it already.

I'd be very happy if it's a simple question of him prefering the taste of hay but I'm certainly on alert. I guess there's not much more to be done at this stage but to simply monitor and see if anything changes.

Yes, he's one of the few that is actually quite good for nail clipping so they're quite short. Unlike certain other bunnies. I've always done nail clippings myself but I'm genuinely considering taking Snowflake up the vet next time :shock: there are only so many bites I can take :lol:
Usually they're quite good with sudocreme and as I understand it it's safe? It's what I've always used and I've seen a lot of other people recommend it. I used it way back for Willow when she had trouble (come to think of it she spent the majority of her time running around on carpet as the whole house was carpeted then) and she used to lick it off :roll: Maple was usually very good and had it on a lot as she had a lot of trouble, poor girl. Unfortunately I've noticed Pixel, being the obsessive cleaner he is, has had a go at licking it already.

I'd be very happy if it's a simple question of him prefering the taste of hay but I'm certainly on alert. I guess there's not much more to be done at this stage but to simply monitor and see if anything changes.

Regarding Sudocrem, I know lots of people and vets recommend it, but it's not something I would use.

Maybe he's one of those rare bunnies that prefer the taste of hay. If it's as simple as that, then all well and good! I think I would be a bit suspicious though :lol:

Regarding sore hocks and carpet - yes it's reportedly abrasive, but I've kept multiple houserabbits for 25 years, running up and down carpeted stairs, and been surprised by the low incidence of sore hocks. I think there's often a cause that's nothing to do with environment regarding sore hocks - but that's another subject :)

Just to add when any of my rabbits gets sore hocks, admittedly it's always been minimal, I have just kept an eye on it and have never used any creams etc. It has always cleared up by itself.

Hope all is OK this morning ..

I am with Omi - unless the problem is more than just pink showing, I watch and wait. Very often things clear up by themselves :thumb:

You mention he was eating hay, is maintaining his weight, and is very bouncy and normal. Is it possible that his preferences have changed as the result of his problem being resolved?
Sending you and Pixel some positive vibes for continued improvement.

Back