Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sudden aggression / U/D

Wise Old Thumper

Oh, poor Luna, she must find everything terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by kattymieoww View Post
    Aww poor girlie,she must have been scared etc.No advice ,maybe some others can help with blind/poor sight bunnies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babsie View Post
    Oh, poor Luna, she must find everything terrifying.
    yeah

while they did squabble over food, before Snoopy became ill and in pain they were always at one anothers side. it was in January that Snoopy began to go downhill and pushed her away fighting, almost as if he knew he would pass and was trying to distance himself from her. even so in the end she was always by his side and followed him around. one would be chewing one end of the cable, the other further down!

so her buddy is gone - and now she's completely terrified. her black world is even blacker with no way of knowing who is where and not having her buddy who helped her see.

with blind rabbits sometimes they can still register light as their pupils will expand and contract. Luna doesn't have that. so its more than likely her world is completely black as she is possibly totally blind, with or without a neurological issue. her eyes are also a bit cloudy.

I wish I had known sooner but I suppose while I did wonder, I never brought it up :/

follow us on instagram! @binky.hams

Quote Originally Posted by binkyCodie View Post
    went to the vets today, had her examined and it confirmed what I've wondered for a while...

Luna is actually blind!

before Snoopy were her eyes, her buddy. she followed him around and was always nearby. now however she has lost that, and to say the least is terrified and scared. she doesn't have the confidence which explains her biting me and lunging, but also adds up to her running into walls, unable to find food etc.

Aislin poked around her eye with a cotton bud and she still didnt blink then, then she went to do it in her eye (she should have realized its not nice and is uncomfortable) - nothing. her eyes do not dilate or contract depending on light levels so its likely for her the world is completely black and/or she has a neurological issue stopping that from happening.

so I guess time to look into how I can help her feel best and help her during this time.
    Did the Vet mention treating Luna with Panacur given that she has previously presented with neurological problems and she now has ocular problems ? Both symptoms can be associated with exposure to EC (Encephilitazoon Cuniculi)

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Ecuniculi_Lft.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by binkyCodie View Post
    went to the vets today, had her examined and it confirmed what I've wondered for a while...

Luna is actually blind!

before Snoopy were her eyes, her buddy. she followed him around and was always nearby. now however she has lost that, and to say the least is terrified and scared. she doesn't have the confidence which explains her biting me and lunging, but also adds up to her running into walls, unable to find food etc.

Aislin poked around her eye with a cotton bud and she still didnt blink then, then she went to do it in her eye (she should have realized its not nice and is uncomfortable) - nothing. her eyes do not dilate or contract depending on light levels so its likely for her the world is completely black and/or she has a neurological issue stopping that from happening.

so I guess time to look into how I can help her feel best and help her during this time.

I'm sorry to hear this

I have had a lovely little blind rabbit who lost her partner. I'm afraid I felt the only option for us (which is not for you of course) was to get her another mate who could help her. She went downhill and I believe her friend saved her life.

Did the vet suggest anything for her eyes, or a possible cause? (apologies if I've missed this)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Did the Vet mention treating Luna with Panacur given that she has previously presented with neurological problems and she now has ocular problems ? Both symptoms can be associated with exposure to EC (Encephilitazoon Cuniculi)

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Ecuniculi_Lft.pdf
    she didn't no.

I personally am with the idea this is a since birth issue (as is the vet). however I am a/was new rabbit owner and didn't think much of it. Snoopy with his illness has taken up most of my time so small things with Luna did sadly go unnoticed. and its not common during health checks to check the eyes unless the owner mentions it, its the same with dogs and cats as well.

but if I look back on it, she has always lunged at me, she has run into walls, people, objects. it was only once she had Snoopy with her that she seemed to settle down and less often would she go for me. she did however still run into things but I suppose I didn't take as much notice as I should have had. its only now with the increased aggression, Snoopy not taking up all my time, and watching her behavior more that I have realized it.

thing is I don't have a clue what she's been through as I got her at 6 months from a disgusting home. it may have been a reason why they wanted rid of her, they may have even caused it as she used to pee in fear when I approached her. no idea

the vet did mention tests that could be done to see if we could find why, but they would be expensive and may not even find anything. and right now its not something I can afford as Snoopy pretty much ran me down with the end of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    I'm sorry to hear this

I have had a lovely little blind rabbit who lost her partner. I'm afraid I felt the only option for us (which is not for you of course) was to get her another mate who could help her. She went downhill and I believe her friend saved her life.

Did the vet suggest anything for her eyes, or a possible cause? (apologies if I've missed this)
    the vet isn't sure why, but we do believe this is something she has had from birth, or early on in life. when I got her at 6 mos she ran into walls, objects, people. she was also aggressive, and that only changed after she was with snoopy who I suppose became her seeing eye buddy.

she didn't suggest anything either, other than possible tests to maybe find out why, but currently I don't have the money for that. that's more of a consideration for the future.

follow us on instagram! @binky.hams