• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Joey's not eating

Alicia

Mama Doe
I went to give them breakfast and he's not interested in food. I put him in the run but he took himself back up into the hutch, I put food up there with him but he's not interested. Doesn't look like much hay has been eaten either but all his pellets are gone. I'm going to ring the vets now, I can't lose another one :(

Sending lots of vibes for Joey. Hopefully the vet can establish what's wrong and give him some meds to make him feel better.

Poor Joey, I hope the vets can make him feel better. Is Joey a rabbit? If so if I were you I would mention the other rabbit smelling like a farmyard, as it may be related and might help with diagnosis. Sending lots of vibes xx

Poor Joey, I hope the vets can make him feel better. Is Joey a rabbit? If so if I were you I would mention the other rabbit smelling like a farmyard, as it may be related and might help with diagnosis. Sending lots of vibes xx

Ditto- Both Zoobec and me are thinking that Coccidiosis may be involved. Unless the Vet is very Rabbit Savvy he/she may be unaware that in Adult Rabbits a heavy coccidia burden does not always present with diarrhoea, as is seen in Baby Rabbits with coccidiosis. In adult Rabbits one of the first signs is the 'sweet farmyard smell' you have mentioned

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?464941-Smelly-rabbit

Also, I know that you sadly lost Peggy yesterday. GPs can also get coccidiosis.

http://jcp.bmj.com/content/jclinpath/14/4/394.full.pdf

Sending vibes for Joey xx

Oh no I didn't know that piggies could get it too. What if it's spread between the 3 of them? I've got an appointment for 2.20. I hope they're rabbit savvy enough to sort this. I will mention everything you've said and if they can't help I'll look for another vet

The vet gave him a gut stimulant, I asked her about coccidiosis and she said she thinks it would be unlikely as it's normally seen in larger groups, like farm or show rabbits but she said I could worm them anyway. Would you say that's a good idea? I don't routinely worm them but I can order some panacur online tonight if it would help them at all. He had his gut stimulant and some metacam, she checked his temperature and said he was quite cold so has said to put a snuggle safe and a cat bed into his hutch tonight.

She gave me some oxbow critical care and when I got him home I gave him some apple (I know it's not the best but he loves it and I was hoping he'd eat something) and he ate a little bit of that, I have syringe fed him some critical care and also some water as I'm not sure how much he's drinking. I've left his usual dinner in his run and temporarily separated him from Izzy so I can see if he eats his pellets, so far he hasn't. I've massaged his stomach quite a bit but he just seems a bit lethargic and not himself. The vet said if he's no better I should ring and take him back first thing in the morning, I feel like we will probably be going back :(

Does anyone else have any advice? I've tried tempting him with all his favourite foods but he's not interested I'm not sure what else to do at this point

The vet gave him a gut stimulant, I asked her about coccidiosis and she said she thinks it would be unlikely as it's normally seen in larger groups, like farm or show rabbits but she said I could worm them anyway. Would you say that's a good idea? I don't routinely worm them but I can order some panacur online tonight if it would help them at all. He had his gut stimulant and some metacam, she checked his temperature and said he was quite cold so has said to put a snuggle safe and a cat bed into his hutch tonight.

She gave me some oxbow critical care and when I got him home I gave him some apple (I know it's not the best but he loves it and I was hoping he'd eat something) and he ate a little bit of that, I have syringe fed him some critical care and also some water as I'm not sure how much he's drinking. I've left his usual dinner in his run and temporarily separated him from Izzy so I can see if he eats his pellets, so far he hasn't. I've massaged his stomach quite a bit but he just seems a bit lethargic and not himself. The vet said if he's no better I should ring and take him back first thing in the morning, I feel like we will probably be going back :(

Does anyone else have any advice? I've tried tempting him with all his favourite foods but he's not interested I'm not sure what else to do at this point

Is she rabbit savvy? Because a wormer wouldn't do anything to coccidiosis. I must admit I've never experienced it in rabbits, it was with my first goat kids, but the treatment for coccidiosis for them - and I've seen it mentioned on here too was Toltrazuril (Baycox)

Sending lots of vibes xx

He has recovery food to syringe feed. He's very cold, we thought about bringing him in but thought a change might stress him out more so I've put him in the pet carrier with sides covered, lots of vetbed and towels inside and a hot water bottle.
I feel like he might be going, he's very lethargic and cold. I've lost all faith in my vets, I don't think they know much about rabbits at all and I'm worried that a surgery would just say what I want to hear to get money. I'm not sure where to turn now

I'm so sorry Joey is poorly & for the stress you are under too. I think keeping him comfortable in familiar surroundings with all that you've given him to keep him warm sounds sensible. I'd go for a second opinion in the morning. Many vibes Joey improves very soon x

He has recovery food to syringe feed. He's very cold, we thought about bringing him in but thought a change might stress him out more so I've put him in the pet carrier with sides covered, lots of vetbed and towels inside and a hot water bottle.
I feel like he might be going, he's very lethargic and cold. I've lost all faith in my vets, I don't think they know much about rabbits at all and I'm worried that a surgery would just say what I want to hear to get money. I'm not sure where to turn now

I am sorry that the Vet seemed not to be able to offer much help. I do hope that Joey has made it through the night ?

What part of Surrey, roughly, are you located ?

Maybe we could suggest a much more Rabbit Savvy Vet . If you could get to Windlesham then Gill Tose at Windlesham Village Vets is excellent. She did one of Inspector Morse's ultrasounds

http://windleshamvet.com.websitebuilder.prositehosting.co.uk/

There are a few more Vets in Surrey listed on here

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ve...-owners/copy_of_county-or-city/england/surrey

I'm in Haslemere, there's 2 vets on there that are about 40 minutes away which I don't mind doing I'm just a bit concerned about the long travel time for Joey. I don't know whether it's better to take him back to the vet I saw yesterday (which is what she said to do if he was no better) or find another one this morning. He's inside with me this morning, he's wrapped up in a towel and blanket with a hot water bottle

I'm in Haslemere, there's 2 vets on there that are about 40 minutes away which I don't mind doing I'm just a bit concerned about the long travel time for Joey. I don't know whether it's better to take him back to the vet I saw yesterday (which is what she said to do if he was no better) or find another one this morning. He's inside with me this morning, he's wrapped up in a towel and blanket with a hot water bottle

Personally I'd try to get him to a Rabbit Savvy Vet ASAP

Can you provide him with a heat pad ?

Has he had any input/output overnight ?

Is he drinking ?

I can't find my snugglesafes so he's got a hot water bottle, no output that I can see, not interested in food this morning. Should I syringe feed him again? He took it all last night but if it's not going through I'm not sure. I will get in contact with one of the other vets, thank you. Sorry I'm a bit all over the place

I can't find my snugglesafes so he's got a hot water bottle, no output that I can see, not interested in food this morning. Should I syringe feed him again? He took it all last night but if it's not going through I'm not sure. I will get in contact with one of the other vets, thank you. Sorry I'm a bit all over the place

I would not administer any more syringe feeds now. Only give water by mouth. Try to keep him warm and get him to the Vet ASAP. I really hope that he can pull through x

Popped by to see how your boy is & top up the vibes. I hope you can get an appointment with a good rabbit vet today x

I got him an appointment at 8.40. They were running behind so he didn't get seen until 9.30 and when the vet opened the box he'd died. He's doing a post mortem today and I can collect him at 5.30. I know Izzy should see him but is it a good idea if he's had a PM? he was a brilliant rabbit, I've gone straight to work so I don't think it'll really hit me until I get home later. Thank you for all your help xxx

Back