Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11 week boy mounting 11 week old girl - should I worry?

Quote Originally Posted by binkyCodie View Post
    really don't have them together at all - unless you are happy with the extreme risk. you don't realize how quickly it can be done, and at such a young age a pregnancy, sadly, will likely kill your doe. once she is pregnant nothing can be done as far as I am aware. I would also be very careful on living arrangements. any wider bars could allow one to squeeze through (determined little things), and there is will a possibility of them mating through bars if they really do try.

rabbit breeding is the one area that I have a bit of knowledge on and I don't even breed rabbits

That will be very useful

LouiseH is going through this at the moment

So, I thought and pop back and finish the story in case it's of any help to anyone. Good news - no babies! Advice take and we separated them. At 14 weeks Bertie was neutered and we managed to get Bella done at 16 weeks. We kept hem close to each other in separate accommodation throughout separation and regularly swapped them between hutches. We then started to re-introduce them a week after Bella's surgery (vet said that was OK). First attempt resulted in a scrap - so we left it a few days and tried again, second and third time we supervised closely for half an hour at a time. Then I put them in a slightly larger space with a hideaway hutch and tunnel and they were much more settled - him grooming her but getting nothing back. Next time in she suddenly starts grooming him and that's it, they're besties again :-). Now back to living together and playing out in the garden at the same time, so much nicer for them.

Thanks for the advice - I have to say I'm glad that stressful episode is complete!

Quote Originally Posted by BertieandBessy View Post
    So, I thought and pop back and finish the story in case it's of any help to anyone. Good news - no babies! Advice take and we separated them. At 14 weeks Bertie was neutered and we managed to get Bella done at 16 weeks. We kept hem close to each other in separate accommodation throughout separation and regularly swapped them between hutches. We then started to re-introduce them a week after Bella's surgery (vet said that was OK). First attempt resulted in a scrap - so we left it a few days and tried again, second and third time we supervised closely for half an hour at a time. Then I put them in a slightly larger space with a hideaway hutch and tunnel and they were much more settled - him grooming her but getting nothing back. Next time in she suddenly starts grooming him and that's it, they're besties again :-). Now back to living together and playing out in the garden at the same time, so much nicer for them.

Thanks for the advice - I have to say I'm glad that stressful episode is complete!

Thanks so much for coming back to finish the story

That's good news all round - no babies and happy bunnies. Also, a happy you - a bonus

Good to read about a good and normal outcome of a story from time to time, the internet tends to accumulate mostly negatives...

Quote Originally Posted by binkyCodie View Post
    really don't have them together at all - unless you are happy with the extreme risk. you don't realize how quickly it can be done, and at such a young age a pregnancy, sadly, will likely kill your doe.
    No, it wont. If she gets fed well a teen pregnancy is not a big risk for rabbits.
    Being how rabbits are, they would have wiped themself from the face of the planet long ago if it were otherwise

They really are sneaky and fast, one of my does got pregnant this spring and I still have no idea how they managed that, I take so much care to have the buck penned up when any other rabbits are in the garden, and vice versa.

Mating through bars is most likely a myth though, fueled by owners who get outsmarted by their little fluff balls.