Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 week boy mounting 11 week old girl - should I worry?

Default 11 week boy mounting 11 week old girl - should I worry?

Title says it all really - Bertie is booked in to be checked to see if he is ready for neutering late next week (vet originally said wait until 14weeks). Is there any risk she can get pregnant this young? Do I need to separate them.

I can't say for sure, but I do know that there has been instances of 11 week old bucks getting older does pregnant. Multiple breeders have reported of the incident. Bucks start to become fertile as soon as their bits start to develop at around 8-12 weeks.

Does can become pregnant at 3 months old, so 12 weeks, however if they did it would cause a whole load of health problems and possibly kill them.

I would separate, and make sure after he is neutered to keep them apart for 8 weeks I believe. Its not worth the risk.

Bucks also around this age become territorial. Fights could easily break out and screw up any later bonding.
    Last edited by binkyCodie; 22-05-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by BertieandBessy View Post
    Title says it all really - Bertie is booked in to be checked to see if he is ready for neutering late next week (vet originally said wait until 14weeks). Is there any risk she can get pregnant this young? Do I need to separate them.
    Whilst it's unlikely that the Doe could become pregnant at 11 weeks I would not risk keeping them together now. Not until the Buck has been neutered + 6 weeks.
    If the Rabbits were from a Pet Shop then the age you were told they were when purchased may not be their true age. They may be older which would of course increase the risk of an unwanted pregnancy.

Even without the 'pregnancy' issues, it will be very stressful for the Doe to have the Buck mounting her all the time.

Hope all goes well for the neutering/rebonding

Quote Originally Posted by binkyCodie View Post
    I can't say for sure, but I do know that there has been instances of 11 week old bucks getting older does pregnant. Multiple breeders have reported of the incident. Bucks start to become fertile as soon as their bits start to develop at around 8-12 weeks.

Does can become pregnant at 3 months old, so 12 weeks, however if they did it would cause a whole load of health problems and possibly kill them.

I would separate, and make sure after he is neutered to keep them apart for 8 weeks I believe. Its not worth the risk.

Bucks also around this age become territorial. Fights could easily break out and screw up any later bonding.

Yes, I agree with BinkyCodie

I just wouldn't risk getting the doe pregnant.

Very good advice

Thanks all, they are from a breeder so ages should be accurate - I'm thinking separate accommodation but supervised play dates to make sure there is no monkey business or fighting! It really is like having children! They are so sweet together at the moment, I don't want to ruin a friendship, but need to think about the long term and make sure they don't fall out. I feel so responsible for them, 2 weeks in and the whole house is totally soppy over them (perhaps with the exception of hubby!)

Wise Old Thumper

Thanks all, they are from a breeder so ages should be accurate - I'm thinking separate accommodation but supervised play dates to make sure there is no monkey business or fighting! It really is like having children! They are so sweet together at the moment, I don't want to ruin a friendship, but need to think about the long term and make sure they don't fall out. I feel so responsible for them, 2 weeks in and the whole house is totally soppy over them (perhaps with the exception of hubby!)
    Not a good idea and here is why, see post 7 on the following thread

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...e-Baby-Bunnies!

There wouldn't be any fighting, but you wouldn't be quick enough to stop any 'monkey business' .. It can happen in the twinkling of an eye. I just wouldn't risk that, if I were you - unless you can cope with the possible fallout

Wise Old Thumper

As others have said - not worth the risk - just blink and the deed will be done!

really don't have them together at all - unless you are happy with the extreme risk. you don't realize how quickly it can be done, and at such a young age a pregnancy, sadly, will likely kill your doe. once she is pregnant nothing can be done as far as I am aware. I would also be very careful on living arrangements. any wider bars could allow one to squeeze through (determined little things), and there is will a possibility of them mating through bars if they really do try.

rabbit breeding is the one area that I have a bit of knowledge on and I don't even breed rabbits

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by binkyCodie View Post
    really don't have them together at all - unless you are happy with the extreme risk. you don't realize how quickly it can be done, and at such a young age a pregnancy, sadly, will likely kill your doe. once she is pregnant nothing can be done as far as I am aware. I would also be very careful on living arrangements. any wider bars could allow one to squeeze through (determined little things), and there is will a possibility of them mating through bars if they really do try.

rabbit breeding is the one area that I have a bit of knowledge on and I don't even breed rabbits
    Yes, I've heard of them mating through bars - must be pretty clever at aiming.