• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

11 week boy mounting 11 week old girl - should I worry?

Title says it all really - Bertie is booked in to be checked to see if he is ready for neutering late next week (vet originally said wait until 14weeks). Is there any risk she can get pregnant this young? Do I need to separate them.

I can't say for sure, but I do know that there has been instances of 11 week old bucks getting older does pregnant. Multiple breeders have reported of the incident. Bucks start to become fertile as soon as their bits start to develop at around 8-12 weeks.

Does can become pregnant at 3 months old, so 12 weeks, however if they did it would cause a whole load of health problems and possibly kill them.

I would separate, and make sure after he is neutered to keep them apart for 8 weeks I believe. Its not worth the risk.

Bucks also around this age become territorial. Fights could easily break out and screw up any later bonding.

Last edited:
Title says it all really - Bertie is booked in to be checked to see if he is ready for neutering late next week (vet originally said wait until 14weeks). Is there any risk she can get pregnant this young? Do I need to separate them.

Whilst it's unlikely that the Doe could become pregnant at 11 weeks I would not risk keeping them together now. Not until the Buck has been neutered + 6 weeks.
If the Rabbits were from a Pet Shop then the age you were told they were when purchased may not be their true age. They may be older which would of course increase the risk of an unwanted pregnancy.

Even without the 'pregnancy' issues, it will be very stressful for the Doe to have the Buck mounting her all the time.

Hope all goes well for the neutering/rebonding :)

I can't say for sure, but I do know that there has been instances of 11 week old bucks getting older does pregnant. Multiple breeders have reported of the incident. Bucks start to become fertile as soon as their bits start to develop at around 8-12 weeks.

Does can become pregnant at 3 months old, so 12 weeks, however if they did it would cause a whole load of health problems and possibly kill them.

I would separate, and make sure after he is neutered to keep them apart for 8 weeks I believe. Its not worth the risk.

Bucks also around this age become territorial. Fights could easily break out and screw up any later bonding.

Yes, I agree with BinkyCodie :D

I just wouldn't risk getting the doe pregnant.

Very good advice :thumb:

Thanks all, they are from a breeder so ages should be accurate - I'm thinking separate accommodation but supervised play dates to make sure there is no monkey business or fighting! It really is like having children! They are so sweet together at the moment, I don't want to ruin a friendship, but need to think about the long term and make sure they don't fall out. I feel so responsible for them, 2 weeks in and the whole house is totally soppy over them (perhaps with the exception of hubby!)

Thanks all, they are from a breeder so ages should be accurate - I'm thinking separate accommodation but supervised play dates to make sure there is no monkey business or fighting! It really is like having children! They are so sweet together at the moment, I don't want to ruin a friendship, but need to think about the long term and make sure they don't fall out. I feel so responsible for them, 2 weeks in and the whole house is totally soppy over them (perhaps with the exception of hubby!)

Not a good idea and here is why, see post 7 on the following thread

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?464938-We-Have-Baby-Bunnies!

There wouldn't be any fighting, but you wouldn't be quick enough to stop any 'monkey business' .. It can happen in the twinkling of an eye. I just wouldn't risk that, if I were you - unless you can cope with the possible fallout :)

really don't have them together at all - unless you are happy with the extreme risk. you don't realize how quickly it can be done, and at such a young age a pregnancy, sadly, will likely kill your doe. once she is pregnant nothing can be done as far as I am aware. I would also be very careful on living arrangements. any wider bars could allow one to squeeze through (determined little things), and there is will a possibility of them mating through bars if they really do try.

rabbit breeding is the one area that I have a bit of knowledge on and I don't even breed rabbits :? :lol:

really don't have them together at all - unless you are happy with the extreme risk. you don't realize how quickly it can be done, and at such a young age a pregnancy, sadly, will likely kill your doe. once she is pregnant nothing can be done as far as I am aware. I would also be very careful on living arrangements. any wider bars could allow one to squeeze through (determined little things), and there is will a possibility of them mating through bars if they really do try.

rabbit breeding is the one area that I have a bit of knowledge on and I don't even breed rabbits :? :lol:

Yes, I've heard of them mating through bars - must be pretty clever at aiming.:?

That will be very useful :D

LouiseH is going through this at the moment :)

So, I thought and pop back and finish the story in case it's of any help to anyone. Good news - no babies! Advice take and we separated them. At 14 weeks Bertie was neutered and we managed to get Bella done at 16 weeks. We kept hem close to each other in separate accommodation throughout separation and regularly swapped them between hutches. We then started to re-introduce them a week after Bella's surgery (vet said that was OK). First attempt resulted in a scrap - so we left it a few days and tried again, second and third time we supervised closely for half an hour at a time. Then I put them in a slightly larger space with a hideaway hutch and tunnel and they were much more settled - him grooming her but getting nothing back. Next time in she suddenly starts grooming him and that's it, they're besties again :). Now back to living together and playing out in the garden at the same time, so much nicer for them.

Thanks for the advice - I have to say I'm glad that stressful episode is complete!

So, I thought and pop back and finish the story in case it's of any help to anyone. Good news - no babies! Advice take and we separated them. At 14 weeks Bertie was neutered and we managed to get Bella done at 16 weeks. We kept hem close to each other in separate accommodation throughout separation and regularly swapped them between hutches. We then started to re-introduce them a week after Bella's surgery (vet said that was OK). First attempt resulted in a scrap - so we left it a few days and tried again, second and third time we supervised closely for half an hour at a time. Then I put them in a slightly larger space with a hideaway hutch and tunnel and they were much more settled - him grooming her but getting nothing back. Next time in she suddenly starts grooming him and that's it, they're besties again :). Now back to living together and playing out in the garden at the same time, so much nicer for them.

Thanks for the advice - I have to say I'm glad that stressful episode is complete!

Thanks so much for coming back to finish the story :)

That's good news all round - no babies and happy bunnies. Also, a happy you - a bonus :D

Good to read about a good and normal outcome of a story from time to time, the internet tends to accumulate mostly negatives...:)

really don't have them together at all - unless you are happy with the extreme risk. you don't realize how quickly it can be done, and at such a young age a pregnancy, sadly, will likely kill your doe.

No, it wont. If she gets fed well a teen pregnancy is not a big risk for rabbits.
Being how rabbits are, they would have wiped themself from the face of the planet long ago if it were otherwise:lol:

They really are sneaky and fast, one of my does got pregnant this spring and I still have no idea how they managed that, I take so much care to have the buck penned up when any other rabbits are in the garden, and vice versa.

Mating through bars is most likely a myth though, fueled by owners who get outsmarted by their little fluff balls.:roll:

Back