• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter tray

Bunneywell

New Kit
Hello,

Just wondering what everyone uses in their litter trays? And also how often you clean them out?

We're currently using wood shavings and cleaning it out twice a day. Our little tray is a small corner one that's big enough for one bunny but it doesn't leave much room for hay at the front. From what I've seen it seems the larger rectangle ones are better, with a hay rack next to it, is this right?

Many thanks

I use wood pellet cat litter in mine. Shavings can cause respiratory problems due to the phenols being released, so I would reccomend using something else. A lot of people use newspaper in theirs. A bigger tray is much better, you can have hay at one end of the tray then. A lot of us use the low underbed storage boxes :thumb:

We adapted an old hamster cage, and use the tray for a litter tray, with newspaper and hay (Monty seems to prefer meadow hay, but he sometimes gets timothy hay). It also doubles as his carrying cage, just put the top back on, so that he's familiar with it, and I can leave some of his litter in so it smells of him when he has to go to the vet. I clean it out every couple of days when I do his hutch - but I keep an eye on it and do it more frequently if it needs it. I also have a couple of cardboard boxes with hay in at strategic intervals through the flat, which he uses as a litter tray, and which help to detract from his chewing things he shouldn't be.

plastic underbed storage box, lined with newspaper then straw and then hay on top. Changed twice daily - in the morning at breakfast time and then again in the evening

I use an underbed storage box with megazorb in the bottom the newspaper and hay on top of it. Makes cleaning out really easy as I just roll up the newspaper and scoop out any wet bits of megazorb. Currently I've ran out of newspaper and I really notice the difference in cleaning out and also the mess as they've managed to kick out some megazorb while running through the litter tray!

Wood stove pellets and timothy hay. The boxes are extra large cat litter trays and one underbid storage bin. I clean them out every three days or so.

Depends on how much space you have, but I use a 'potting tray', which is large, 3 high sides and low at the front. Layer of newspaper, covered with a layer of hay.

I use two large corner trays, with either wood pellets or paper pellets at the bottom to absorb any pee. I also use a layer of newspaper to make it easier to clean then I usually top it off with straw and a handful of timothy hay. I clean the litter trays out once a day.

Hello,

Just wondering what everyone uses in their litter trays? And also how often you clean them out?

We're currently using wood shavings and cleaning it out twice a day. Our little tray is a small corner one that's big enough for one bunny but it doesn't leave much room for hay at the front. From what I've seen it seems the larger rectangle ones are better, with a hay rack next to it, is this right?

Many thanks

Hi. I use wood cat litter pellets in mine like Zoobec and I would get a rectangle litter box with a hay rack.
Hope this helps :)

Back