• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oliver still pee spotting after baytril

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Olicer has been on baytril since 2nd May for his uti. Behaviour, appetite and pain wise he has improved alot. However he is still pee spotting small amounts but frequently. Sometimes when he runs off pee squirts out. He has no sludge . So am wondering what would still be causing the spotting? Maybe he needs longer on baytril. I will be speaking to my vet on Tuesday to see what she thinks. Just askin to see any suggestions.

Olicer has been on baytril since 2nd May for his uti. Behaviour, appetite and pain wise he has improved alot. However he is still pee spotting small amounts but frequently. Sometimes when he runs off pee squirts out. He has no sludge . So am wondering what would still be causing the spotting? Maybe he needs longer on baytril. I will be speaking to my vet on Tuesday to see what she thinks. Just askin to see any suggestions.

Whilst it is possible that there is still some infection it could be that Oliver has more sludge in his bladder that he cannot pass. If the sludge gets really thick it wont pass out and the Rabbit will spot drips of wee. Is he due to be examined by the Vet again soon ? Or has the Vet shown you how to safely palpate his bladder ? In doing so it is often possible to feel thick sludge. Palpating the bladder needs to be done very carefully, obviously and so if the Vet has not shown you how I would not try to do it yourself. I hope that Oliver is bright enough within himself xx

Oh Nicky, I am sorry to hear this!

I noticed you said in another post that he was spotting intermittently. Real sorry - you're doing all you can to keep on top of this.

I came across this:

http://www.rabbit.org/health/urolith.html

Urinating more frequently than usual and often outside the normal toilet area. Frequent inappropriate urination (especially "spraying" urine on vertical surfaces) can be seen as normal behavior in sexually mature intact male and female rabbits that are marking their territory. However, a rabbit that is experiencing bladder problems will usually not "spray" the urine on vertical surfaces, nor seem particularly interested in marking out a territorial boundary or certain items in a room. Occasionally a rabbit will be observed to "dribble urine" without knowing it and the hindquarters may be continually damp with urine. Please be aware that there are other diseases that can lead to urine staining of the hind quarters including sore hock, spinal disorders (arthritis, injuries, nerve damage), obesity (can't clean the hind quarters) and reproductive disorders.

I know he's on regular fluids and also is checked often, so my thinking is the same as yours - how can it be sludge?

So the only other thing that comes to my mind is that Baytril isn't the drug of choice for the Urinary Tract Infection he has, if he's got one. Your vet can express the bladder and then send a sample off to the lab for testing to see what antibiotic it's sensitive to.

Not sure how you want to take it from here. I so appreciate you are doing so much xx

Hi Jane , the vet palpitated Olivers bladder on May 2nd and she couldn't feel any sludge and she checked about 6 weeks prior and none, she felt hos bladder and expressed his bladder. He is on twice weekly sub q fluids. I know what u mean though if there is sludge, that's what happened before we started giving fluids. I wouldn't be comfortable feeling his bladder, as u say u have to be careful and would rather the vet did it. I will speak to her on Tuesday. Thanks for your advice.

Hi Jane , the vet palpitated Olivers bladder on May 2nd and she couldn't feel any sludge and she checked about 6 weeks prior and none, she felt hos bladder and expressed his bladder. He is on twice weekly sub q fluids. I know what u mean though if there is sludge, that's what happened before we started giving fluids. I wouldn't be comfortable feeling his bladder, as u say u have to be careful and would rather the vet did it. I will speak to her on Tuesday. Thanks for your advice.

That's OK, I am sure your Vet will be the best one to advise you as to what is best to do in Oliver's case :)

Hi Max, that's for taking the time to give me those helpful links . Yes the spotting is disappointing considering he has improved in other ways. Thankfully he is still in quite good form. That link was very interesting, thank you. I think u r right, the next step I think is to culture the urine ti see what antibiotic would work best. I am just speaking to my vet on Tuesday so will see what she says. Thanks again for your well wishes. X

Hi Max, that's for taking the time to give me those helpful links . Yes the spotting is disappointing considering he has improved in other ways. Thankfully he is still in quite good form. That link was very interesting, thank you. I think u r right, the next step I think is to culture the urine ti see what antibiotic would work best. I am just speaking to my vet on Tuesday so will see what she says. Thanks again for your well wishes. X

You're welcome :)

Hope you have a good night xx

You're welcome :)

Hope you have a good night xx
an exotic dvm is worth their weight in gold..--sounds like a uti.,-a urine test {as you suggest} is the way to go.,however always with-antibiotics-one must administer probiotics with the grasses,unless syringe feeding use a premix/syringe-sincerely james waller

Spoke to vet today, she said as he is showing signs of improving in other area to continue with the baytril for 10 more days to see if his tail lifting and peeing improves. That's a long with metacam. So will see how that goes.

Spoke to vet today, she said as he is showing signs of improving in other area to continue with the baytril for 10 more days to see if his tail lifting and peeing improves. That's a long with metacam. So will see how that goes.

Sounds Ok to me. Do you feel reassured by this Nicky? x

I think so! But I agree with trying easier stuff before risking xray .I think I just want to see Oliver improve sooner. Though he did perform for us in the garden yesterday by zoomin behind the trees and then running and doing one binky. Then lifting his tail to pee. He will only spend 5 mins in the garden, he never was a fan of the garden for some reason which I always found odd for a bunny !

If after 10 days there isn't much more improvement and we culture Olivers urine to get a specific antibiotic, are there many other antibiotics ou side of baytril to try for uti ??

There are lots of other types and it'll all depend on what the bacteria is sensitive too (if bacteria shows).
The reason vets prescribe baytril is because that's the only antibiotic licenced for use in rabbits.

Lots of vibes xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

If after 10 days there isn't much more improvement and we culture Olivers urine to get a specific antibiotic, are there many other antibiotics ou side of baytril to try for uti ??

Hi Nicky

Yes, there are others, depending on what the bacteria is sensitive to. Some vets think you can't culture the urine because they are already taking an antibiotic. Not so - they just have to tell the lab what the rabbit is already on.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

OK, thanks Max, I will be sure to say this if we culture. He is taking his meds very well , hubby is very good at holding him. Though he still pees on him every time lol

OK, thanks Max, I will be sure to say this if we culture. He is taking his meds very well , hubby is very good at holding him. Though he still pees on him every time lol
That can often happen when a Rabbit is not fully emptying their bladder 'naturally'. This is often an issue with bladder sludge prone Rabbits. I realise that getting to your Vet is tricky for you, but personally if Oliver is still spotting wee now I would be wanting the Vet to actually examine him again to check that there is not now a lot of sludge residue. I would just be a bit concerned about leaving it for another 10 days before a 'hands on' examination takes place.

As I said, I do understand that getting to your Vet is not straightforward for you, I am just passing on a suggestion based on what I have learned from caring for Rabbits with 'bladder sludge'. I am sure you will do what you feel to be right for Oliver :)

Perhaps ou could ring your vet in advance and see whether he thinks Oliver should be seen any sooner? Though I think your vet is on the right track, by the sounds of it :thumb:

Back