• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Low and High Calcium Forage

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
My newest Honeybunny will be landing soon. And he's a new one for me - he has a predisposition towards chalky wee. None of my current rabbits have issues with that, and all of them are fine with brassicas etc. So I won't be stopping picking things, but I do need to put more thought into who gets what.

These are the things I typically forage:
dandelion
sow thistle
thistle
goosegrass/cleavers
plantain
yarrow
hawthorn
willow
hazel
rowan
poplar
silver birch
maple
apple leaves
pear leaves
blackthorn
cow parsley
hogweed
herb robert
herb bennet (wood avens)
willowherbs
knapweed
mint
garlic mustard
chickweed
vetch
dog rose
lamium galeobdolon
bindweed
dock (young)
white dead nettle
red dead nettle
pineapple mayweed
scentless mayweed
bramble
clover
silverweed
cranesbill
bitterweed
dog violet
cat's ear
...there's possibly/probably more but I can't think right now.

Also, any commonly fed veg to typically avoid when aiming for a low calcium diet? (I know brassicas is one.)

Thank you. :)

Last edited:
what a miserable forage list - I bet you rabbits get sick of eating the same food day in, day out :lol:

I'm super impressed by that list. I remember FHB telling me dandelions are high in calcium

When it comes to veg, the darkest leafiest veg is the highest in calcium. eg. carrot tops, kale, spring greens etc are quite high, whereas lettuce is lower. Things like coriander and savoy cabbage are usually described by guinea pig people as 'moderate'.

Thank you both. :)

I knew dandelions was a high calc, j&b. Just added it for the completionist in me. It's such a miserable list, I know. I should be ashamed. ;)

I was just going to link the first FHB article. I found this interesting especially the advice regarding grass and other leafy vegetables being preferable to hay and nuggets for rabbits with sludgy urine.

Good impressive forage list there :thumb:

That's one impressive list! :D

As already mentioned, kale is high in calcium. I've also heard that parsley has a pretty respectable calcium level too.

My newest Honeybunny will be landing soon. And he's a new one for me - he has a predisposition towards chalky wee. None of my current rabbits have issues with that, and all of them are fine with brassicas etc. So I won't be stopping picking things, but I do need to put more thought into who gets what.

These are the things I typically forage:
dandelion
sow thistle
thistle
goosegrass/cleavers
plantain
yarrow
hawthorn
willow
hazel
rowan
poplar
silver birch
maple
apple leaves
pear leaves
blackthorn
cow parsley
hogweed
herb robert
herb bennet (wood avens)
willowherbs
knapweed
mint
garlic mustard
chickweed
vetch
dog rose
lamium galeobdolon
bindweed
dock (young)
white dead nettle
red dead nettle
pineapple mayweed
scentless mayweed
bramble
clover
silverweed
cranesbill
bitterweed
dog violet
cat's ear
...there's possibly/probably more but I can't think right now.

Also, any commonly fed veg to typically avoid when aiming for a low calcium diet? (I know brassicas is one.)

Thank you. :)

Hi there :wave:

I used to be concerned about the calcium content in parsley and kale, but I'm not now.

Pellets and hard water contain so much more (I proved this - long story - with one of my buns and urine tests!)

It may have been mentioned, but Frances Harcourt Brown doesn't worry about calcium in foods:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...t-for-rabbits-with-urinary-tract-disease/view
(click at the bottom for a PDF form of the article)

And I especially like this one :D

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

I just wanted to say I haven't completely forgotten or ignored this post since posting. Health derailed a little and we're not picking up this Wayward Honeybunny til next week now. I WILL read over the FHB links soon as I want to avoid problems as best I can with this little man. Thank you. :)

Back