Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: We Have Baby Bunnies!

So should I just put mums food out and let them share or should I put baby pellets in for them when mums out?

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Louise H View Post
    So should I just put mums food out and let them share or should I put baby pellets in for them when mums out?
    You could put half and half in the same bowl, it wont harm Mum to have some of the Breeder/Grower pellets, she could no doubt do with the extra protein they contain as she has been raising her Kits x

Wise Old Thumper

I agree with Jane. They can be fed unlimited pellets now as they will know what they need better than we do. I would, however, be careful with giving mum a different type of pellet and would suggest the gradual introduction, like with any new food. As she will be eating more pellets, she may well also have excess caecals, but this will settle when they are separated and she has her food gradually reduced back to a normal amount. Also, I'm sure you know, but they need as much hay as you can get in there, as this will promote good hay eating habits early. I would suggested fresh hay twice a day to keep them interested and eating it.

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Please feel free to visit my therapy website and also my Professional Facebook page and Blog. You might find something interesting there!

We've dropped the hay basket and water bottle down and I've seen the babies during the water occasionally and I've seen them sniffing the hay and eating the straw!!
    Our rabbits don't eat a lot of hay. They did ok until about 2 months ago, now they don't eat it much at all, which I know is concerning. Yet I've seen them both eat straw. I read on here to reduce pellets to encourage hay consumption and to be honest I do think they have more pellets than they should. The post said they could live happy and healthily on just hay and greens so as I can't reduce Willows pellets yet I've started with Inyx. Day 2 and not a noticeable change in any hay munching but they always eat plenty of grass when out. I'll start putting the babies some small pellets out in the morning. Could they have a mixture of adult and baby so that change over doesn't take so long later!!?

I should add that actually I have needed to fill Willows hay each day this week so she and possible the babies are eating hay. Perhaps she's not getting enough pellets so she's having to eat more hay.

Wise Old Thumper

Did anything change with your hay two months ago? What kind of hay do you buy?

Yes, babies can have a mix of foods. The reason that baby food is recommended is higher protein which is good for growing and is also good for mummy bunny too when she is dispelling a lot of energy on milk production and feeding.

The babies should be eating hay now. I've found a hay rack isn't great for getting bunnies to eat lots of hay unless it's over where they go to the toilet so, to increase hay consumption I would always suggest hay in the litter tray (in large amounts, obviously added to and changed regularly).

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Please feel free to visit my therapy website and also my Professional Facebook page and Blog. You might find something interesting there!

We did change the hay 2 months ago, just for them to try something else and they liked that too but then when we went back to the previous one they liked they didn't eat it. The hay used to be over the litter tray but then we separated them and they used the toilet in different corners so I moved the litter tray accordingly leaving the hay where it was. Should I try putting Willows in one side of her litter tray or just outside it on one side? Onyx's will be a bit trickier as he now has a corner tray. He still won't eat his hay after 3 days reduced pellets. He likes his grass though! We have plenty of that!

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/loui...D=1&sort=1&o=0
    Last edited by Louise H; 15-06-2017 at 08:18 PM.

How's your bunnies doing Louise?