Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We Have Baby Bunnies!

Wise Old Thumper

With any change in diet, there is a strong likelihood of an upset stomach. She will also be dealing with the additional stress of a litter, which may also show through excess caecals (which is most likely what this is). That said, can you see if she has done any regular, normal poo? Is she clean underneath?

I would gradually increase her pellets over the next few days until you are feeding unlimited pellets. As she feeds them, she will need more and more protein and, in the not too distant, babies will need unlimited pellets too. My experience is that when they eat unlimited pellets, they will get excess caecals.

Alfalfa is totally up to you. She doesn't need it, but for some rabbits it works for them. Just make changes gradually, and one at a time, because she is going through major changes and we don't want to stress her body more than it needs to be.

I don't know about echinacea though, sorry.
    Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Please feel free to visit my therapy website and also my Professional Facebook page and Blog. You might find something interesting there!

Quote Originally Posted by Louise H View Post
    Thank you so much. You are life savers. Oh and the echinacea I'm using is what I bought from Holland and Barratt it's A.Vogal Echinaforce Echinachea Drops. So how much should I use per 100ml??

Does that one have alcohol in it?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Does that one have alcohol in it?
    I've just checked the box and it says Ethanol which may be harmful to alcoholics so I'm presuming yes! Oh no. Which brand should I use that doesn't have alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky-O View Post
    With any change in diet, there is a strong likelihood of an upset stomach. She will also be dealing with the additional stress of a litter, which may also show through excess caecals (which is most likely what this is). That said, can you see if she has done any regular, normal poo? Is she clean underneath?

I would gradually increase her pellets over the next few days until you are feeding unlimited pellets. As she feeds them, she will need more and more protein and, in the not too distant, babies will need unlimited pellets too. My experience is that when they eat unlimited pellets, they will get excess caecals.

Alfalfa is totally up to you. She doesn't need it, but for some rabbits it works for them. Just make changes gradually, and one at a time, because she is going through major changes and we don't want to stress her body more than it needs to be.

I don't know about echinacea though, sorry.
    Her bottom is clean. I checked. She's had normal poo in her tray too. She spends most of her time sitting in her litter tray now. When I gave her extra pellets, she isn't eating them all for the sake of it. She eats her fill and there's always some left which she saves for later! It still doesn't look like she's touched her hay though.

Wise Old Thumper

Her bottom is clean. I checked. She's had normal poo in her tray too. She spends most of her time sitting in her litter tray now. When I gave her extra pellets, she isn't eating them all for the sake of it. She eats her fill and there's always some left which she saves for later! It still doesn't look like she's touched her hay though.
    She's smart. She will be running on instincts and, given that she is currently successfully raising her first litter, we have to trust them. She will do and eat what she needs.

Do the babies have nice, full, round tummies?
    Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Please feel free to visit my therapy website and also my Professional Facebook page and Blog. You might find something interesting there!

I've just checked the box and it says Ethanol which may be harmful to alcoholics so I'm presuming yes! Oh no. Which brand should I use that doesn't have alcohol?
    I wont butt in on Sky-O's expert advice, but this brand of Echinacea is alcohol free :

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/natures-a...d-extract-30ml

Hi Louise

I often recommend this brand:

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-...-fluid-extract

What you have bought is a very good brand, it works well (I have evidence!) and you can easily get rid of the alcohol in it before giving it to Mamma xx

(That's the reason I asked about the alcohol, not because what you bought wasn't good!)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    What you have bought is a very good brand, it works well (I have evidence!) and you can easily get rid of the alcohol in it before giving it to Mamma xx

(That's the reason I asked about the alcohol, not because what you bought wasn't good!)
    How do I get rid of the alcohol in it?? And how much should I use??

Quote Originally Posted by Sky-O View Post
    She's smart. She will be running on instincts and, given that she is currently successfully raising her first litter, we have to trust them. She will do and eat what she needs.

Do the babies have nice, full, round tummies?
    2 of them look very round but one of them is smaller. It's tummy isn't sunken and it's skin not wrinkly around it's tummy but it's 10g lighter than the other 2. Could this be because it's just the smallest or maybe female?? I don't want to handle them too much and maybe I should just rust mum. But I might check again tomorrow. I'm worried that I might do something that will cause her to reject them or something go wrong.